Contacts issue on my One. Any suggestions?

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I recently upgraded to 4.3 using an ARHD 21.0 ROM, and had wiped my phone clean before updating. Since then, I haven't been able to figure out how the contacts syncing with Google works. I had two questions, if any kind soul could help. Apparently, my contacts weren't uploaded to Google automatically, so I ended up with only like 10 contacts when I tried to restore from Google contacts.

1. How to get the phone to automatically save contacts to Google servers instead (and maybe even have a copy on my Phone storage)? I've added plenty of contacts in the past few months, and thought that they automatically get synched to the server, but apparently not.

2. I'm not able to extract all contacts from a vcard. I have my contacts (from a few months ago) in my mac, so I exported to a vcard (which had 213 contacts) and transferred to my phone and opened it there. The phone goes through its whole thing saying it's extracting and processing/saving/whatever to the contacts, but only a few show up in my contacts list.

3. I've tried restoring contacts from my iPhone backup using HTC Sync Manager too. It worked like a charm when I first got the phone, but now even if I use the same backup file, my phone refuses to show my old contacts.

Any suggestions are appreciated :(

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I recently upgraded to 4.3 using an ARHD 21.0 ROM, and had wiped my phone clean before updating. Since then, I haven't been able to figure out how the contacts syncing with Google works. I had two questions, if any kind soul could help. Apparently, my contacts weren't uploaded to Google automatically, so I ended up with only like 10 contacts when I tried to restore from Google contacts.

1. How to get the phone to automatically save contacts to Google servers instead (and maybe even have a copy on my Phone storage)? I've added plenty of contacts in the past few months, and thought that they automatically get synched to the server, but apparently not.

2. I'm not able to extract all contacts from a vcard. I have my contacts (from a few months ago) in my mac, so I exported to a vcard (which had 213 contacts) and transferred to my phone and opened it there. The phone goes through its whole thing saying it's extracting and processing/saving/whatever to the contacts, but only a few show up in my contacts list.

3. I've tried restoring contacts from my iPhone backup using HTC Sync Manager too. It worked like a charm when I first got the phone, but now even if I use the same backup file, my phone refuses to show my old contacts.

Any suggestions are appreciated :(

If you can get your contacts to a CSV file type, you can then upload them to Google through your desktop, which will link them to your Google account once you sign in, and will then automatically sync with your phone.

I'm pretty sure there's a setting somewhere in the Contact app that will let you choose where they get saved when you enter them. Actually, I can't find that setting, but mine automatically saves them to Google. Weird that yours doesn't.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
If you can get your contacts to a CSV file type, you can then upload them to Google through your desktop, which will link them to your Google account once you sign in, and will then automatically sync with your phone.

I'm pretty sure there's a setting somewhere in the Contact app that will let you choose where they get saved when you enter them. Actually, I can't find that setting, but mine automatically saves them to Google. Weird that yours doesn't.
Yeah. I kinda tried that today morning and tried to import the vcf file into Google Contacts (in gmail), but when I click on Import, it just says 'importing' for a quick second and then closes. I don't see the new contacts even now. I've tried that a couple of times to no avail.

About the default location, yeah, I think there's an option to choose where you want to save your contacts individually. I might have had it set to 'Phone' earlier, or maybe something got messed up when I merged/linked contacts.

edit: never mind. It looks like there was something wrong with the vcard (which I got from my mac). I exported another vcard (with all my old contacts) from iCloud.com this time, imported them into gmail and it just worked fine this time. Thanks :)
I've gotta make sure to add contacts to Google rather than Phone from next time maybe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12