Hi all, I am brand new to HTC One and Android in general. I am coming off my disappointment with BB imploding and I just have a very difficult time with iphone's new ios7(It is too small and light for my middle aged eyes).
    So, I have a few questions please:

Is there a Verizon branded HTC user manual that can help me learn all the nuances of this phone?

Can I auto sync, wirelessly, my Yahoo contacts to the HTC contact app or do I have to use Google Contacts? It is not that big of a deal for me, but I prefer to continue to use Yahoo contacts if possible.

I obviously screwed something up in contacts, because every contact is either doubled or tripled. I have enabled Google Contacts and perhaps Verizon's Backup Assistant doubled up my contacts? If so, how might I go about rectifying the situation please? I seem to have two contact accounts listed: Google and Phone accounts. All I want are the Google contacts. How might I go about closing out the Phone Account?

Last question for now, Is the Mail application a universal mail app? In other words, if I set up a gmail and yahoo mail account will the mail app include both accounts or do I have to view the accounts through to separate apps?

Thanks in advance, John
    09-27-2013 11:16 PM
    You can de-duplicate contacts in the settings of the contacts app.

The mail app can hold any email profile (e.g. yahoo, gmail, idk).

And then I'm not too sure about the yahoo contacts thing.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    09-27-2013 11:23 PM
    Wecome to Android Central!

Here's the Verizon manual: http://dl4.htc.com/web_materials/Man..._Guide_WWE.pdf

You can install the Yahoo Mail app, which gives you the option to sync your Yahoo contacts with your phone's contact app. It's actually a pretty nice mail app.

To see why your contacts are doubled or tripled up, go to your Contacts app (or People app--I think the name varies with the device), select a contact, and tap the menu button, then Edit. It should display at the top of the screen which account that contact belongs to (i.e., Google, Yahoo, Phone, etc.). The Phone account is pretty useless, in my opinion, since it isn't syncable to Google--you can sync with Microsoft Outlook or some other 3rd party desktop programs using 3rd party software, but it's usually pretty clunky. Not sure if there's an easy way of deleting all Phone Account contacts apart from deleting them one by one. The Contacts/People app usually gives you the option of joining contacts that are identical or similar (which is intended to get rid of duplicates by consolidating the information), so see if there's an option for that in the app's menu.

The Mail app can be used to consolidate various accounts like Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo (although Yahoo can be a bit of a pain if you don't have the premium Yahoo service--in my experience, you can't forward mail from the free Yahoo service to the stock Email app). However, since you're interested in syncing your Yahoo contacts, you'll still want to use the Yahoo Mail app as discussed above.
    Paul627g likes this.
    09-27-2013 11:30 PM
    Looks like your in good hands OP.

Welcome to the forums!

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums App.
    09-27-2013 11:35 PM
    i dont think you can use your yahoo contact list to sync with the phone app - just google mail, google+ or facebook.

in the people tab of your phone app, find the 'Phonebook' menu in the top left corner. tap it and select the sources of your contact list. if you want just google, keep only that one selected.

the mail app is universal.
    09-27-2013 11:36 PM
    i dont think you can use your yahoo contact list to sync with the phone app - just google mail, google+ or facebook.

in the people tab of your phone app, find the 'Phonebook' menu in the top left corner. tap it and select the sources of your contact list. if you want just google, keep only that one selected.

the mail app is universal.
    Yep, you can sync Yahoo Contacts. In the Yahoo Mail app, swipe to the right to get the side menu, scroll down and tap Settings. Then tap your Yahoo account. There's a checkbox for "Sync Yahoo! Contacts," with a description, "Syncs contacts with device's address book."
    09-27-2013 11:38 PM
    Yep, you can sync Yahoo Contacts. In the Yahoo Mail app, swipe to the right to get the side menu, scroll down and tap Settings. Then tap your Yahoo account. There's a checkbox for "Sync Yahoo! Contacts," with a description, "Syncs contacts with device's address book."
    heh. coming from iphone i usually underestimate the scope of influence of third party apps. thanks for the correction.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-27-2013 11:43 PM
    Wecome to Android Central!

Here's the Verizon manual: http://dl4.htc.com/web_materials/Man..._Guide_WWE.pdf

You can install the Yahoo Mail app, which gives you the option to sync your Yahoo contacts with your phone's contact app. It's actually a pretty nice mail app.

To see why your contacts are doubled or tripled up, go to your Contacts app (or People app--I think the name varies with the device), select a contact, and tap the menu button, then Edit. It should display at the top of the screen which account that contact belongs to (i.e., Google, Yahoo, Phone, etc.). The Phone account is pretty useless, in my opinion, since it isn't syncable to Google--you can sync with Microsoft Outlook or some other 3rd party desktop programs using 3rd party software, but it's usually pretty clunky. Not sure if there's an easy way of deleting all Phone Account contacts apart from deleting them one by one. The Contacts/People app usually gives you the option of joining contacts that are identical or similar (which is intended to get rid of duplicates by consolidating the information), so see if there's an option for that in the app's menu.

