Sense 5-Type Widgets For Use W/ Nova Launcher

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I am a big fan of Nova Launcher but I also like Sense 5 (BlinkFeed) so my setup is my home screen is Nova Launcher and I have the shortcut to BlinkFeed. Currently for date, time and weather I am using Minimalist Text but I would prefer the clock, date and weather widget you get at the top of BlinkFeed (see below). Does anyone know of an app that provides widgets that look exactly like the Sense 5 widgets for time, date and weather? I just purchased Beautiful Widgets but really haven't had time to learn that app. Will it do what I am looking for or do I need another app for Sense 5 look-a-like widgets? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-26-08-39-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-26-08-39-05.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 108

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry i don't know of any apps like the one you're looking for, but i image Beautiful widgets may be able to do what you're looking for.
BTW how did you add the Blinkfeed shortcut on the Nova homescreen?

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
The Sense 5 weather clock widgets are great. The only alternative that looks similar to it is Sense 5 for UCCW. Search for it on the Play Store, there 2 or 3 and one looks the same but doesn't have animated icons.

I'm using EZ Weather HD which free for my weather app and weather clock. Its widgets are very good looking without being too bloated like many other apps. Try it.

For the calendar widget with the next appointments I found two: Transparent Calendar Widget and Today. They both look great and have nice options. Today is the one I'm using now but it's not free. The first one it's free, though.

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry i don't know of any apps like the one you're looking for, but i image Beautiful widgets may be able to do what you're looking for.
BTW how did you add the Blinkfeed shortcut on the Nova homescreen?

Ask and you shall receive:

How to use BlinkFeed w/ Nova Launcher

I will be forever grateful to Scott K. for discovering this because I use it everyday. I didn't want to give up Nova Launcher and vice versa because I actually really like BlinkFeed so this was the perfect solution :D

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
The Sense 5 weather clock widgets are great. The only alternative that looks similar to it is Sense 5 for UCCW. Search for it on the Play Store, there 2 or 3 and one looks the same but doesn't have animated icons.

I'm using EZ Weather HD which free for my weather app and weather clock. Its widgets are very good looking without being too bloated like many other apps. Try it.

For the calendar widget with the next appointments I found two: Transparent Calendar Widget and Today. They both look great and have nice options. Today is the one I'm using now but it's not free. The first one it's free, though.

Why can't an app developer just make it easy and create an app that has the exact look of Sense 5? I guess that would be too easy though...no, we have to download 3-4 apps to get our phones to look the way we want. I guess that's the price you pay when you don't go totally stock :mad:

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

I hate to be a pain but can you tell me which app you are talking about that has the look of Sense 5? I just purchased 2 of them and they are not what I am looking for. Can you tell me the exact app you are talking about?

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Why can't an app developer just make it easy and create an app that has the exact look of Sense 5? I guess that would be too easy though...no, we have to download 3-4 apps to get our phones to look the way we want. I guess that's the price you pay when you don't go totally stock :mad:

I don't know. Given that the HTC One and Sense 5 are pretty popular, deves should have come up with more substitutes but they haven't. With the apps I use I gain some advantages though.

I hate to be a pain but can you tell me which app you are talking about that has the look of Sense 5? I just purchased 2 of them and they are not what I am looking for. Can you tell me the exact app you are talking about?

It's called Sense 5 Clock. It's free and works well.

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

Until I asked about these Sense 5-type apps I had no idea what UCCW was. Anyway I downloaded a few of these apps and was asked something to the effect of are you ready to launch the Sense 5 skin. I said yes (I am using Nova Launcher) and after I went through the steps I noticed the horizontal line right above the app dock disappeared. At this point in time I am still trying to decide if I like the line above the dock or not. At this exact moment I think it looks kinda cool but then I go back to wanting the line. This is why I love Android - because as owners of these devices we have the choice as opposed to a tech company (albeit the most successful one in the world) telling us what we like best. Anyway getting back on track here - how do I go about un-doing the Sense 5 skin on my custom launcher or is this permanent?

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what did you install. The one I was talking about is just a widget that needs UCCW to work.

Look in UCCW settings. I think you can uninstall and delete widgets/skins from there.

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what did you install. The one I was talking about is just a widget that needs UCCW to work.

Look in UCCW settings. I think you can uninstall and delete widgets/skins from there.

I have no idea where to look up UCCW settings but I'm pretty sure these were the apps I downloaded that asked for the Sense 5 skin to be downloaded to my launcher. I'm sorry I can't be more specific but it was late at night and I had a few in me already ;)

- Sense 5 Clock UCCW
- Sense 5 Pro UCCW
- UCCW Skin - Sense 5 Clock (This is the one you recommended but I haven't downloaded it yet.)

Any direction you can provide will be appreciated. I guess a good place to start would be to tell me how to look in the UCCW settings then I can uninstall, delete and start over with the app you suggested or I can just go buy an iPhone 5S...just kidding :D

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Opening UCCW from your app drawer should show its interface. There you can look for the list I told you about.

I'm sorry I can't help you further but I don't have UCCW installed.

Other option is to uninstall like you said abd only install the one I posted. Good luck! :)

BlakeGates

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Or you can flash ViperROM. It has the exact Sense 5 overlay, including BlinkFeed, but obviously as a custom ROM it also provides many more customizations.

A quick YouTube search for HTC One ViperROM review will let you know if it is something you'd like to have.

Posted via Android Central App

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Or you can flash ViperROM. It has the exact Sense 5 overlay, including BlinkFeed, but obviously as a custom ROM it also provides many more customizations.

