I loled - Why iPhone is better than the HTC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
He does list his twitter profile on the page. Anyone try to send him a message that his article is a complete joke?

There is also a way to leave comments to the article if you sign into twitter.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is WOW! And just like everyone in America....He's lazy! :p Just like me but I love my HTC One and my Swiftkey Keyboard! And no Apple, Microsoft or anything for that matter will rip it from my hands! Unless I'm dead of course :p

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Reformatted OP in order to comment....

https://medium.com/this-happened-to-me/ca5bd05ffcc2

1. The packaging was cheap, dirty, and seemed to be only an inferior replication of the experience of opening an Apple product. It wasn?t a huge deal, so I pressed on.

2. I consider myself a technically capable person and I was excited to explore the customization aspect of the open platform of the Android OS. However, after an hour or so, I felt hopelessly overwhelmed at all of the options at my disposal. Sure, I can customize the keyboard and change it if I don't like the stock one?but why should I have to spend any time doing so? Shouldn't the keyboard be optimium right out of the box? (For the record, I felt very frustrated by unintuitive nature of the keyboard.)

3. Being on an Android device is like being in the Wild Wild West. If I had a problem, who would I turn to? AT&T? HTC? Android/Google? Amazon? There is no [Apple] store to run to when you have an issue.

4. The charger itself was absolutely utilitarian. Standard black. The gauge was so thick that it was hard to make entirely straight, or wrap into a perfect circle. It was a stark contrast to Apple?s charger.
As I'm writing this, I'm boxing up my HTC One to send back to Amazon and will be preordering my iPhone 5S on September 20.

1. I Don't personally own an HTC One, but I can tell that I've never judged a device based on it's packaging...if this bothers you enough to comment, you have messed up priorities, IMO.

2. How does "excited to explore" turn into "hopelessly overwhelmed" in only an hour?!? Second, the fact that you can change keyboards is a definite *PLUS* for Android, there really should be no argument about that...but, regarding the author's comments regarding the stock keyboard, what about it did you not find to be "optimum" and/or "intuitive"? Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but could he at least elaborate??? I'm a Swiftkey user myself, but I find the stock keyboard, though simple in design and lacking in some of the extra features that 3rd party keyboards provide, quite functional...especially when compared to the very simple iPhone keyboard.
(Note: As mentioned, I don't own an HTC One, so I'm not sure if HTC has their own stock keyboard or if they use the default Google Keyboard...but I doubt that would change my opinion).

3. Well, your first stop could be Android Central forums! Seriously though, call AT&T or whomever your provider is. I actually find it funny to think that the average iPhone user would "run to the Apple store" with every little problem that pops up...

4. First, this comment is silly. Second, hey, guess what?!? Android uses standard MicroUSB for charging, so if you don't like the charger that came with your phone, it's very easy to get another one...heck, if you're like me, you already have about a dozen of them lying about your house somewhere. To me, Apple's proprietary connectors and chargers have always been a huge MINUS when comparing devices.

Now I feel stupid for taking the time to type out responses to this...

The only thing I miss from Apple is iMessage and I feel like SMS integration with Hangouts is moving painfully slow.

Agreed...SMS integration is one thing still missing from Hangouts, but hey, at least you can use Hangouts on Android *AND* iOS devices, as it is cross-platform. The advantages of iMessage are really only evident if your messaging with someone else with an iDevice.

Last edited:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Agreed...SMS integration is one thing still missing from Hangouts, but hey, at least you can use Hangouts on Android *AND* iOS devices, as it is cross-platform. The advantages of iMessage are really only evident if your messaging with someone else with an iDevice.

For me it was the fact that a text message went to my iMac or iPad if i was at another location and my phone wasn't handy. And no mightytext was not the same because I could use this if my phone was dead.

Grizzly_Atoms

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
There are a lot of people who are plenty intelligent but don't have the desire or care to spend time tooling around with new devices. As we have seen many times, moving from one operating system to another is not easy... not because any of the tasks are difficult, but because of the paradigm associated with established usage patterns. If you're expecting your iPhone to look, feel or act in any way like an Android device might, expect disappointment; and vice-versa.

I like playing with new devices to see how things are done on other platforms, but I must admit that it's frustrating to occasionally encounter something that's SO easy the way I'm used to do it, and needlessly complicated on another device... but the thing to remember is that what's easy to me is most likely easy because it's familiar, not necessarily because the process is objectively more efficient.

I agree with this 100%! I know plenty of very well educated people with busy lives that don't give a sh*t about custom roms, or live wall papers. They just want to make calls and take some photos to post on FB or instagram. It doesn't make them dumb, or iSheep. It's kind of funny, lots of the comments lambasting Apple fanyboys are themselves hopeless Android nutswingers! Such irony.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The Apple charge is just Soooo much better that it makes everything else pale by comparison. Personally, I choose every electrical device based on the quality of the charger and/or cord. Doesn't everybody?

