Breaking up with iOS and iPhone...

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Whats up android folks! So ever since i seen the announcement of the iPhone 5S and trying out the new iOS, i been pretty disappointed which is leading me to break up the relationship between me and the iPhone/iOS. This will be my first android device and im really looking forward to trying it out but im still 50/50 on the fence because of the issues an bugs some are experiencing. Heres my questions regarding the htc one-

1. If im a light user as in i dont play games,dont buy apps,hardly browse the web at all, will the battery last a long time? I read others have battery issues on it draining fast and others saying the battery drains quick even when idle.

2. Is there a drag and drop type of feature for the htc one and mac? or will i need a program and have to sync just like i had to sync itunes with the iphone?

3. Im not into the whole flashing rom thing since im not much of a tech savvy person and afraid ill mess something up. With that being said, how many like the Sense Ui and blink feed? Is it an annoyance with blink feed?

4. I hear theres an update suppose to becoming to the htc one, will this have the drop down menu for shortcuts when you swipe down on the screen or is this already available if i were to pick up the one at at&t?

Thanks!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not an HTC owner but I know its a good device. Hopefully someone can shed more light on the kind of experience you may have mating it to a Mac. I love Android and I think you might too.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not an HTC owner but I know its a good device. Hopefully someone can shed more light on the kind of experience you may have mating it to a Mac. I love Android and I think you might too.

Which phone do you own Haalcyon? Yeah it seems like a pretty good device. I was torn in between the S4 and this Htc One an narrowed it down to the One. I really like the features on the S4 but being thin,wide an plastic it seems the Htc feels an looks better an not just because of the aluminum casing. Hope that makes sense. Yeah i think i'll love android as well once i get the hang of it. iOS just doesnt interest me much any more...

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Whats up android folks! So ever since i seen the announcement of the iPhone 5S and trying out the new iOS, i been pretty disappointed which is leading me to break up the relationship between me and the iPhone/iOS. This will be my first android device and im really looking forward to trying it out but im still 50/50 on the fence because of the issues an bugs some are experiencing. Heres my questions regarding the htc one-

1. If im a light user as in i dont play games,dont buy apps,hardly browse the web at all, will the battery last a long time? I read others have battery issues on it draining fast and others saying the battery drains quick even when idle.

2. Is there a drag and drop type of feature for the htc one and mac? or will i need a program and have to sync just like i had to sync itunes with the iphone?

3. Im not into the whole flashing rom thing since im not much of a tech savvy person and afraid ill mess something up. With that being said, how many like the Sense Ui and blink feed? Is it an annoyance with blink feed?

4. I hear theres an update suppose to becoming to the htc one, will this have the drop down menu for shortcuts when you swipe down on the screen or is this already available if i were to pick up the one at at&t?

Thanks!

1. if you are a light user, expect the battery to last at least 48 hrs.

2. yes. get Android File Transfer. its free, and it just works.

3. you'll have to try it out for yourself. its a personal thing. i havent read much negativity about it - some like it, some dont mind it.

4. yes. the update you are referring to is 4.2.2. we will get 4.3 which contains all the add-ons and fixes of the previous patch plus more.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have an At&t S4. I'm happy with it.

S IV

Yeah its a nice phone thats for sure! I like being able to expand the memory an replace battery if needed. Dislikes is how jittery the video is when recording. Depending the answers i get from my first post questions,will decided S4 or htc one.

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
HTC One love it. It will be a bit of a curve coming from the ios but fairly easy to get used to. For the kind of usage you described you will make it through 12 hour day no problem. Just throw it in power saver mode since, for that kind of usage, you don't need all the cores running full speed all the time.
The number one battery drain is the screen being on, on an any device including the iPhone so if you have it on a lot dial down the brightness.

Coming from your past phone widgets can be your friends to simplify your hone screens for daily usage.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
1. if you are a light user, expect the battery to last at least 48 hrs.

2. yes. get Android File Transfer. its free, and it just works.

3. you'll have to try it out for yourself. its a personal thing. i havent read much negativity about it - some like it, some dont mind it.

4. yes. the update you are referring to is 4.2.2. we will get 4.3 which contains all the add-ons and fixes of the previous patch plus more.

Thanks for the reply! So the android file transfer is drag and drop or its like what itunes does to the iphone,which is syncing?

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! So the android file transfer is drag and drop or its like what itunes does to the iphone,which is syncing?

its drag and drop.

htc ships with a sync manager but, as a user of mac myself, i recommend you refrain from using it. it just *doesn't* work. its plagued with bugs and it lags.

i switched from the iphone to the htc one a few weeks myself - after i convinced myself that iOS 7 was more of the same... and those ugly icons.

i dont regret the move. on the contrary, i am in love with my htc one.

the hardest change will be how you sync your stuff. with the iphone and mac, you are dependent on itunes. you'll have to forget about itunes.

if you use gmail, you have a great advantage since the contacts, calendar and emails sync great with OSX and your android device.

for pictures i use dropbox (htc sense has an option to upload your new camara pics to dropbox automatically - much like you iphoto works).

for anything else (music), use AFT as i mentionned above.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
HTC One love it. It will be a bit of a curve coming from the ios but fairly easy to get used to. For the kind of usage you described you will make it through 12 hour day no problem. Just throw it in power saver mode since, for that kind of usage, you don't need all the cores running full speed all the time.
The number one battery drain is the screen being on, on an any device including the iPhone so if you have it on a lot dial down the brightness.

Coming from your past phone widgets can be your friends to simplify your hone screens for daily usage.

