HTC One (Battery Life)

Don164

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the HTC One and when I got it, it was on Android 4.1. The phone worked like a breeze, the battery life was fantastic although I charged it everyday that was mainly because I used to play games and watch videos often and I reckon with minimal usage, I could have gotten 2 days out of a single full charge. As a UK resident, when the Android 4.2 update finally rolled out, I updated my phone within 2 days and while I appreciate the changes, the battery life has gone down. I can see noticeable drain of it and now with minimal usage I only get a day out of my phone. Before when I charged my phone to 100% at night, when I woke up, the phone would have been like 98 or even 99% sometimes even still 100% but after the update battery life drains by over 10% at night with no usage. During the day if i watch some normal youtube videos for half an hour, 20% of the battery gets drained whereas before it would have been probably 5.
I attribute to whatever the problem is to the update as this was when all this started happening, one post even suggested I check my settings although i haven't changed anything apart from just updating my phone.

I was wondering has anyone had this problem and if so and you got your phone fixed can you please help me ?! Thanks all

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It sounds as if Google Now is working now but wasn't before. You can look at your battery statistics and wake locks to see what exactly is draining your battery, but location services, which Google Now uses a lot of, tend to drain a battery like that.

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 4.3 and I did notice slower charging at home, but with battery saver enabled my phone stays at 100% charge for an hour sitting in my pocket not being used. This of course is in an area with good reception. And yes that matters when it comes to battery life due to the fact it's never wasting battery searching for signal. In areas where I only get a couple of bars having the phone in my pocket interferes with reception causing more battery usage.

It's been mentioned in another thread to download Battery Monitor Widget. You can use this to gauge your usage and charging times. I've found this app quite interesting because it proved what I already knew. My phone actually charges faster in the car than it does at home on the charger the phone came with.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

OSUbeaver23

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you are still having issues with battery life, but if so try this out...

Under Settings -> Wifi, look for the Options (or whatever the 3-dot symbol stands for) in the upper right hand corner and go in to Advanced. There's a box that says Best Wi-Fi Performance, if it's checked then uncheck that box! This one change made my HTC One battery life almost triple after doing it, and I haven't noticed any loss in WiFi signal at all. Hopefullly that helps.

Howard Matthews

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I had a battery problem recently. My HTC One battery was dying extremely fast. I removed any apps I hardly used, switched location reporting off and uninstalled updates on all Google apps. But it didn't change. Then installed battery doctor, which seem to help a lot and got me through the day. Before all the trouble I easily got through the day. So I had battery doctor for two weeks. Then yesterday I decided to see if removing battery doctor and going back without it to see if my battery still had a problem. Now my HTC One lasts longer than it ever has!. Currently as o type this it has 42% battery left after being powered on 15 hours!. Still don't know really what the glitch was and now running power saver all the time.

Petero1818

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
So I don't know if this is of use to any of you but I had the same problem and none of the above fixes worked. I received a message from another reader on the HTC Canada website, and it did the trick.
Go to wifi settings and choose advanced and go to the "keep wifi on during sleep" and select never. This has fixed my battery problem and I can now get through a day again as I was able before. In fact, my phone has been on from 7:30 Am to 5:00 PM and is still at 74%. Last week it would have been at 40% or lower.

Ian Cameron

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One (Battery Life) Improvement.

I came across this problem a number of times on a variety of devices that used an Android OS.

One piece of information I gained was that the power left in the battery is a prediction based on the number of apps being used and how much energy they use. It's not like a fuel guage which physically measures the amount of fuel and tells you what's there. It's a prediction based on your usage. Sometimes this can get messed up.

I've successfully tried Battery HD, which is a free app, to recalibrate the battery, then cycled it twice. This has saved the customer having to physically replace the battery, which on a HTC One is a complete nightmare.

