Looks like I found an ugly bug in the HTC one W/ Sense5

neolistic

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You realize iOS 7 has more bugs right? There has been 2 updates in the first two weeks!

Posted via Android Central App

that's beside the point, this is not a flame war on IOS7 vs sense5, I have both android and apple and enjoy both products for what they offer. This thread is about a potential bug that retracts from overall user experience. Please keep the hate comments to a minimum.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
even if you are in the app drawer and then go to the lock screen and back, you will notice the status bar changing its black level(pretty much over writing the current status bar). Obviously not a design decision if its doing it even to a screen where it doesn't need to change the status bar.

So when going from the lock screen into anywhere, regardless of where you were prior to locking it, it has the same behavior? That makes it sound like that's what's supposed to happen. I'm confused on how consistency would make it either not a design decision or a bug. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that you don't like it, but based on the output it looks like that's intentionally built into Sense.

It obviously could be either accidental or intentional, but it appears designed rather than random to me, given that it happens consistently, even on custom ROMs and doesn't seem to be happening in random places, like if you open or close such and such app, etc.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
It's okay if you notice a bug. It's okay if you don't like it, and it's okay if it's deal breaker.

But to do so and in the same paragraph try to convince everyone that Apple is perfect is ludicrous. As others have pointed out, there are flaws and bugs with Apple, too, just as there are with every device. If you're looking for something "perfect", you should just stop now, because it doesn't exist.

neolistic

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
So when going from the lock screen into anywhere, regardless of where you were prior to locking it, it has the same behavior? That makes it sound like that's what's supposed to happen. I'm confused on how consistency would make it either not a design decision or a bug. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that you don't like it, but based on the output it looks like that's intentionally built into Sense.

It obviously could be either accidental or intentional, but it appears designed rather than random to me, given that it happens consistently, even on custom ROMs and doesn't seem to be happening in random places, like if you open or close such and such app, etc.

its hard to explain but if you go to the app drawer and then switch to lock screen... when you unlock your device and look up at the status bar you can tell that the status bar changes color. What this observation is telling you is that there is a overlay problem. Whats happening is the status bar is overlapping with the status bar of the app drawer which gives you that odd effect. Now if you go to your phone screen and then lock your phone and return you notice that the status bar is static without any changes(same goes for the text message screen). So far I have isolated the problem to the app drawer, main home screen, and blink feed where the status bar slighty glitches. i wouldn't say that the app drawer or blink feed are bad, but they do reflect on some poor design decisions.

What makes this a real issue is the status bar going from black to transparent after returning from the lock screen. The other two areas where it occurs are somewhat masked by their respective status bars already being black.

dazr87

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
and you've notified HTC about this via the appropriate channels and awaited their response?

I do know exactly what you're talking about, Ive seen in almost every Sense 5 ROM (I've pretty much used them all), however I do prefer stock android to any of the manufacturer overlays anyways, so I'm fully converted to GPE using the GPE RUU. The status bar is transparent on the lock screen and the non-blinkfeed homescreens, however when unlocking the device (as far as I've noticed) is that the blinkfeed panel refreshes (not updates), and so that's what you're most likely seeing, it's very possible they could have done this on purpose, for many reasons as people have said previous, it's also quite possible that this was overlooked. Now, as far as premium devices and prices, nothing is perfect and in fact, it's not the so called "premium" design of sense you're paying $500 for, its the premium hardware. In most cases this hasnt bothered anyone (i've never seen a complaint about it until now), but as I said at the start of my post, contacting HTC via the correct channels is the ONLY way that you will get a definitive answer about whether its supposed to do it or not. Now I will admit I've never been a huge fan of iOS, it's simply just too closed off for me (personal preference) however, your first few posts making comparisons and a bit of bashing here and there isnt going to help the matter or indeed fix the problem you have. These kinds of little digs here and there about android this and iOS that, will ALWAYS start a fire, then consider this, you posted those comparisons/digs in an Android forum, where, inevitably you were setting yourself up for an argument (knowing so or not).

Either way, like it or not, put up with it or not, use the correct channels to voice your opinion to HTC about what you may think be a "bug" otherwise, you're shouting into an empty cup. :)

PS - Does this make 5ense? (see what i did? LOL!) or did i just ramble... hmm...

