Can't make/receive calls

rjbaron0817

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello....looking for some assistance. I am a very novice user who has an HTC One and have recently run in to a new issue.....I cannot make or receive calls. When I try to call out it says "Dialing" but after about 10 seconds it hangs up. When others try to call me it doesn't ring for me...but does for them. I normally keep the phone on GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto and up until 3 days ago I never had any trouble. I called ATT and they took me through a soft reset and sent me a new SIM card....but neither fixed the issue. Every now and then I can make a call but that usually only last for 1X

I moved it to GSM and can now make/receive calls but, needless to say, I don't get the advantage of 4G. I don't want to use this phone in that way.

I'm not too familiar with forums so I tried to see what else I could provide. This is a stock phone with zero customization.

Thanks, in advance, for the assistance.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello....looking for some assistance. I am a very novice user who has an HTC One and have recently run in to a new issue.....I cannot make or receive calls. When I try to call out it says "Dialing" but after about 10 seconds it hangs up. When others try to call me it doesn't ring for me...but does for them. I normally keep the phone on GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto and up until 3 days ago I never had any trouble. I called ATT and they took me through a soft reset and sent me a new SIM card....but neither fixed the issue. Every now and then I can make a call but that usually only last for 1X

I moved it to GSM and can now make/receive calls but, needless to say, I don't get the advantage of 4G. I don't want to use this phone in that way.

I'm not too familiar with forums so I tried to see what else I could provide. This is a stock phone with zero customization.

Thanks, in advance, for the assistance.

Go to your settings > applications > all > find phone & phone storage > Clear data on both.
Then give it another shoot. Same thing happened on my Nexus 4

rjbaron0817

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Go to your settings > applications > all > find phone & phone storage > Clear data on both.
Then give it another shoot. Same thing happened on my Nexus 4

Thanks for the reply, Ryandroid86. When I did that I was able to make a 2 or 3 phone calls and then it stopped working. I did it again and then shut the phone down and this time I was able to make 4 phone calls before it stopped. Any idea what is causing this....and, more importantly...any idea how to stop it? I appreciate the help.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Ryandroid86. When I did that I was able to make a 2 or 3 phone calls and then it stopped working. I did it again and then shut the phone down and this time I was able to make 4 phone calls before it stopped. Any idea what is causing this....and, more importantly...any idea how to stop it? I appreciate the help.

I dont know why its doing this...
I found a couple more options.
Settings > applications > (hit the menu button) reset app preferences

Or have you ever downloaded or used skype on your phone?

rjbaron0817

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I dont know why its doing this...
I found a couple more options.
Settings > applications > (hit the menu button) reset app preferences

Or have you ever downloaded or used skype on your phone?

I tried resetting app preferences and that, too, gave me the ability to make 1 or 2 phone calls. I have always had Skype downloaded but had never used it before. The other day I hit it by accident and it opened up but I immediately shut it down...didn't even sign in to it. I just uninstalled it if you think that would help.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Stock software? And what edition of phone? Developer edition? AT&T? Google Play Edition?

Someone on here can solve this if we can get some more info.

Posted via Android Central App

rjbaron0817

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Stock software? And what edition of phone? Developer edition? AT&T? Google Play Edition?

ATT edition...stock software. There were a few other glitches along with the phone calls not going through/coming in so I did a factory reset. So far that has solved the issue. If it goes back to not working I'll check back for more advice. Until then...thanks to all for the assistance!

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I would bring it back to AT&T asap. It sounds defective. You should not have to go through this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

rjbaron0817

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

After the factory reset the phone worked for 15-20 'test' calls. I left it alone for about 20 minutes and when I went to make another call, sadly I had the same issue as before. Once again, I cannot make calls when on the proper LTE network setting. I'd like to avoid heading back to ATT to exchange/return this phone so if there are other suggestions out there I'm all ears. Unfortunately, though, I'm thinking I may not have much choice.

Thanks.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I tried resetting app preferences and that, too, gave me the ability to make 1 or 2 phone calls. I have always had Skype downloaded but had never used it before. The other day I hit it by accident and it opened up but I immediately shut it down...didn't even sign in to it. I just uninstalled it if you think that would help.

There have been reports of this app screwing up making phone call abilities.
Go to your file manager and delete anything that has to do with skype.
and dont download it again. They need to fix it

rjbaron0817

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
There have been reports of this app screwing up making phone call abilities.
Go to your file manager and delete anything that has to do with sopenpe.
and dont download it again. They need to fix it

I deleted and uninstalled the app and then did a factory reset. I never used it....just inadvertently opened it up once. Man would that be awful if doing that caused this aggravation.

How would I be able to tell if any files are still on the phone?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I deleted and uninstalled the app and then did a factory reset. I never used it....just inadvertently opened it up once. Man would that be awful if doing that caused this aggravation.

How would I be able to tell if any files are still on the phone?

Download a file manager from the play store and it will show you all stored data on your phone. And my last comment was supposed to sat delete all Skype files.

rjbaron0817

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Download a file manager from the play store and it will show you all stored data on your phone. And my last comment was supposed to sat delete all Skype files.

Went to the AT&T Device store today and the reps I spoke with told me they had yet to come across this problem. So, they gave me another phone which I'm happy to report works just fine. In the end I'm not sure what caused the problem. What I can tell you is (just in case) I'm going nowhere near Skype this time around....not worth the time/effort.

Stormy Rodriguez

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Went to the AT&T Device store today and the reps I spoke with told me they had yet to come across this problem. So, they gave me another phone which I'm happy to report works just fine. In the end I'm not sure what caused the problem. What I can tell you is (just in case) I'm going nowhere near Skype this time around....not worth the time/effort.

I have this exact problem and have never downloaded Skype. I have a T-Mobile htc one m8.

Melissa Tankersley

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
My dad has at&t. He has a HTC one (M8). He can't make calls. He can receive them though. He can text. He has never used skype....Any other thing I could look at causing this? Thanks for any and all help.

Floridaboy919

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi I don't know where you are at ability wise however unless you are at a know good signal area you need to be aware of how many bars in your meter - signal strength. Secondly, in all honestly ATT is likely your biggest problem. Check around with friends living near you and find out which carriers are most popular. It is tempting to go cheap, but cheap is costly when the service sucks. In my area Boost mobile is the cheapest best alternative. Boost optimizes service through buying cell tower time from Verizon. Google Verizon coverage area - no comparisons can even be remotely made. I hope this gives you a direction to study. Performance is how you evaluate carriers in your area. You still can find a cheap(est) way to go. GOOD LUCK !!!