Nice!!! Yeah on the 4S i only have my screen brightness on less than half turned up an on manual instead of auto an wont need to charge up until maybe 2 days later since im hardly on it,just texting an yahoo email is being pushed through the stock Mail app. How many screens does the htc one use for widgets? Like how many swipes/pages of widgets can be put on? Also forgot to ask, can the ringer volume an notification tones be different levels or is it just one setting for both like the iphone?

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Three screens stock one with BlinkFeed on it stock. There are several third party launchers that give you a lot more options and you don't have to be rooted or Romed.
Oh and don't forget folders are intuitive on Android.

The volumes are broken down in three categories. Ringer & notifications, audio & video, alarms.

I would expect about the same battery out of my phone with that kind of usage, but I'm kind of a power user so it gets charged every night and whenever I'm in my car.

joshwithachance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
For all my photos and videos I use Android File Transfer to either put photos and videos on my phone, or transfer photos to my Mac. To sync my iTunes music I use "Easy Phone Sync", which is free and even syncs your playlists.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
its drag and drop.

htc ships with a sync manager but, as a user of mac myself, i recommend you refrain from using it. it just *doesn't* work. its plagued with bugs and it lags.

i switched from the iphone to the htc one a few weeks myself - after i convinced myself that iOS 7 was more of the same... and those ugly icons.

i dont regret the move. on the contrary, i am in love with my htc one.

the hardest change will be how you sync your stuff. with the iphone and mac, you are dependent on itunes. you'll have to forget about itunes.

if you use gmail, you have a great advantage since the contacts, calendar and emails sync great with OSX and your android device.

for pictures i use dropbox (htc sense has an option to upload your new camara pics to dropbox automatically - much like you iphoto works).

for anything else (music), use AFT as i mentionned above.

Yeah i read about sync manage having bugs which is a bummer. I never used it so no problems with staying away from it,which is what ill do. Yeah exactly same reason im making the switch is because of iOS 7 boring ugly icons and same old icon grid since day one. I can forgot about itunes thats not a issue, it aggravated me a handful of times. Unfortunately i dont use gmail an used the address book on mac for my contacts an my email is with yahoo, any other option besides gmail? I never tried or used drop box before. Is using it the only way to get the pics off the htc one an onto the mac? Or can i continue to use iphoto?

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah i read about sync manage having bugs which is a bummer. I never used it so no problems with staying away from it,which is what ill do. Yeah exactly same reason im making the switch is because of iOS 7 boring ugly icons and same old icon grid since day one. I can forgot about itunes thats not a issue, it aggravated me a handful of times. Unfortunately i dont use gmail an used the address book on mac for my contacts an my email is with yahoo, any other option besides gmail? I never tried or used drop box before. Is using it the only way to get the pics off the htc one an onto the mac? Or can i continue to use iphoto?

you can use AFT for your photos as well (and videos, ringtones, music, etc. ).

i dont think OSX contacts and calendar support yahoo... or HTC Sense for that matter. I never checked. You can transfer your contact VCard manually and install it on your new phone, but syncing with your mac will be much trickier. my advice? if you are really considering an android phone - any android phone, consider gmail. it will make your life that much easier (especially when using a mac).

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Three screens stock one with BlinkFeed on it stock. There are several third party launchers that give you a lot more options and you don't have to be rooted or Romed.
Oh and don't forget folders are intuitive on Android.

The volumes are broken down in three categories. Ringer & notifications, audio & video, alarms.

I would expect about the same battery out of my phone with that kind of usage, but I'm kind of a power user so it gets charged every night and whenever I'm in my car.

Has 3 screens been more than enough for you or have you added a 3rd party launcher? And thats good to know about the ringer volumes! I was frustrated with one for all on the iphone.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Has 3 screens been more than enough for you or have you added a 3rd party launcher? And thats good to know about the ringer volumes! I was frustrated with one for all on the iphone.

you dont need countless pages on android.

the pages are really used so that you put your most used apps and the widgets.

for the rest, there is a dedicated app section where all your installed apps are listed.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
For all my photos and videos I use Android File Transfer to either put photos and videos on my phone, or transfer photos to my Mac. To sync my iTunes music I use "Easy Phone Sync", which is free and even syncs your playlists.

Ok cool..Yeah i'll still have my itunes to listen to music an none of it is drm protected so should be easy to pick which ones i want an just drag them into the android file transfer i hope?

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
When I had my 3gs I had to hack the crap out of it to make it do what was native in my BlackBerry's so I understand the frustration.

I use a third party launcher not for more screens, which three will probably be fine for you, but for two other things; one to make the grid size bigger on my number one home screen (more widgets in the same area) and two to have more widgets in my dock. The way I have it setup my dock stays the same no matter what home screen I'm on.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379642595546.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379642595546.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 41

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
you can use AFT for your photos as well (and videos, ringtones, music, etc. ).

i dont think OSX contacts and calendar support yahoo... or HTC Sense for that matter. I never checked. You can transfer your contact VCard manually and install it on your new phone, but syncing with your mac will be much trickier. my advice? if you are really considering an android phone - any android phone, consider gmail. it will make your life that much easier (especially when using a mac).

Hmm AFT seems to be all i'll need then for everything like media. Yeah OSX contacts an calender dont support yahoo,well i never tried it. I dont have contacts/calenders etc within my email as it is. I was just syncing my contacts with itunes which is the address book app on mac with my iphone. Transferring the contact Vcard seems easy , would i use AFT as well? Yeah i just may need to make the switch to gmail. I was just not fully sold on gmail because of security reasons using email even though millions use it i was hesitant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star