Contacts and syncing with my car's bluetooth

Norgoth

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

So here is my issue: I am fairly new to HTC One and have set up Facebook, Yahoo, Gmail, Twitter. I installed the Yahoo mail app so that I could sync my Yahoo contacts to the HTC. On my phone I have unchecked all the Contacts except for Yahoo(my main contact list) in the People App. On the phone everything is fine. I have checked "Last Name First, so that all my contacts are listed by last name. Now the issue is when I connect my phone to my car through Bluetooth. When I view my phone list on the car, the vast vast majority of my contacts are listed 4 or 5 times. In addition, all my contacts are listed by First name, not last name on the car.

Perhaps someone could take me through the steps necessary for me to somehow eliminate this duplication? I gather the issue is that my car is still picking up all the contacts from the various contact lists that I have on the phone even though I unchecked them on my People App. I have no idea how to go about clearing this issue up.

Thanks, John

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

So here is my issue: I am fairly new to HTC One and have set up Facebook, Yahoo, Gmail, Twitter. I installed the Yahoo mail app so that I could sync my Yahoo contacts to the HTC. On my phone I have unchecked all the Contacts except for Yahoo(my main contact list) in the People App. On the phone everything is fine. I have checked "Last Name First, so that all my contacts are listed by last name. Now the issue is when I connect my phone to my car through Bluetooth. When I view my phone list on the car, the vast vast majority of my contacts are listed 4 or 5 times. In addition, all my contacts are listed by First name, not last name on the car.

Perhaps someone could take me through the steps necessary for me to somehow eliminate this duplication? I gather the issue is that my car is still picking up all the contacts from the various contact lists that I have on the phone even though I unchecked them on my People App. I have no idea how to go about clearing this issue up.

Thanks, John

This is a tough situation.
You are asking how to fix a third party application for a car that wasnt built for the phone either.
Two third party things as the phone is the mediator.

Too many variables and problems. I dont think you will be able to fix this.

andriver

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I would start by deleting all your phone books and contacts from your auto. Pair the phone and see if that solves the duplicates.

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Go into contacts on your phone click up top where it says phonebook. This will give you a drop down menu of what contacts are shown untick all of them except yahoo.

You also have options to link or merge contacts into your Google contacts. Linking probably won't solve your problem, and it's a little buggy, but merging will. After you merge the contacts just tick Google contacts only.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
You think it might be due to the Yahoo app then? Perhaps I should just use Google contacts and leave it at that?

I prefer to use google as my only source of contacts. I deleted all mine from the sim/phone and dont use anything third party like facebook, etc
And my bluetooth radio reads it fine.

Norgoth

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to merge them all at once rather than me having to merge them one by one? I have over 200 contacts to merge.

Go into contacts on your phone click up top where it says phonebook. This will give you a drop down menu of what contacts are shown untick all of them except yahoo.

You also have options to link or merge contacts into your Google contacts. Linking probably won't solve your problem, and it's a little buggy, but merging will. After you merge the contacts just tick Google contacts only.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

- - - Updated - - -

How did you deleted them, by disabling or deleting the various apps?

I prefer to use google as my only source of contacts. I deleted all mine from the sim/phone and dont use anything third party like facebook, etc
And my bluetooth radio reads it fine.

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If you use the contacts plus app from the play store you can merge them all at once and you can choose what accounts to merge specifically. I think there's a way in the stock contacts app but when I used it before it was less than perfect.

For myself I've found the best way for myself to manage my contacts is in MS Outlook synced to my Google account. From there you can easily setup your groups and how you want the names displayed (last first, first last) etc.

I'm using the Contacts Plus app for contact management on my phone and it has taken the place of Handset for sms/mms also.
You can use Contacts Plus for everything, contacts, text messaging and phone calls. I like the fact it's all in one free app that gives you a lot of options in how your contacts are displayed etc.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Stan Sutcliffe

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I put in a support call to return my Nexus 4 as it was useless to me if it could not be used in my VW Sharan vehicle.

I was told to check that I was using Android V.3 which I was.
However I also had my young daughter listening in and she said that her friend had the same problem and it was because she hadn't "imported" her contacts from the sim card.
I looked through my contact list on the Nexus and realised that all the names were almost the same but they were taken from my online email accounts.
My daughter went into my "people" app, tapped the 3-dot icon in the bottom right of the screen and selected import/export, Import from SIM card and ....

I went back to the car and IT WORKED righ taway without any further interaction.
My phone-book came up on the screen immediately I pressed my phone button on the steering wheel and I was able to make my first call in 4 weeks

I don't know if this will be the problem solver for everyone but I hope it might help some of you guys.... it was really stressing me, I can tell you

Good luck!