New owner of Verizon HTC One with a few questions

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a Galaxy S3 (had an iphone 4 for a week before the One).

It is taking me a bit to get used to some things/difference.

1) Is there a setting to wake the screen with incoming text/email?
2) is there a way to toggle the sound profile from lockscreen in notification bar? I downloaded power toggles and that has replaced most of the functionality of TW, but that toggle doesn't seem to work when phone is locked on the One.
3) I assume their is no easy way (without root) to wake phone other than power button? Not a fan of this arrangement yet.

Thanks in advance.

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
You can install a third party app for that. There are lots on the Google Play Store, like Textra, SMS WakeUp, SMSAwake, Screen Notifications.

Lock Screen Notifications has an option to wake the screen when you receive a new SMS/email.

Or you can simply have Notification preview enabled in the stock Messages settings, this option will show a preview of the message on lockscreen and will wake the screen when it does.

David_LFC

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
3. there are a couple of apps that used the proximity sensor (or shake) to wake.

I tried them but they weren't very accurate so I uninstalled... Was also concerned on the impact on battery but didn't leave rerunning long enough to analyse.

Think was was called autoscreen on or was similar anyway.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think the answer to everyone of your questions is no.

The answer to every one of his questions is....yes.

There are apps stated by the other posters that are dead on with the OPS's requests. I have tried most of them. While some work as advertised, some suck like a baboon wearing lingerie.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all. I searched a bit (duh) and found most of what I was looking for.

I tried power toggles but couldn't change sound profile from it, so I installed widgetsoid and so far so good.

I also installed notify me! For email and SMS and calendar badges. Stock lockscreen worked accept for gmail app, that sucks and is dumb.

Then I downloaded screen notifications for waking the screen for notifications.

Doesn't seem like there is a reliable scrren waking method besides power button.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all. I searched a bit (duh) and found most of what I was looking for.

I tried power toggles but couldn't change sound profile from it, so I installed widgetsoid and so far so good.

I also installed notify me! For email and SMS and calendar badges. Stock lockscreen worked accept for gmail app, that sucks and is dumb.

Then I downloaded screen notifications for waking the screen for notifications.

Doesn't seem like there is a reliable scrren waking method besides power button.

Auto screen ON works. You can either set it to turn on by waving your hand over the sensors or set it to turn on by double tapping the sensors. Either way. It does use some more battery as it keeps your sensors active but only by 1% an hour + or -. I've been using it for over a month now and am pleased with it. Sometimes though, the phone will automatically turn on but for only the time set for screen to turn off in your settings so it's not a real big deal. It's a simple trade off for having to use your power button all the time.

Remember though, if you do install this, install Auto screen OFF (a plug in by same developer) so your screen turns off at the allotted time you set.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Galaxy S3 (had an iphone 4 for a week before the One).

It is taking me a bit to get used to some things/difference.

1) Is there a setting to wake the screen with incoming text/email?
2) is there a way to toggle the sound profile from lockscreen in notification bar? I downloaded power toggles and that has replaced most of the functionality of TW, but that toggle doesn't seem to work when phone is locked on the One.
3) I assume their is no easy way (without root) to wake phone other than power button? Not a fan of this arrangement yet.

Thanks in advance.

1) Download an app called "Glowfly" or "Sliding Messenger". Glowfly is an add-on that replaces the notification of your stock SMS app, it is not an SMS app, itself. It will light up your screen and you can even set it to have a popup that you can respond directly to on your lockscreen. It's a great app with a solid Dev. Sliding Messenger is a full SMS app. It's got another really good popup that you can reply from and maintains some stock messenger look and feel. Both are not free, but both are REALLY worth the price. I highly recommend both.

2) If you have the Verizon One it is on 4.2.2. You can wake the screen with the lock button and do a two finger swipe on the notification bar. This will bring up your quick settings. From there you can change the sound profile without ever unlocking your phone.

3) No clue on that one.

Hope this all helps.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
1) Download an app called "Glowfly" or "Sliding Messenger". Glowfly is an add-on that replaces the notification of your stock SMS app, it is not an SMS app, itself. It will light up your screen and you can even set it to have a popup that you can respond directly to on your lockscreen. It's a great app with a solid Dev. Sliding Messenger is a full SMS app. It's got another really good popup that you can reply from and maintains some stock messenger look and feel. Both are not free, but both are REALLY worth the price. I highly recommend both.

2) If you have the Verizon One it is on 4.2.2. You can wake the screen with the lock button and do a two finger swipe on the notification bar. This will bring up your quick settings. From there you can change the sound profile without ever unlocking your phone.

3) No clue on that one.

Hope this all helps.

Thanks! I literally just realized about the 2 finger swipe for toggles and came her to post that, lol.

I will take a look at glowfly and sliding messenger.

"notify me!" isn't bad either for me so far. Man I wish the stock lockscreen supported the gmail app.

Thanks again.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I literally just realized about the 2 finger swipe for toggles and came her to post that, lol.

I will take a look at glowfly and sliding messenger.

"notify me!" isn't bad either for me so far. Man I wish the stock lockscreen supported the gmail app.

Thanks again.

No problem at all. I alternate between those two SMS apps. They aren't real expensive, and I've had nothing but good luck with them.

Hope you like your new One after you get these couple of things worked out!

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I've just downloaded Auto Screen on. I think it works very well. Brings screen on as I take it out my pocket and also if I cover proximity sensor briefly with my thumb then move it away. Battery consumption has been minimal and I've been using it a lot today to test it. Couple it with a screen off app and you can resign the power button to just that - power on and off.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech