10-04-2013 09:19 AM
71 123
tools
    you dont have to make a switch to gmail.

yahoo can still be your primary email. just use gmail to sync your contacts and calendar between your phone and your mac.

think of gmail as your android's *icloud email*... apple will give you an email whether you like it or not. this is the same. its your choice, but you can benefit from using it.
    Ok now im understanding better. So make a gmail strictly for contacts an calender,so just like the icloud if i add or change a contact on my phone it will sync to gmail an change it there as well so everything is updated an saved without being lost?
    09-19-2013 10:16 PM
    Ok now im understanding better. So make a gmail strictly for contacts an calender,so just like the icloud if i add or change a contact on my phone it will sync to gmail an change it there as well so everything is updated an saved without being lost?
    ya. and on your mac contacts and calander as well, if you set them up to sync with gmail.
    09-19-2013 10:27 PM
    Coming from an iPhone, you will really appreciate the build quality of the HTC One - I personally love the black, but the silver is mighty nice too. You might also think about waiting to see what the Nexus 5 is like. It's a high end phone with mid-range pricing. LG did a great job with the Nexus 4, so it's pretty safe to say the 5 will also be pretty slick hardware wise.

As for the HTC One, the battery isn't terrible, but it could definitely be better. It's hard to say though because it all boils down to usage. If you don't put your phone through its paces on a daily basis then you could probably get through the day with the One.

Happy hunting, and welcome to the Android club!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Yeah i really digg the build quality of the One but more liking the shape of it as well. How has the black Htc One been for you? I also like that color style too! I think if i were to get the silver id end up putting a carbon fiber sticky backing to it. Hmm never checked out any nexus phones before i guess i can look up on youtube an check it out. Yeah i dont use my iphone much but for mail,texting an small web browsing. I dont do gaming so it'll be the same way when i make the switch to android. Thanks glad to jump ship an join android..well soon atleast!
    09-19-2013 10:30 PM
    You can easily do it that way as well
    Really good to know!
    09-19-2013 10:31 PM
    ya. and on your mac contacts and calander as well, if you set them up to sync with gmail.
    Ok that'll definitely be convenient! Thanks for those tips i think im pretty much sold on android. I was skeptic at first cause i figured it was going to be difficult running with a mac.
    09-19-2013 10:33 PM

1. If im a light user as in i dont play games,dont buy apps,hardly browse the web at all, will the battery last a long time? I read others have battery issues on it draining fast and others saying the battery drains quick even when idle.

2. Is there a drag and drop type of feature for the htc one and mac? or will i need a program and have to sync just like i had to sync itunes with the iphone?

3. Im not into the whole flashing rom thing since im not much of a tech savvy person and afraid ill mess something up. With that being said, how many like the Sense Ui and blink feed? Is it an annoyance with blink feed?

4. I hear theres an update suppose to becoming to the htc one, will this have the drop down menu for shortcuts when you swipe down on the screen or is this already available if i were to pick up the one at at&t?

Thanks!
    1. the battery is fine, if you are a light user.
    2. It works as a USB drive after you install the driver.
    3. Sense ui is OK, but I don't use it.
    4. New android 4.3 update is coming.

Sent from my m7spr using tapatalk4
    09-19-2013 10:36 PM
    1. the battery is fine, if you are a light user.
    2. It works as a USB drive after you install the driver.
    3. Sense ui is OK, but I don't use it.
    4. New android 4.3 update is coming.

So you didnt use any program to drag an drop your files, it just opened up like a usb on the desktop an you drag an dropped to it? im confused
    09-19-2013 10:44 PM
    So you didnt use any program to drag an drop our files, it just opened up like a usb on the desktop an you drag an dropped to it? im confused
    I just installed the naked USB driver, not even the full HTC sync.
    It'll open up as an USB...

09-19-2013 10:59 PM
    So you didnt use any program to drag an drop your files, it just opened up like a usb on the desktop an you drag an dropped to it? im confused
    Use Air Droid, very similar concept with wireless.

I just installed the naked USB driver, not even the full HTC sync.
    It'll open up as an USB...

He is on Mac, there is no driver.
    09-20-2013 12:16 AM
    I'm switching from iphone 4S to an HTC one also. I had all the betas of ios 7, and the 5c and 5s are just more of the same, they just do it faster. and I could careless about a friggan finger print sensor. Just have to wait till october 17th to make the switch, thanks to at$t making us wait the full 2 years to upgrade!! I think I'm going with the blue one from best buy. I myself have been trying to do a bunch of research on what apps to get and how to sync stuff up too. Can't wait to get my new phone!!!

Me Likes!!!!!!

Breaking up with iOS and iPhone...-1624957_x_ra.jpg
    09-20-2013 08:24 AM
    I'm switching from iphone 4S to an HTC one also. I had all the betas of ios 7, and the 5c and 5s are just more of the same, they just do it faster. and I could careless about a friggan finger print sensor. Just have to wait till october 17th to make the switch, thanks to at$t making us wait the full 2 years to upgrade!! I think I'm going with the blue one from best buy. I myself have been trying to do a bunch of research on what apps to get and how to sync stuff up too. Can't wait to get my new phone!!!