ROFLOL!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There is however one bit of truth in what he says (I think);

"I want to walk into a nice shiny store, describe my issue to a friendly employee, and walk out with a working product. I see this as one insurmountable advantage that Apple has over Android devices."

If you could actually count on doing that, it would be great. The one time I walked into an apple store with a non-working iPod Touch (my son's), they couldn't do anything, and I walked out with the same non-working crap that I walked in with. The idea that just because they have a store, they have great service is a bad joke.

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
If you could actually count on doing that, it would be great. The one time I walked into an apple store with a non-working iPod Touch (my son's), they couldn't do anything, and I walked out with the same non-working crap that I walked in with. The idea that just because they have a store, they have great service is a bad joke.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree with this 100%! I know plenty of very well educated people with busy lives that don't give a sh*t about custom roms, or live wall papers. They just want to make calls and take some photos to post on FB or instagram. It doesn't make them dumb, or iSheep. It's kind of funny, lots of the comments lambasting Apple fanyboys are themselves hopeless Android nutswingers! Such irony.

And any modern smartphone will accomplish those tasks admirably with no modification. The writer claimed to want to try Android because of all the options, but then found the choices "overwhelming" and stated that he prefers Apple to make all those choices for him. That's what makes him an iSheep. If you just say "I tried it, I feel more comfortable with iOS and prefer those apps/features" then I don't have a problem with that. If you just say "I don't want to learn a new platform" I can understand that. But to say "I want to try Android because of all the customization options" and then say "all the options are too much for me, I need Apple to make all those choices for me" tells me that the initial attempt was disingenuous at best.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The idea that just because they have a store, they have great service is a bad joke.

It isn't because they have a store. Fact is that they have great service. I don't know the circumstances of your visit, but I would assume that there were some kind of circumstances for them not to be able to take care of you.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
This is really the problem here. To be honest, I had some of the same complaints coming from iOS, but getting over them in light of all the advantages Android offers isn't difficult if you're willing to spend more than a few days with the device. The HTC One isn't and iPhone and Android isn't iOS. Shocking...

It's a poorly written article and a truly bad review.

Exactly sigh i couldn't read the whole thing because i was laughing soo hard who do i turn to? Thats where we come in at :) half of the things he was so disgusted with would be solved with root :) if your not atfrade to learn and get your hands dirty gtfo :) some things apple does i would love in android like a full backup in the cloud and i mean without root but we'll see what they do with google drive (only logical step)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
But to say "I want to try Android because of all the customization options" and then say "all the options are too much for me, I need Apple to make all those choices for me" tells me that the initial attempt was disingenuous at best.
Right. The funny part isn't that he decided he likes iOS better, it's the ridiculous reasons and terrible logic he used in what's clearly a thinly veiled attempt to show how much he likes iOS.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't spend $199 up to $699 for packaging. Thank the Lord that Google device manufacturers spend that time thinking about the actual device and product instead of what it's wrapped in.

Apple is known for their packaging. A premium product deserves premium packaging. It's just another Apple "perk".

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Quite honestly, if he was "hopelessly overwhelmed" in an hour, I highly doubt he has the brain capacity to even scrape the surface of what options are out there for customizing Android. No one immediately gets over their head with launchers, icon packs, keyboards, sms apps, wallpapers, widgets, etc.. in only an hour. It takes me that long to even get all my apps downloaded from the servers and decide what layout I want on my main home screen.

Reviews like this make me smile because of 2 things. 1- Preconceived notions. 2- Putting forth ZERO effort to actually formulate your own opinion.

There is not a single doubt in my mind that the iPhone is an outstanding device. I also am well aware of how great they are at designing their packaging. But I would NEVER believe that the high ups at Apple know me better than I know myself. It's funny to me how so many fans of Apple always bring up that they have more options when it comes to accessories, cases, etc....but then they turn around and say the options in Android's software is too confusing and overwhelming. Someone is being hypocritical...........I envy their choices in accessories because I like choices and options. Which is why I have stayed with Android for so long.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

For me it was the fact that a text message went to my iMac or iPad if i was at another location and my phone wasn't handy. And no mightytext was not the same because I could use this if my phone was dead.

Right...but Google Hangouts does that...if I get a message, it alerts me on my Nexus 10 tablet and on my computer, and I can respond from any those devices as well as my phone...is that not the same thing?

Once SMS can be integrated, it should be pretty much equal in functionality...though for what it's worth, I rarely use standard SMS anymore, I have Hangouts setup with pretty much all my friends and family.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple is known for their packaging. A premium product deserves premium packaging. It's just another Apple "perk".

If Android devices were wrapped in manuire, i'd probably tend to agree with you. Also if iPhones were wrapped in paper gold. But since neither is the case, a well designed marketed packaging would NEVER pull any weight in a subjective review that I was doing. I'm not that superficial. Sure, i'd agree that it's a 'perk'. But I don't think that perk has any bearing on my evaluation of the end product. I save all my packaging for devices in case I ever want to re-sell, but not because I need them to keep me warm and fuzzy inside like this guy. He just sounds like a tool when he says that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza