Breaking up with iOS and iPhone...

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmm AFT seems to be all i'll need then for everything like media. Yeah OSX contacts an calender dont support yahoo,well i never tried it. I dont have contacts/calenders etc within my email as it is. I was just syncing my contacts with itunes which is the address book app on mac with my iphone. Transferring the contact Vcard seems easy , would i use AFT as well? Yeah i just may need to make the switch to gmail. I was just not fully sold on gmail because of security reasons using email even though millions use it i was hesitant.

you dont have to make a switch to gmail.

yahoo can still be your primary email. just use gmail to sync your contacts and calendar between your phone and your mac.

think of gmail as your android's *icloud email*... apple will give you an email whether you like it or not. this is the same. its your choice, but you can benefit from using it.

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone, you will really appreciate the build quality of the HTC One - I personally love the black, but the silver is mighty nice too. :) You might also think about waiting to see what the Nexus 5 is like. It's a high end phone with mid-range pricing. LG did a great job with the Nexus 4, so it's pretty safe to say the 5 will also be pretty slick hardware wise.

As for the HTC One, the battery isn't terrible, but it could definitely be better. It's hard to say though because it all boils down to usage. If you don't put your phone through its paces on a daily basis then you could probably get through the day with the One.

Happy hunting, and welcome to the Android club! :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
When I had my 3gs I had to hack the crap out of it to make it do what was native in my BlackBerry's so I understand the frustration.

I use a third party launcher not for more screens, which three will probably be fine for you, but for two other things; one to make the grid size bigger on my number one home screen (more widgets in the same area) and two to have more widgets in my dock. The way I have it setup my dock stays the same no matter what home screen I'm on.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Ahh ok i see what your saying. I guess i can always give it a shot with just the stock screens an go from there. Yeah 3gs was the same model i first tried to hack/jailbreak to get it just how i wanted an to be like other phones that had more features.

Are most people buying the 32gb or 64gb htc one? I never filled my 16gb iphone,well really 13gb. So i wonder if 64 will be overkill.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
you dont have to make a switch to gmail.

yahoo can still be your primary email. just use gmail to sync your contacts and calendar between your phone and your mac.

think of gmail as your android's *icloud email*... apple will give you an email whether you like it or not. this is the same. its your choice, but you can benefit from using it.

Ok now im understanding better. So make a gmail strictly for contacts an calender,so just like the icloud if i add or change a contact on my phone it will sync to gmail an change it there as well so everything is updated an saved without being lost?

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok now im understanding better. So make a gmail strictly for contacts an calender,so just like the icloud if i add or change a contact on my phone it will sync to gmail an change it there as well so everything is updated an saved without being lost?

ya. and on your mac contacts and calander as well, if you set them up to sync with gmail.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone, you will really appreciate the build quality of the HTC One - I personally love the black, but the silver is mighty nice too. :) You might also think about waiting to see what the Nexus 5 is like. It's a high end phone with mid-range pricing. LG did a great job with the Nexus 4, so it's pretty safe to say the 5 will also be pretty slick hardware wise.

As for the HTC One, the battery isn't terrible, but it could definitely be better. It's hard to say though because it all boils down to usage. If you don't put your phone through its paces on a daily basis then you could probably get through the day with the One.

Happy hunting, and welcome to the Android club! :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah i really digg the build quality of the One but more liking the shape of it as well. How has the black Htc One been for you? I also like that color style too! I think if i were to get the silver id end up putting a carbon fiber sticky backing to it. Hmm never checked out any nexus phones before i guess i can look up on youtube an check it out. Yeah i dont use my iphone much but for mail,texting an small web browsing. I dont do gaming so it'll be the same way when i make the switch to android. Thanks glad to jump ship an join android..well soon atleast!

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
ya. and on your mac contacts and calander as well, if you set them up to sync with gmail.

Ok that'll definitely be convenient! Thanks for those tips i think im pretty much sold on android. I was skeptic at first cause i figured it was going to be difficult running with a mac.

j_rivers

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
1. If im a light user as in i dont play games,dont buy apps,hardly browse the web at all, will the battery last a long time? I read others have battery issues on it draining fast and others saying the battery drains quick even when idle.

2. Is there a drag and drop type of feature for the htc one and mac? or will i need a program and have to sync just like i had to sync itunes with the iphone?

3. Im not into the whole flashing rom thing since im not much of a tech savvy person and afraid ill mess something up. With that being said, how many like the Sense Ui and blink feed? Is it an annoyance with blink feed?

4. I hear theres an update suppose to becoming to the htc one, will this have the drop down menu for shortcuts when you swipe down on the screen or is this already available if i were to pick up the one at at&t?

Thanks!

1. the battery is fine, if you are a light user.
2. It works as a USB drive after you install the driver.
3. Sense ui is OK, but I don't use it.
4. New android 4.3 update is coming.