Me Likes!!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1624957_x_ra.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	82292
    Call and complain for an early upgrade if you haven't already. I do it all the time.
    09-20-2013 08:45 AM
    There's a program called iSyncr that I use on Windows (there's a Mac version, too) that syncs music between your Android phone and iTunes. It's worth looking into to see if that's how you want to handle things. It says it does photos and videos as well, but I haven't used any of that functionality. I do like how it syncs music I buy on my phone on Amazon MP3 back into iTunes, though.

I also wouldn't worry about the specific UI. 3rd party launchers are easy to install and use, add many useful features and don't affect your phone's performance (many times they're actually faster), so you can always change the look and feel of a lot of your phone no matter what skin you have (e.g. Sense or TouchWiz).

Also, the Gmail account you'll have to make to use the Play store will not only back up your contacts and calender, it will also back up your installed/bought apps (but not the app data) and can remember WiFi passwords.
    09-20-2013 11:29 AM
    1. If im a light user as in i dont play games,dont buy apps,hardly browse the web at all, will the battery last a long time? I read others have battery issues on it draining fast and others saying the battery drains quick even when idle.
    I'm not a light user at all. I install apps, browse the Web, and play games on my One, I'm happy with the battery. I always have Power saver on as it optimizes the battery life. So, I recommend enabling it when you get yours.

2. Is there a drag and drop type of feature for the htc one and mac? or will i need a program and have to sync just like i had to sync itunes with the iphone?
    I use HTC Sync Manager and it works great. I just connect my phone and it automatically opens up, I then simply drag and drop my files. A lot of users find it buggy but it works well for me.

3. Im not into the whole flashing rom thing since im not much of a tech savvy person and afraid ill mess something up. With that being said, how many like the Sense Ui and blink feed? Is it an annoyance with blink feed?
    Nope, no annoyance at all when I used it. I now have a home replacement launcher just because I wanted to change how my home screen looks. If you tried it and you don't like it then just install a home launcher such as Nova or Apex, no need to flash ROMs and such.

I was a long-time iPhone user as well, I had an iPhone 5 before switching to Android and the HTC One to be specific, and I couldn't be any happier with the switch

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    garyft, rayndog3 and matilde75 like this.
    09-20-2013 12:46 PM
    Belive it or not you don't have to jailbreak, root, ROM your Android device to change the UI. All you need to do is install a launcher(app) from the Google Play store.

My favorite is ADWLauncher, but other good ones are Apex and Nova. There are many more. All are free and have a premium version as well.

I personally hate Samsung's touch wiz so the first thing I install on my phone is ADWLauncher.
    09-20-2013 04:11 PM
    1. if you are a light user, expect the battery to last at least 48 hrs.

2. yes. get Android File Transfer. its free, and it just works.

3. you'll have to try it out for yourself. its a personal thing. i havent read much negativity about it - some like it, some dont mind it.

4. yes. the update you are referring to is 4.2.2. we will get 4.3 which contains all the add-ons and fixes of the previous patch plus more.
    Actually you're mistaken, in part. The
    U.S. Carrier Ones are jumping from 4.1.2 to 4.3.

Most other versions are currently on 4.2.2

Posted via Android Central App
    09-20-2013 04:29 PM
    Ok, I apologize for all the people that jumped in this thread that don't own HTC Ones.

Battery is equal or better than your iPhone 5.

Moving files is easy, as several have mentioned. You're not tied to any computer software. Android is designed to work with cloud services and they all work like a charm. You should upload your music to Google Music (free storage for 20k songs).

Sense 5 is really nice. It does not lag, it has some nice features, especially the camera stuff. Blinkfeed is no more than average. It needs both quantity and quality of content.

Updates are not super fast on the U.S. carrier versions. We will get 4.3 this month, and will get Kit Kat.

Welcome and good luck!

Posted via Android Central App
    09-20-2013 04:37 PM
    1. if you are a light user, expect the battery to last at least 48 hrs.
    Lol! That will never happen, unless you don't use it at all, and then I'm not sure that it has 48 hours of standby. The One is a very nice phone, but it's not known for good battery life.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    09-20-2013 05:26 PM
    Lol! That will never happen, unless you don't use it at all, and then I'm not sure that it has 48 hours of standby. The One is a very nice phone, but it's not known for good battery life.
    48 hours does seem like a bit of a stretch unless
    you're really not using your phone.

S IV
    09-20-2013 06:29 PM
    Thanks for all the responses an tips to use once i get the htc one which will probably be this weekend. I have a few more questions that came to mind an a few related to whats others have been experiencing with the One.

5. I read on this site an also on other sites about call quality issues. Some said the person on the other end told the caller their voice sounded robotic. Anyone had these issues or could i just be with random htc ones?

