So, even though I'm kind of sold on the moto x right now for my art next upgrade,I still am considering the HTC one. But there's some questions/concerns I have and would love to hear from usersvwho have had the phone for a while to get a idea about how they feel about the phone a month or two later.

1. My main concern with this phone is that its not stock android. Its a OEM skin. I know people say its one of the better skins out their, but I'm concerned its going to slow down the phone a bit,make it confusing when I switch between using my nexus 7 and this phone. I know people like nova launcher,but am worried that since that's a third party,it won't be as smooth as something that was tied and meant for the hardware originally.

2. Other concern is battery life. I've heard some negative things in this regard,and want to hear what your experience with battery life is?b

3. Even though point releases of the android OS are becoming less and less relevant thanks to play services,but the fact that the HTC ONE is STILL on 4.1 in the states and the fact that HTC is in what seems like a company death spiral makes me apprehensive of commiting to this phone for the next year and a half to two years. Do you guys think those are big deals?

Thanks for all the feedback
    09-06-2013 11:11 AM
    You can do a non root conversion to the Google play edition and have great hardware with stock android and receive timely updates OTA.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    09-06-2013 11:20 AM
    In my experience so far, Sense 5 is the best performing UI overlay I've used to date. It is the closest thing to Vanilla Android with regards to smoothness and not being too aggressive in overriding certain behaviors (i.e., how folders are created).

As for the Android point release update, it's anticipated to be updated to 4.3 by the end of this month. As for their financial state and how it could impact future support, I can't answer that one. I think it goes without saying that a device can't be supported by a company that doesn't exist. I'll take a guess that so long as there aren't technical restrictions that would prevent a device from being updated, they will continue to support it, with regards to having the latest Android revision. Those type of restrictions have often times been the case in the past, but most article writers and people who claim that they don't dupe support as expected, tend to ignore that aspect.

My battery life so far has been the best out of all the HTC devices I've owned. There is a sticky thread in this forum, where you can see real world examples of the battery life that HTC One owners have been achieving.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-06-2013 11:26 AM
    I completely agree with Habiib's post.

In my opinion, HTC's Sense is by far the best Android Skin; it has a clean and organized overall look that I don't mind it's not stock Android. Other Android skins (not naming them) found in many Android smartphones offer more functionality however I find some to be too cluttered. I also use Nova Launcher when I want to change the way my home screen looks and I find it very smooth.

I'm happy with my HTC One's battery life, last time I charged it was 5 hours ago and I have 64% left to be precise. I always have Power Saver on and it really makes a huge difference.

My phone's firmware version is 4.2.2. A new HTC One comes with firmware 4.1 and is upgradable to 4.2. And HTC confirmed that 4.3 update will be released by the end of this month.
    09-06-2013 12:07 PM
    Even if HTC is going on a death spiral, some other company might / will buy it out (or HTC might buy another company when filing for bankruptcy)..funny how that works out...
    Anyway.. I wouldn't be too concerned about future support for this phone. as mentioned above, an good update is on it's way and to tell you the truth, asides from some advantages you will get with 4.3, this phone does not need much updates as it has been running very fast and very smooth.... Ohh.. did I mention VERY smooth!... ?
    09-06-2013 12:10 PM
    My battery is great best iv ever owned I read a thread on these forums turned some things off n my battery lasts all day with a decent amount of use fully charged I'll stay in the 90s for hours untouched that tells me I have hardly any battery drain good luck

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    09-06-2013 12:42 PM
    Isn't the way you put the GPE ROM on the HTC ONE is to root it,unlock the boot loader,and then do sent that void my warranty?

How do you make the phone a Google play edition without rooting?
    09-06-2013 12:43 PM
    Maybe this is incorrect thinking, but since I'm going to be paying full unsubsidized retail price (although in monthly payments of 27 dollars via art next) I think I should try to get the most value that I can. I don't think I'm comfortable paying nearly the same amount for the moto x as I would be the HTC ONE when the HTC ONE has a better screen, audio, and build quality.

The one thing that makes me nervous,again,is the software and getting updates. I've been using stock android forever and I'm unsure if sense 5 would be a downgrade in usability and enjoyment.