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think a lot of people who post here are in fact fandroids How to Dual Boot Multiple ROMs on Your Android Phone

It was a playful jab at your repeated misspelling of the word "dual." I was initially going to go with a joke about dueling ROMs but decided against it. Looks like I made the right call.

And there are Android fans at Android Central? Get outta here!

And, just because, here?s my iPhone.
2013-10-03 22.45.10.jpg

neolistic

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
and you've notified HTC about this via the appropriate channels and awaited their response?

I do know exactly what you're talking about, Ive seen in almost every Sense 5 ROM (I've pretty much used them all), however I do prefer stock android to any of the manufacturer overlays anyways, so I'm fully converted to GPE using the GPE RUU. The status bar is transparent on the lock screen and the non-blinkfeed homescreens, however when unlocking the device (as far as I've noticed) is that the blinkfeed panel refreshes (not updates), and so that's what you're most likely seeing, it's very possible they could have done this on purpose, for many reasons as people have said previous, it's also quite possible that this was overlooked. Now, as far as premium devices and prices, nothing is perfect and in fact, it's not the so called "premium" design of sense you're paying $500 for, its the premium hardware. In most cases this hasnt bothered anyone (i've never seen a complaint about it until now), but as I said at the start of my post, contacting HTC via the correct channels is the ONLY way that you will get a definitive answer about whether its supposed to do it or not. Now I will admit I've never been a huge fan of iOS, it's simply just too closed off for me (personal preference) however, your first few posts making comparisons and a bit of bashing here and there isnt going to help the matter or indeed fix the problem you have. These kinds of little digs here and there about android this and iOS that, will ALWAYS start a fire, then consider this, you posted those comparisons/digs in an Android forum, where, inevitably you were setting yourself up for an argument (knowing so or not).

Either way, like it or not, put up with it or not, use the correct channels to voice your opinion to HTC about what you may think be a "bug" otherwise, you're shouting into an empty cup. :)

PS - Does this make 5ense? (see what i did? LOL!) or did i just ramble... hmm...

very intelligent post, I agree with everything you said. When I stated my opinion it definitely set off a few people to pick apart my gripes. What I would have liked is more focus on the issue and less on my opinion, but I guess you can't separate the two on here.

I hope somehow I will get the right people on the issue and I thought android central was a good start and so far I've noticed that some of the right people are taking a look at it. What I also noticed is that when you press the home button you get a delayed effect of the black status bar over top the transparent one. I don't see this as a design choice as it serves almost no purpose.
YouTube

dazr87

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
very intelligent post, I agree with everything you said. When I stated my opinion it definitely set off a few people to pick apart my gripes. What I would have liked is more focus on the issue and less on my opinion, but I guess you can't separate the two on here.

I hope somehow I will get the right people on the issue and I thought android central was a good start and so far I've noticed that some of the right people are taking a look at it. What I also noticed is that when you press the home button you get a delayed effect of the black status bar over top the transparent one. I don't see this as a design choice as it serves almost no purpose.
YouTube

oh well, what do you know... first time I've been called intelligent haha thanks =P

I see where you're coming from, however it may well be a design choice, it is sometimes difficult to see/read your status bar with certain wallpapers (light/bright coloured ones) so maybe they thought to counteract that, instead of having an opaque status bar 100% of the time, they added in a quick flash for you to get a better look at it?

I'm just throwing idea about, after all, i'm not a designer and know nothing (well, not quite nothing lol) about designing. But one thing I cant wrap my head around, is that if its not meant to be there, then surely they noticed it, if you did, then thru their testing etc they would have too, and if so, why wouldnt it have been fixed, i'm guessing it'd be a fairly quick and easy fix to make. They'd have no reason to leave it then just have to fix it sometime down the line when enough people have complained about it? because in turn, that would be setting themselves up for bad rep, which they certainly dont need at the minute.

Have you tried MaximusHD ROM?