A quick YouTube search for HTC One ViperROM review will let you know if it is something you'd like to have.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm not rooted. Can't you tell from my noob questions that I'm not ready for that just yet ;)

I have to ease into this customizing-your-phone-however-you-like-it-thing. The HTC One is my first Android device. I purchased it on May 7 and did nothing with it for about a week cuz I couldn't figure anything out but with the help of some very nice people on this forum I'm starting to learn...VERY SLOWLY :)

Also you have to understand before I got the HTC One in May all I ever had for a smart phone prior to that was a BlackBerry...yes, I hate to admit it but I was a CrackBerry from 2004 thru 5/2013 :'(

The good news...I will never go back to BlackBerry or anything other than Android for that matter except maybe the iPhone 6 if it has a screen 4.5" or larger, sapphire screen cover and solar & wireless charging and can top the Galaxy SV. However, that's going to be a very tall order because the Samsung Galaxy SV is going to have an all-aluminum body, 5.3" Sharp IGZO screen technology w/ 4K resolution that is better than full HD, 16 MP camera, Android 4.4 KitKat, 64-bit processor and glow-in-the-dark home button w/ fingerprint sensor. That, if true, is going to be very hard to top. Of course all of this is speculation right now including the photos below but WOW do I wish they are accurate down to the smallest detail and I'm w/ Sprint so by the time these phones are released I will have owned my HTC One for just about one year (April, 2014) and I will absolutely be taking advantage of their OneUp early upgrade program :D

Remember this baby? The BlackBerry 7730. Well I was probably one of the first people to buy one. WOW have times changed...for the better I might add :)

Attachments

• iPhone 6 Redering.jpg
    iPhone 6 Redering.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 231
  • Samsung Galaxy SV Rendering.png
    Samsung Galaxy SV Rendering.png
    301.6 KB · Views: 232
  • bb7730.gif
    bb7730.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 229

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Opening UCCW from your app drawer should show its interface. There you can look for the list I told you about.

I'm sorry I can't help you further but I don't have UCCW installed.

Other option is to uninstall like you said abd only install the one I posted. Good luck! :)

UCCW is not showing up in my app drawer so I went to Settings > Apps and it wasn't there either. I did delete the 2 other apps. Tomorrow I will install the one you recommended and I'm also gonna check out the YouTube video @dotB posted. As far as the horizontal line above the dock, one of the apps must have de-selected that option from Nova Launcher because I found where you select it but to be honest it looks kinda cool w/o the divider and a transparent dock so for now I don't have it. I may change it up again soon. What I don't understand is why I couldn't find UCCW in my apps because I only deleted one of the apps yesterday. The other one I just deleted but not before looking for UCCW in my app drawer. Anyway I'm good now so that's all that matters. right? I hope your around tomorrow if I run into any issues when I install the app you suggested ;)

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
That's weird. You should be able to see UCCW in the app drawer or the apps list on the One's Applications settings. I'm glad you have it sorted out now. You don't need to worry about the widget I posted, it worked like a charm and I didn't have to edit or mess with anything in UCCW.

You can also try EZ Weather HD if you want while you are trying different things and customizing your One.

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I will never go back to BlackBerry or anything other than Android for that matter except maybe the iPhone 6 if it has a screen 4.5" or larger, sapphire screen cover and solar & wireless charging and can top the Galaxy SV. However, that's going to be a very tall order because the Samsung Galaxy SV is going to have an all-aluminum body, 5.3" Sharp IGZO screen technology w/ 4K resolution that is better than full HD, 16 MP camera, Android 4.4 KitKat, 64-bit processor and glow-in-the-dark home button w/ fingerprint sensor. That, if true, is going to be very hard to top. Of course all of this is speculation right now including the photos below but WOW do I wish they are accurate down to the smallest detail and I'm w/ Sprint so by the time these phones are released I will have owned my HTC One for just about one year (April, 2014) and I will absolutely be taking advantage of their OneUp early upgrade program :D

After re-reading my mini novela I felt like I had to add the following:

If you were to read my post and you didn't know me you would get the impression that I am simply waiting to upgrade to the iPhone 6 or Samsung Galaxy SV when they come out. While that may end up being a possibility it is by no means a foregone conclusion...far from it actually. I think the HTC One is an awesome device and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately HTC's next phone will be the One Max and not only is it way too big for me but the specs are lacking substantially IMO.

However, it is my sincere hope that HTC has another device planned for release after the One Max that can rival Apple and Samsung's latest offerings because if that is the case I would like nothing more than to stick with HTC. I just wanted to make that clear because my OP came off the wrong way in a big way and that was not my intention at all. The bottom line is I have become a huge HTC fan almost overnight :D I just hope as a business they can turn their financial ship around. The One was a success, but alone, not enough to turn the company around. IMHO they will need another 2-3 devices as successful as the One to turn the company around.

I sure hope and I think they can pull it off. As a side note I have no problem with an Ultra Pixel camera per se. What I have a problem with is an Ultra Pixel camera that only has 4MP. HTC's new camera would have been so much better if they used the Ultra Pixel technology but bumped-up the MP's to 8 or 10. An HTC camera with those specs and their photo software would be a candidate for one of the best smart-phone cameras on the market save for the Nokia Lumia 1020 but that device looks like a camera that is a phone and I am definitely not a fan of that. I want a phone that looks like a phone but has a great camera. At the end of the day 4MP is 4MP and HTC had to know this. What were they thinking :confused:

Anyway this is turning into another mini novela so I'm gonna wrap it up right about now ;) HTC ROCKS! :cool: