Still top phone?

kombatkarl

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm up for a new phone. I'm Verizon so my options are the HTC One, Moto X, Droid Ultra, and Galaxy S4. I'm leaning towards the One, but it's a 5 month old phone. Is it still considered a top phone? Thanks for any input.

joshwithachance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I still find the One to be the lead flagship of 2013. And it's only a few weeks old on Verizon. After a love affair with the Note 2 I just ordered a red One!

Last edited:

Bradski9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Go to any store and look at the display models of the phones you listed (or best buy and try out the os) and if you still haven't decided watch video reviews online. take into consideration what you yourself look for in a phone (what features will you use most?) for me it was the front speakers so the HTC one was a clear choice, I haven't had any regrets yet.

dad2paisley

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Take reviewers with a grain of salt. It's all for me about the experience not specs, or it's number one phone, latest craze, etc. It could be the best phone out there, but if the experience stinks then you got to deal with it for your contract term.

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The phone is great, with two huge flaws: (1) It does not support rapid charging, and (2) it overheats when charging and simultaneously using resource intensive apps.

The result is that you will have problems if you intend to use GPS navigation in the car while driving (at least if you go on long trips).

Posted via Android Central App

thezeke

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up the One tonight.. Love it!! Came from a DNA and iPhone 5 before that.. The One & DNA are hands down the best phones I've owned to date..

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
After all the expected phones have released, One is still my hero...note looks cool but not practical for me...I work impatient half the time wear scrubs there's no way note can fit in my pocket. Plus I don't really use headphones/Bluetooth, it's kinda weird holding it to me ear lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Really depends on your priorities and needs from your device. I own and use both the One and the S4.

If you value looks over durability and ergonomics, go with the One. It is sexy and shiny but it's button placement has been described as among the worst ever and I would have to agree. The S4 although plastic, has newer Gorilla glass and the plastic back allows for better durability and easier replacement. Also, if put a case on your phone the aluminum vs. plastic argument becomes moot.

If screen real estate is important, go with the S4 or G2. The One starts off with a smaller screen than those devices and then because it HTC decided to forego a menu key there is a large black bar across many popular apps such as Facebook, eating into the display. Allegedly this will be cured with an update but there are no hard release dates for US models and the phone has been out for months...which leads to another factor...

If timely updates are important, you may wish to look elsewhere. The One was not launched with the latest version of Jellybean and as of yet has not been updated in the US. Features like lockscreen widgets are as of yet elusive. Making matters more complicated, given HTC's implosion in the press each day(financial troubles, high level departures, espionage,etc.) the company's ability to provide updates is up in the air.

If you will use the photos for anything other than social media, look elsewhere as the lack of mega-pixels makes the One non-competitive with other flagships when it comes to details in pictures and the ability to zoom and crop. Further, look thru some of the threads here about the purple tint issue which apparently is so pervasive that HTC has promised a fix. That being said, Zoes and Highlights are unique and excellent gimmicks that haven't appeared on other devices.

If you keep your phone on vibrate and/or listen to media thru headphones, then BoomSound is negated and the One sounds no better than any other flagship.

If being able to modify the status light is important, the light on the One cannot be modified unlike on the G2 or S4.

There are many other differences but it really depends on your usage. The One is a great looker, rarely lags or crashes and has a good enough camera to Facebook etc. Hard to make a mistake with any of the flagships.

good luck.