Sent from my m7spr using tapatalk4

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
1. the battery is fine, if you are a light user.
2. It works as a USB drive after you install the driver.
3. Sense ui is OK, but I don't use it.
4. New android 4.3 update is coming.

So you didnt use any program to drag an drop your files, it just opened up like a usb on the desktop an you drag an dropped to it? im confused

Last edited:

j_rivers

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
So you didnt use any program to drag an drop our files, it just opened up like a usb on the desktop an you drag an dropped to it? im confused

I just installed the naked USB driver, not even the full HTC sync.
It'll open up as an USB...:)

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
So you didnt use any program to drag an drop your files, it just opened up like a usb on the desktop an you drag an dropped to it? im confused

Use Air Droid, very similar concept with wireless.

I just installed the naked USB driver, not even the full HTC sync.
It'll open up as an USB...:)

He is on Mac, there is no driver.

rayndog3

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm switching from iphone 4S to an HTC one also. I had all the betas of ios 7, and the 5c and 5s are just more of the same, they just do it faster. and I could careless about a friggan finger print sensor. Just have to wait till october 17th to make the switch, thanks to at$t making us wait the full 2 years to upgrade!! I think I'm going with the blue one from best buy. I myself have been trying to do a bunch of research on what apps to get and how to sync stuff up too. Can't wait to get my new phone!!!

Me Likes!!!!!!

1624957_x_ra.jpg

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm switching from iphone 4S to an HTC one also. I had all the betas of ios 7, and the 5c and 5s are just more of the same, they just do it faster. and I could careless about a friggan finger print sensor. Just have to wait till october 17th to make the switch, thanks to at$t making us wait the full 2 years to upgrade!! I think I'm going with the blue one from best buy. I myself have been trying to do a bunch of research on what apps to get and how to sync stuff up too. Can't wait to get my new phone!!!

Me Likes!!!!!!

View attachment 82292

Call and complain for an early upgrade if you haven't already. I do it all the time.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
There's a program called iSyncr that I use on Windows (there's a Mac version, too) that syncs music between your Android phone and iTunes. It's worth looking into to see if that's how you want to handle things. It says it does photos and videos as well, but I haven't used any of that functionality. I do like how it syncs music I buy on my phone on Amazon MP3 back into iTunes, though.

I also wouldn't worry about the specific UI. 3rd party launchers are easy to install and use, add many useful features and don't affect your phone's performance (many times they're actually faster), so you can always change the look and feel of a lot of your phone no matter what skin you have (e.g. Sense or TouchWiz).

Also, the Gmail account you'll have to make to use the Play store will not only back up your contacts and calender, it will also back up your installed/bought apps (but not the app data) and can remember WiFi passwords.

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
1. If im a light user as in i dont play games,dont buy apps,hardly browse the web at all, will the battery last a long time? I read others have battery issues on it draining fast and others saying the battery drains quick even when idle.

I'm not a light user at all. I install apps, browse the Web, and play games on my One, I'm happy with the battery. I always have Power saver on as it optimizes the battery life. So, I recommend enabling it when you get yours.

2. Is there a drag and drop type of feature for the htc one and mac? or will i need a program and have to sync just like i had to sync itunes with the iphone?

I use HTC Sync Manager and it works great. I just connect my phone and it automatically opens up, I then simply drag and drop my files. A lot of users find it buggy but it works well for me.

3. Im not into the whole flashing rom thing since im not much of a tech savvy person and afraid ill mess something up. With that being said, how many like the Sense Ui and blink feed? Is it an annoyance with blink feed?

Nope, no annoyance at all when I used it. I now have a home replacement launcher just because I wanted to change how my home screen looks. If you tried it and you don't like it then just install a home launcher such as Nova or Apex, no need to flash ROMs and such.

I was a long-time iPhone user as well, I had an iPhone 5 before switching to Android and the HTC One to be specific, and I couldn't be any happier with the switch :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Belive it or not you don't have to jailbreak, root, ROM your Android device to change the UI. All you need to do is install a launcher(app) from the Google Play store.

My favorite is ADWLauncher, but other good ones are Apex and Nova. There are many more. All are free and have a premium version as well.

I personally hate Samsung's touch wiz so the first thing I install on my phone is ADWLauncher.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
1. if you are a light user, expect the battery to last at least 48 hrs.

2. yes. get Android File Transfer. its free, and it just works.

3. you'll have to try it out for yourself. its a personal thing. i havent read much negativity about it - some like it, some dont mind it.

4. yes. the update you are referring to is 4.2.2. we will get 4.3 which contains all the add-ons and fixes of the previous patch plus more.

Actually you're mistaken, in part. The
U.S. Carrier Ones are jumping from 4.1.2 to 4.3.

Most other versions are currently on 4.2.2

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae