This may not be the place to ask but i figured ill give it a shot an see if someone can help since i cant find a solution. I just got my htc one an loving it so far so good and i converted alot of stuff since im winging away from apples ecosystem like itunes an ios etc. My problem is i have 400 songs in itunes that are drm protected an i cant find a way to convert them to unprotected mp3. I burned them to a cd an then imported them back in an it didnt work even when i changed import settings. Anybody know of a work around? Im on a Mac. Thanks!
    10-01-2013 01:31 AM
    only way I can think of is to burn the songs to a disc and then rip it on your computer.
    10-01-2013 01:32 AM
    only way I can think of is to burn the songs to a disc and then rip it on your computer.
    i burnt them to a disc an when inserted itunes opens up an then i try to rip/import them with itunes an it'll do it but in its own protected format. When i change import setting it tells me i cant do it because its protected.
    10-01-2013 01:35 AM
    I believe if you sign up to iTunes Match and upload them to iCloud then delete it and re download it it will remove the DRM when downloading from iCloud.
    10-01-2013 03:23 AM
    Did you burn them to a CD in their native format (many, many songs per CD) or did you burn them as an audio CD (only ~80 minutes of music per CD, will pay in most any CD player)?
    garyft likes this.
    10-01-2013 08:20 AM
    My best advice is to stop buying music from a service that uses DRM.
    10-01-2013 08:44 AM
    Everyone who uses iTunes took your advice back in 2009.
    10-01-2013 08:48 AM
    Did you burn them to a CD in their native format (many, many songs per CD) or did you burn them as an audio CD (only ~80 minutes of music per CD, will pay in most any CD player)?
    Yeah i burnt them to a cd in their native format. The cd was a dvd an it burned all 400 songs to it an it plays back but when i import them back to itunes an i change the import settings to mp3 it says it cannot do it because its protected.
    10-01-2013 12:36 PM
    Oh trust me i have already stopped buying DRM protected music because of the pain it causes when converting to other formats. My thing was i was in the apple ecosystem when i was using itunes so it never came to mind whether DRM or not. But now im trying to wing away from it all for good.
    10-01-2013 12:39 PM
    Yeah i burnt them to a cd in their native format. The cd was a dvd an it burned all 400 songs to it an it plays back but when i import them back to itunes an i change the import settings to mp3 it says it cannot do it because its protected.
    You have to burn them to an audio CD. You're just copying the protected songs from one place to another, which won't remove the DRM. You have to convert them to the audio format a CD player recognizes (which doesn't support DRM) and then convert them back from that format to whatever format you want to import them back into your music management software (MP3, AAC, etc.) It's pretty tedious when you're talking about 400 songs.
    10-01-2013 12:40 PM
    You have to burn them to an audio CD. You're just copying the protected songs from one place to another, which won't remove the DRM. You have to convert them to the audio format a CD player recognizes (which doesn't support DRM) and then convert them back from that format to whatever format you want to import them back into your music management software (MP3, AAC, etc.) It's pretty tedious when you're talking about 400 songs.
    Oh ok no wonder lol Yeah i see what you mean. That is definately going to be alot of cd's especially for 400 songs. Id do the itunes match plus or whatever its called but im not trying to spend $25. But then again if i use the audio cd's it may cost about the same amount or close to it since its all of songs to burn?
    10-01-2013 12:44 PM
    AFAIK, CD-RW would work so you don't need enough CD's to put all of the songs on. You can just use a CD-RW. Here's a 5 pack of CD-RW on Amazon for $6.

Amazon.com: Memorex 8x-12x CD-RW Media (5-Pack with Slim Jewel Cases): Electronics
    10-01-2013 12:50 PM
    AFAIK, CD-RW would work so you don't need enough CD's to put all of the songs on. You can just use a CD-RW. Here's a 5 pack of CD-RW on Amazon for $6.

Amazon.com: Memorex 8x-12x CD-RW Media (5-Pack with Slim Jewel Cases): Electronics
    So the CD-RW i can reuse them over an over since their rewritable?
    10-01-2013 01:04 PM
    So the CD-RW i can reuse them over an over since their rewritable?
    That's the idea. I honestly have no idea of how good of a quality those particular CD-RW's are, it's just one option that I saw that was nice and cheap.
    10-01-2013 01:16 PM
    That's the idea. I honestly have no idea of how good of a quality those particular CD-RW's are, it's just one option that I saw that was nice and cheap.
    Ok cool i'll give it a shot with cd-rw. Yeah reviews on those some were saying it wouldnt play back or burn to them but ill give it a go an see what happens. Thanks garublador!
    10-01-2013 01:26 PM