The Mail app can be used to consolidate various accounts like Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo (although Yahoo can be a bit of a pain if you don't have the premium Yahoo service--in my experience, you can't forward mail from the free Yahoo service to the stock Email app). However, since you're interested in syncing your Yahoo contacts, you'll still want to use the Yahoo Mail app as discussed above.
    Damn so im pretty much screwed when it comes to pushing emails since i have regular yahoo email an not premium?
    09-27-2013 11:49 PM
    It's been a while since I tried, so maybe you can do it now with the free Yahoo mail account. Anyone else here been successful with it?
    09-27-2013 11:59 PM
    It's been a while since I tried, so maybe you can do it now with the free Yahoo mail account. Anyone else here been successful with it?
    Oh ok thanks! Yeah i ordered my htc one an should be getting it in a few days an then i'll try getting the free yahoo mail account to connect. I didnt know there was an issue with that until now. Anyone out there been successful?
    09-28-2013 12:08 AM
    Here's a thread discussing the issue: http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ail-app-2.html

This page (http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?local...ent&id=SLN4724) from Yahoo themselves specifically says, "this feature is available only to Mail Plus subscribers."
    Paul627g likes this.
    09-28-2013 12:17 AM
    Wow, thank you everyone!!! I cleared up the duplicate contacts with your suggestions. Looking into the Yahoo Mail app now and will see if I can sync my contacts through it.

With respect to my mail accounts: Yahoo and Gmail, even though I have Gmail set up, I am only getting Yahoo Mail in the Mail App that came with the phone. I sent myself an email from my Yahoo account to my Gmail account and it only shows up in the Gmail app. I look at the top left hand corner of the Mail App and it only shows Yahoo. How do I get the Mail App to include my Gmail account please? I am pretty sure I am referring to the universal mail app. It is an icon of an envelope with a slight reddish line running along the flap.
    09-28-2013 12:19 AM
    Wow, thank you everyone!!! I cleared up the duplicate contacts with your suggestions. Looking into the Yahoo Mail app now and will see if I can sync my contacts through it.

With respect to my mail accounts: Yahoo and Gmail, even though I have Gmail set up, I am only getting Yahoo Mail in the Mail App that came with the phone. I sent myself an email from my Yahoo account to my Gmail account and it only shows up in the Gmail app. I look at the top left hand corner of the Mail App and it only shows Yahoo. How do I get the Mail App to include my Gmail account please?
    on the top right menu of the mail app, select *add account* and then gmail.

what might be happening is that gmail app is grabbing your email before the mail app is... although not sure if that would prevent the latter from receiving it.

the tricky question is how you remove your gmail account from your gmail app i couldnt find a way when i looked into it and finally gave into it, keeping my gmail account in its own app.

you might have to remove gmail app altogether if you dont plan to use it.
    09-28-2013 12:24 AM
    Tried everything you stated: I cant delete the gmail app, it wont let me. I have no idea how to perhaps delete my gmail account and try again. Also, under the universal app, "add account", there is no longer an icon for adding gmail account. It seems somehow I did something that keeps the universal mail app from grabbing the gmail account. Perhaps I can add the gmail account manually?

P.S. Yes that did it. I added the Gmail account to the Universal Mail App manually and now I am getting both Yahoo and Gmail into the app. I then went to the Gmail app and unchecked sync this account. So even though the Gmail app cant be deleted it wont sync email and I will get only my email into the Universal App.

Thanks guys.
    09-28-2013 12:36 AM
    Here's a thread discussing the issue: http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ail-app-2.html

This page (Helpcentral Help | - SLN4724 - POP server settings for Yahoo Mail) from Yahoo themselves specifically says, "this feature is available only to Mail Plus subscribers."
    Cool! Just read everyones replies in that thread an seem like its a pain with yahoo. Maybe i'll just have to switch over to gmail from yahoo for good...if i find the htc one/android to fit my needs once i get it in.
    09-28-2013 12:36 AM

With respect to my mail accounts: Yahoo and Gmail, even though I have Gmail set up, I am only getting Yahoo Mail in the Mail App that came with the phone. I sent myself an email from my Yahoo account to my Gmail account and it only shows up in the Gmail app. I look at the top left hand corner of the Mail App and it only shows Yahoo. How do I get the Mail App to include my Gmail account please? I am pretty sure I am referring to the universal mail app. It is an icon of an envelope with a slight reddish line running along the flap.
    So Yahoo mail is working for you in the stock mail app itself? Incoming an outgoing?
    09-28-2013 12:38 AM
    Yes, but I have a premium or plus Yahoo account not the free account. Whatever it is called.
    09-28-2013 12:43 AM
    Yes, but I have a premium or plus Yahoo account not the free account. Whatever it is called.
    You should be all set, then.
    09-28-2013 12:48 AM
    Oh ok yeah i have just the free version. I never made the jump to gmail because of privacy issues google is known for. Im sure all email providers in one way or another work the same when it comes to keeping your emails ''secure'' but always heard about gmail more than others. So i just been iffy on making the switch. Paying $20 a year for yahoo plus doesnt seem too bad but not too sure yet. Im torn in between!!!!!!! lol
    09-28-2013 01:02 AM