4.3 OTA on rooted phones - question

dug13

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello
I have the sprint HTC one, I unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP and rooted. What do I have to do to install 4.3? Will I get the it's update? If so will it mess up the phone if I try to install?
Tia

Posted via Android Central App

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Once you root, accepting an update could either take away root or mess up your phone. Best thing to do now is research and download a rom and install 4.3.

Sent from my One using AC Forums mobile app

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Once you root, accepting an update could either take away root or mess up your phone. Best thing to do now is research and download a rom and install 4.3.

Sent from my One using AC Forums mobile app

Yep, what he said! IMHO, Go with either AOKP or GPE Rom, I've personally found that those two roms seem to be the most stable; again, that's just my opinion.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello
I have the sprint HTC one, I unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP and rooted. What do I have to do to install 4.3? Will I get the it's update? If so will it mess up the phone if I try to install?
Tia

Easy. Backup. Restore stock backup in twrp. Flash stock recovery. Update. Flash twrp. Backup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dug13

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a backup of my stock Rom I did after I unlocked and installed TWRP, and before I rooted. So if I restore the unrooted backup, I will nerd to flash the stock recovery right? Will I then need to relock the bootloader?
Relocking through HTC dev didn't work very well when I tried to do it before. The revoke method won't work because I will be unrooted. I kinda want to keep the stock Rom but update to 4.3. What options do I have?
Tia

BlakeGates

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
No need to relock the bootloader. Just flash stock recovery and you're good to go. Now, that being said, I don't know if an OTA update will relock the bootloader itself, if it does that's an easy fix.

You just need to have stock recovery for the OTA update to install properly.

EDIT: Just re-read the last part of your message... To keep stock ROM, but have 4.3 you only have a couple options. 1) Go through the process of gaining S-Off to be able to flash the Google Play Edition RUU. Once done properly, this will allow you to receive OTA updates just as a "normal" GPe device does from Google. 2) Find a ROM that is based on 4.3, but is running the Sense 5.0 overlay; keeping your device stock looking, but with the advantages of 4.3 and a custom ROM.

Maybe check out Viperboy's ViperROM? He designed the software to pretty much look exactly like stock, but with many cool features added in. I've not flashed it myself, but I've read a lot of good things about it. I'm not entirely certain if he's based it off of 4.3 or 4.2.

Hope this has helped some! :)

Posted via the AC App from my N7v2 or HTC One

dug13

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
No need to relock the bootloader. Just flash stock recovery and you're good to go. Now, that being said, I don't know if an OTA update will relock the bootloader itself, if it does that's an easy fix.

You just need to have stock recovery for the OTA update to install properly.

EDIT: Just re-read the last part of your message... To keep stock ROM, but have 4.3 you only have a couple options. 1) Go through the process of gaining S-Off to be able to flash the Google Play Edition RUU. Once done properly, this will allow you to receive OTA updates just as a "normal" GPe device does from Google. 2) Find a ROM that is based on 4.3, but is running the Sense 5.0 overlay; keeping your device stock looking, but with the advantages of 4.3 and a custom ROM.

Maybe check out Viperboy's ViperROM? He designed the software to pretty much look exactly like stock, but with many cool features added in. I've not flashed it myself, but I've read a lot of good things about it. I'm not entirely certain if he's based it off of 4.3 or 4.2.

Hope this has helped some! :)

Posted via the AC App from my N7v2 or HTC One

Thanks for the replies, so if i understand, i can restore my unrooted stock rom, then from there i need to flash the stock bootloader, then i will be able to get the ota 4.3 update correct?
Can anyone point out where i can find step by step instructions for flashing the stock recovory?
Thanks

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
If you don't have to wait and also don't want to go to a custom ROM for 4.3 you can change your CID and MID and install the RUU for 4.3 that HTC already posted on the HTC Dev website.

If you want to keep you stock ROM (and wait for the OTA) just download the RUU for your carrier instead and proceed with that. RUU will flash stock recovery, firmware, radios and ROM. You will be back to stock.

dug13

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have to wait and also don't want to go to a custom ROM for 4.3 you can change your CID and MID and install the RUU for 4.3 that HTC already posted on the HTC Dev website.

If you want to keep you stock ROM (and wait for the OTA) just download the RUU for your carrier instead and proceed with that. RUU will flash stock recovery, firmware, radios and ROM. You will be back to stock.

Will I have to relock the bootloader at any point?

dug13

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
There's no need to relock it. Leave it unlocked.
I thought i watched a video from qbking77 that said you would have to relock the bootloader in order to RUU back to stock? He has instructions on how to relock it. But will i have to go through the HTC DEV site unlock process to unlock for root after i RUU? If so i have heard you need yor original unlock "code??" thinginy that i dont have.Has anyone use the RUU method with an unlocked bootloader?
I am just affraid trying to unlock it again after its relocked might not work.
Please help
tia

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I thought i watched a video from qbking77 that said you would have to relock the bootloader in order to RUU back to stock? He has instructions on how to relock it. But will i have to go through the HTC DEV site unlock process to unlock for root after i RUU? If so i have heard you need yor original unlock "code??" thinginy that i dont have.Has anyone use the RUU method with an unlocked bootloader?
I am just affraid trying to unlock it again after its relocked might not work.
Please help
tia

I have installed the European RUU to have 4.2.2 before 4.3 was available and also installed the original US RUU to get 4.3. I never relocked my bootloader.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21