Also, I'm going to be very depressed if I'm constantly 3 to 6 months behind with this phone when it comes to OS updates. Hopefully play services eases that pain,but they can only do so much with that,right?they can't make optimization improvements via that, correct?
    09-06-2013 01:40 PM
    I would go with the one. I have one and also an N7 and have no problem going between the two. I also use Nova launcher and it is great. It gives me a great experience.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    09-06-2013 01:59 PM
    There is a non-root method to convert the HTC One to GPE. You have to get S-Off. change the CID, and then you install the GPE RUU. Here is a tutorial with video: How to Convert Any HTC One into a Stock Google Play Edition with Bootloader, Recovery, & OTA Updates HTC One softModder

I recommend also checking out the XDA links in the tutorial for any updates to the process. I am a complete noob with Android (just switched from iPhone 5 3 or 4 weeks ago) and I was able to do this without any problems. 4.3 was out already but I used the 4.2.2 RUU so that I could make sure the OTA update worked and it did flawlessly. Essentially, I now have a GPE HTC One without rooting (can't root because work email won't work if I do (Good for Enterprise)) that will get OTA updates.

There are some features from sense that I would have liked to keep (e.g., FM radio, HTC TV app, and camera) but I prefer vanilla and value getting updates regularly and timely more than those few items.

It is things like having the choice to convert my phone to a GPE that makes me love Android.
    09-06-2013 02:20 PM
    So I went a a ATT store earlier today to play around with the HTC One to see how I liked sense 5 and the feel of the phone:

1. Sense 5 actually didn't seem to bother me. I like how the setting menu looked aesteticaly and I like the visual pop the UI had.

2. Why the hell is their 10 ATT apps on this thing? Oh well, far as I can tell I can disable most of them. But that doesn't free up space, right?

3. Couldn't test the camera properly due to their stupid security sensor on the phone being right over the lense. Ugh.

4. The calendar, keyboard, and email client seemed OK, but I'm going to be replacing them with googles equivalents.

5. I kinda like the organizing they do with the app compartment (automatically grouping like things, but can that be disabled if I want to?

6. I miss quick access toggles

7. Phone seemed snappy. But I couldn't use it a ton and performance is something I robaly need to have the phone for a few weeks to see how it holds up.

So, all in all i liked using the phone and will probably be picking it up on october 3rd instead of the moto x. Unless HTC doesn't get 4.3 out by Oct. 3rd. That might be the deal killer because of that would be ridiculous.
    09-06-2013 04:04 PM
    androidcentral said the best smartphone you can get in october is the HTC ONE.

anyone who says otherwise is because they made the mistake of buying something else (usually the samsung).
    09-06-2013 05:28 PM
    So I went a a ATT store earlier today to play around with the HTC One to see how I liked sense 5 and the feel of the phone:

1. Sense 5 actually didn't seem to bother me. I like how the setting menu looked aesteticaly and I like the visual pop the UI had.

2. Why the hell is their 10 ATT apps on this thing? Oh well, far as I can tell I can disable most of them. But that doesn't free up space, right?

3. Couldn't test the camera properly due to their stupid security sensor on the phone being right over the lense. Ugh.

4. The calendar, keyboard, and email client seemed OK, but I'm going to be replacing them with googles equivalents.

5. I kinda like the organizing they do with the app compartment (automatically grouping like things, but can that be disabled if I want to?

6. I miss quick access toggles

7. Phone seemed snappy. But I couldn't use it a ton and performance is something I robaly need to have the phone for a few weeks to see how it holds up.

So, all in all i liked using the phone and will probably be picking it up on october 3rd instead of the moto x. Unless HTC doesn't get 4.3 out by Oct. 3rd. That might be the deal killer because of that would be ridiculous.
    3. there's an entire thread, here, devoted to HTC ONE pics. check it out if you want to see what the camera can do.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...you-got-d.html

4. i prefer swiftkey. but i know, from reading extensively here, that people also love the google keyboard and something called kii.

6. i got power toggles and it rocks

also, i am using nova settings. i don't know sh*t about android. i come from years and years on blackberry. but nova totally changed the way i thought about this phone. much improved experience...highly recommend.

oh and to your original post...i have read a ton of threads about battery life. every phone is different. and i mean every htc one not just every android phone. we all have different apps, different settings and use our phones differently. so there is no meaningful way to compare phones. i will say, though, that my battery life improved after a week or so. i suspect i was dicking around with my phone less after the initial learning phase. of course now that i am addicted to instagram, i have poor battery performance days. but therein lies the bottom line: if your screen is on a lot, expect a shorter battery life. with 'normal' use, you can probably get 12 hours a day no problem. i do.

good luck.
    09-06-2013 05:45 PM