6. The speakers, also been reported as a popping noise of some sort. Any clue an is this a huge con an is it a widespread thing?

7. So most say they get good battery time before recharging, how about recharging? Whats about the average time its taking to fully charge up if say it drained down to 15-20%?

8. These launchers that people use for android devices, do they carry virus/malware or is that mainly when dealing with apps?

9. Heres a big one i read alot about. The htc one camera. This blue tint happening during lowlight an even times in average light, how big of a problem has this become? Alongside that problem is the focus an blurriness. Is it the user producing these type of photos or is it software? I seen really good pics taken an then i see horrible blurry not in focused type of pics. And by blurry i mean is it captured the object up close to medium range no problem but everything past that distance was blurred or smeared with no detail at all. Any clue? Will 4.3 update correct these bugs?

10. I watched reviews on the butterfly S and the specs an features ,hardware wise are nice! No word (atleast i havent heard) on it coming to at&t. Htc one has a 4.7inch screen an the S is a 5inch screen. My thing here i guess preference is the 4.7inch on the One looks great even though its not far behind to being a 5inch like the S, it still looks great. The butterfly S while being nice with expandable storage an bigger battery, it just seems to being a tablet because of screen side, in my opinion. With that being said do you think the htc one will be a perfect choice in the long run?

Sorry for so many questions, just making sure i go with the perfect android device for me so i can sway away from iphones for good...Thanks once again!
    09-20-2013 09:03 PM
    5. I read on this site an also on other sites about call quality issues. Some said the person on the other end told the caller their voice sounded robotic. Anyone had these issues or could i just be with random htc ones?

6. The speakers, also been reported as a popping noise of some sort. Any clue an is this a huge con an is it a widespread thing?
    My One has no call quality issues whatsoever nor speaker issues. I got it a couple of weeks ago. I think the first batches had issues, but if you were to get the One now then you won't be getting it from the first batch.

7. So most say they get good battery time before recharging, how about recharging? Whats about the average time its taking to fully charge up if say it drained down to 15-20%?
    If you're battery is down to 20% then it takes about 2 hours to fully charge.

8. These launchers that people use for android devices, do they carry virus/malware or is that mainly when dealing with apps?
    No, launchers don't carry viruses. You can download AntiVirus Security and scan them if you want. But, like I said, they don't.

9. Heres a big one i read alot about. The htc one camera. This blue tint happening during lowlight an even times in average light, how big of a problem has this become? Alongside that problem is the focus an blurriness. Is it the user producing these type of photos or is it software? I seen really good pics taken an then i see horrible blurry not in focused type of pics. And by blurry i mean is it captured the object up close to medium range no problem but everything past that distance was blurred or smeared with no detail at all. Any clue? Will 4.3 update correct these bugs?
    Sometimes (not all the time) the shots I take with the camera have a purple haze on them. HTC confirmed that 4.3 will have a fix to these camera issues.
    09-21-2013 03:50 AM
    As Gazella said don't worry about viruses. Nearly all apps on the Play Store are safe however if you want to be assured use Avast as your mobile security - I use it and it does the job. Just try to stay away from .apk files.
    09-21-2013 06:52 AM
    So i wonder if 64 will be overkill.
    I guess it depends on what you like to keep local. If you don't like to stream music but are a music fan than the extra local storage is great. Some keep movies on their phones too, which can take up some space. I feel like 64GB local is that sweet-spot for me.
    09-21-2013 07:48 AM
    Are most people buying the 32gb or 64gb htc one? I never filled my 16gb iphone,well really 13gb. So i wonder if 64 will be overkill.
    Bear in mind that the HTC One does not have an SD Card. And it's also worth mentioning that 32GB is actually 28GB since the rest is taken up by the software. So if you think 32GB is enough for you then go with that. Do you install lots of apps? Will you be having your music on it? Any movies?

I got the 64GB and I regret it a little. I have 130 apps installed and I've only used 17GB so far and I feel like I have everything I need and won't be using any more storage. But my One is only a few weeks old so I don't know if I'll be using any more storage space.
    09-21-2013 08:33 AM
    Bear in mind that the HTC One does not have an SD Card. And it's also worth mentioning that 32GB is actually 28GB since the rest is taken up by the software. So if you think 32GB is enough for you then go with that. Do you install lots of apps? Will you be having your music on it? Any movies?

I got the 64GB and I regret it a little. I've only used 17GB so far and I feel like I have everything on it and won't be using any more storage. But my One is only a few week old so I don't know if I'll be using any more storage space.
    But ya gotta put the classics on it. Aliens. Transformers. Kill Bill. Star Trek or whatever your favorites may be. You never know when a great movie close at hand will be just what ya need.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"
    Gazella likes this.
    09-21-2013 08:42 AM
    Hey! Welcome to the world of Android!

The HTC One is a brilliant piece of tech and I highly recommend it! (I own one BTW, so I'm a bit biased xD)
    09-21-2013 11:08 AM
71 123