Regards,

Ian.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't keeping it in Wi-Fi reduce the amount of battery that is used? My only thought is that when your phone goes to sleep that when on radio it only looks for new information once every so often and keeping the Wi-Fi connection on could be a constant drain on battery.
My question is that why during the day on normal use "for me" I'm getting what seems like half the usage as I did previous to the update. Basically my one for what I need my phone to do is not getting the job done now.
I find that all to often I'm plugging my one in during the day. Every few hours probably. I check social networking and text often. Maybe browse the internet periodically but nothing huge.
I've always been a big HTC fan and its frustrated me enough that I actually got a lg flex. If there was a way to have decent battery through my day then I would of never had to do this.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I've owned an HTC One ever since it became available in the US for AT&T, and I haven't had any battery issues. I routinely charge my One overnight to 100%, then unplug it at 4:30 am and head off to work. By 7:00 pm I'm usually down to about 60% charge, which I think is great. I do have the app called "Tasker" installed with some profiles to turn off the WiFi on the One when I'm not at home, and I think that helps to conserve power. During the day, I normally don't make any phone calls but I do stream podcasts for about 1 hour and use various news apps to read news at lunch and during break times.

Since moving to KitKat, I haven't seen a change in charging or battery loss. Just my two cents...

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

I've owned an HTC One ever since it became available in the US for AT&T, and I haven't had any battery issues. I routinely charge my One overnight to 100%, then unplug it at 4:30 am and head off to work. By 7:00 pm I'm usually down to about 60% charge, which I think is great. I do have the app called "Tasker" installed with some profiles to turn off the WiFi on the One when I'm not at home, and I think that helps to conserve power. During the day, I normally don't make any phone calls but I do stream podcasts for about 1 hour and use various news apps to read news at lunch and during break times.

Since moving to KitKat, I haven't seen a change in charging or battery loss. Just my two cents...

Dang I sure wish that I had that kind of use. I did at one time and I also got my one on pre order from Sprint and in fact always have gotten HTC phones on release day.
I have a mophie juice pack that I've had also but recently it seems I'm fighting to keep it charged to because my one was always in it. I'm just keeping my one as a back up phone now and can use it on Wi-Fi for internet browsing and emails etc.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

jemcmichael

May 13, 2011
Visit site
My battery was awful after the update. I did a factory reset and installed Easy Battery. Yesterday, it lasted over 12 hours and was down to 40% when I went to bed. Much, much, better

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

cheo450

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I've notice that "Google Services" is using almost all my battery. Before didn't have this issue. I have android 4.2.2
Screenshot_2014-05-05-13-29-06.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I've notice that "Google Services" is using almost all my battery. Before didn't have this issue. I have android 4.2.2
View attachment 116568

I think the best way to save battery (I found) is:

- Disable/Remove ALL un-used apps;
- Change sync settings to when open (I find using Snapdragon BatteryGuru is very effective)
- Use AutoMateIt/Tasker to make events trigger power saving actions.
- Minimise Widgets being used, as these require data to refresh
- If in poor reception, put phone into Airplane Mode (also when you're sleeping you do not really want calls anyway)

I achieve all of this with the following:

1- 2 Rules on AutoMateIt; when battery is less than 30% disable: sync, WiFi, 3/4G, set screen to 25% brightness, with 1 minute timeout and; If WiFi is idle/not connected, disable with a delay of 5 minutes.

2- Snapdragon on, with all programs set to sync when opened, not in background. Although some exceptions are made; Weather, Traffic and E-Mail.

3- I disable the stock SMS and use Hangouts (or vice versa), disable Mail and use G-Mail, disable all inbuilt notes, task and internet as we often use our own defaults etc.

All in all after doing this, I now can use my phone almost continually from 05:00am to 09:00pm and have 30-40% left.

These simple things help extend battery life considerable- although having apps like this run in the background can be just as draining. Been on my phone for 14 hours, almost continually and I'm at 37%.

HTC One M7

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Is it me or has the battery life gotten worse as the phone has gotten older. Has this happened to anyone else?

That's generally the case with batteries- from 'wear and tear'; you need to keep your battery charging consistent, and try and monitor the usage etc. If you 'train' your battery with consistent charges it should keep it's 'health' in such.

As with everything, it ages. There are some apps which monitor life of the battery, and Android now has this inbuilt. If you can, just replace the battery and implement a 'charging routine'.