I cant tell you if it's apparent in this ROM, as I'm not running it atm, but out of most of the Sense 5 ROMs I've tried, I find this to be the best one, I've never had any issues with it like I have with others. However, being a Sense 5 ROM, it is likely to be there, as it's a Sense 5 related issue. :)

Another quick thing, going back to the gripe you have with it. I know you were just voicing your opinion earlier, which is fair enough, everyone is entitled to do so. However I do feel the comparisons you made were somewhat flawed, as the other people rightly said, I'd rather have a tiny thing like this visible in the OS, than 3 or 4 major security flaws, where my lockscreen passcode can be bypassed with a few simple steps.

neolistic

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
have not tried maximus, and at this point I believe the problem is with sense5 as a whole. Until it's addressed I'll be using google play edition since I've already made up my mind its the best possible rom for the htc one

dazr87

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
have not tried maximus, and at this point I believe the problem is with sense5 as a whole. Until it's addressed I'll be using google play edition since I've already made up my mind its the best possible rom for the htc one

yeah i guess that's probably best and I agree, personally I love stock android. It's like a clean slate for me to do what I want with, whether it be mod, theme, customise, whatever =D Plus its smooth and simply put, it just works. I do think Sense 5 is a huge step up from Sense 4 (most might not agree) but its simple, clean and mostly bug free lol and there's no way in hell I could ever put up with TouchWiz and the multitude of crap thats bundled with it :S

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
that's beside the point, this is not a flame war on IOS7 vs sense5, I have both android and apple and enjoy both products for what they offer. This thread is about a potential bug that retracts from overall user experience. Please keep the hate comments to a minimum.
Wooooow! Just now watched the video since I was on my phone earlier and was busy with school. THAT retracts from the user experience? That is the bug you are making such a big deal about? That looks completely normal to me, it changes opacity for a split second. If this bothers you I can't even imagine how much you'd be complaining on the iMore forums if you were still on iOS. I'm done with this thread, it's a joke!

dazr87

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Wooooow! Just now watched the video since I was on my phone earlier and was busy with school. THAT retracts from the user experience? That is the bug you are making such a big deal about? That looks completely normal to me, it changes opacity for a split second. If this bothers you I can't even imagine how much you'd be complaining on the iMore forums if you were still on iOS. I'm done with this thread, it's a joke!

to be perfectly honest, I think it's sad when people have to resort to childishness on these forums. They arent here for name calling, arguing or taking the p*ss out of people. So perhaps show a little respect to others, the mods, mobile nations in general and most of all yourself. If you have nothing constructive to say and this thread is as much as joke as you say, then there's really no need for you to be saying anything here and i'm sure the mods would agree. Saves them a lot of work getting rid of stupidity in the threads.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
While calling this a deal breaker is a bit outlandish as many have said in this thread, any user can/has needs and different tastes. If that transparent transition on the status bar is too much for the OP, looking to get away from it makes sense for him. Try other ROMs.

I think Android doesn't provides a transparent status bar and it's something OEM are implementing. I don't know if it could be possible to have a transparent status bar without that transition at all. I've seen the S4 has a transparent status bar too but I don't know if it has to make that transition.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Let's try and keep the thread constructive-on both sides. No name calling and no more talk of 'fandroids'. In answer to the problem I use a dark wallpaper that is black near the top of the screen. This means the visual impact of the "bug" is minimised. You could try that. Obviously it still happens but with such dark colours you have to be looking really hard for it to notice it.

dazr87

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Let's try and keep the thread constructive-on both sides. No name calling and no more talk of 'fandroids'. In answer to the problem I use a dark wallpaper that is black near the top of the screen. This means the visual impact of the "bug" is minimised. You could try that. Obviously it still happens but with such dark colours you have to be looking really hard for it to notice it.

perfect solution i say! =D

neolistic

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
great solution for the time being, but the real highlight of the htc one is the beautiful colors and their effect on the overall look of the phone. Although darker color backgrounds are nice I find they don't make your phone look as attractive unless you're using a UI such as chamleon launcher. Problem with Chamelon launcher is it lags really bad. I'd really like to see HTC work on sense 5 to iron out the kinks if I'm ever going to use sense ever again.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
to be perfectly honest, I think it's sad when people have to resort to childishness on these forums. They arent here for name calling, arguing or taking the p*ss out of people. So perhaps show a little respect to others, the mods, mobile nations in general and most of all yourself. If you have nothing constructive to say and this thread is as much as joke as you say, then there's really no need for you to be saying anything here and i'm sure the mods would agree. Saves them a lot of work getting rid of stupidity in the threads.

This a thousand times. People ignored my earlier warning. Please don't ignore this one.

OP - I didn't try all the combinations you did, so I didn't notice it myself. Apologies

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome