Android 4.3 Update For TV Remote App

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I successfully downloaded Android 4.3 on my Sprint HTC One. About 24-hrs after the download I had a notification for the TV remote app prompting me to update the TV/Cable boxes I have programmed in the app. The first time I just didn't have the time to complete the update and if I remember correctly I chose something to the effect of "remind me later." Well this morning I received the same notification as I was heading out the door so again, I did not have time to do the update. Now I am home and have plenty of time on my hands and I want to do this update for the TV remote app but don't know how to get the phone to do what the notification was prompting me to do. Simply launching the TV remote app doesn't automatically start the update process because last night after I had already chose to do the update at a later date I used the remote app while I was watching TV. It worked fine but never prompted me to start the update and then this morning I received the notification again on my way out the door so that was the second missed opportunity to complete this. I believe it has something to do w/ updating the channels in the app's data base for your service provider which is something I would like to do.

I was wondering if there is a way to manually launch the update process or do I simply have to wait until it prompts me again w/ a notification (which unfortunately will probably be at a time when I am either not home or heading out the door again :mad:) Also I have 3 separate TV's programmed in this app. If I get the update prompt and choose one of the three TV's to start the update on what will happen when it finishes with that TV? Will it know there are also two other TV sets/locations to be updated? Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated. Thanks :)

shadow536

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't know anything about this update. I do know that your best bet to trigger the prompt is most likely a restart. That way, the TV app won't be in the memory and will have to go through its startup process when you launch it.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I successfully downloaded Android 4.3 on my Sprint HTC One. About 24-hrs after the download I had a notification for the TV remote app prompting me to update the TV/Cable boxes I have programmed in the app. The first time I just didn't have the time to complete the update and if I remember correctly I chose something to the effect of "remind me later." Well this morning I received the same notification as I was heading out the door so again, I did not have time to do the update. Now I am home and have plenty of time on my hands and I want to do this update for the TV remote app but don't know how to get the phone to do what the notification was prompting me to do. Simply launching the TV remote app doesn't automatically start the update process because last night after I had already chose to do the update at a later date I used the remote app while I was watching TV. It worked fine but never prompted me to start the update and then this morning I received the notification again on my way out the door so that was the second missed opportunity to complete this. I believe it has something to do w/ updating the channels in the app's data base for your service provider which is something I would like to do.

I was wondering if there is a way to manually launch the update process or do I simply have to wait until it prompts me again w/ a notification (which unfortunately will probably be at a time when I am either not home or heading out the door again :mad:) Also I have 3 separate TV's programmed in this app. If I get the update prompt and choose one of the three TV's to start the update on what will happen when it finishes with that TV? Will it know there are also two other TV sets/locations to be updated? Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated. Thanks :)

I had been having the same issue but this morning I was able to update my channels and the app has improved 3 fold since 4.3.

Posted via Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Go into settings---->apps---->find the TV app and clear data and cache. Yes you will most likely lose all the setups and have to do it again but for me, it only took a few minutes.

phil778

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I got this too, but I don't think it is an actual app update. The app is notifying you that it WAS updated and that in your area there are new cable/TV providers (to get guide information from). I guess in case you had the app before and it didn't support your provider, now it might. So it is just letting you know that you can choose from new providers for guide information.

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I had been having the same issue but this morning I was able to update my channels and the app has improved 3 fold since 4.3.

Actually. I am noticing that every morning (now 3-4 days in a row) I have the update icon in the notification bar so tomorrow morning I am either going to get up earlier so I can complete the update or leave the icon in the notification bar until I am ready, instead of clearing it out. BTW simply restarting the phone did not make the update icon reappear when the phone rebooted.

@Gator352 thanks for the instructions but I would prefer not to have to go through the setups again if I don't have to. If I wake up tomorrow morning and and phone is not prompting me to update the app then I will do what you said.

Question for @CHILLYWILL_95831 - how many TV setups do you have programmed in the app if you don't mind me asking? The reason being is I have 3 and I was curious to know how the update process proceeds if you have multiple setups. For example lets say tomorrow morning I wake up and my phone is prompting me to update the TV app and I choose to update the living room first. Once the update is finished in that room I will still have 2 more to go but I am wondering how that process will continue.

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Sure enough the update prompt was in the notification bar the following morning and I went ahead and chose to proceed with updating the Living Room set up. I am not sure exactly what this update did, however as I suspected when it was finished with the Living Room it did not prompt me to continue with the other 2 set ups I have programmed in the remote app so what I did was follow @Gator352's instructions, deleted all the set ups and then re-entered all of them. It only took about 5-mins and the next morning the update was not in the notification bar.

buzzard

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to get I of the stupid YouTube/Facebook integration in the remote app? I don't care what videos my Facebook friends watched on YouTube - I just want to change the channel or see my guide. This was not there before the 4.3 update and it is really annoying.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually. I am noticing that every morning (now 3-4 days in a row) I have the update icon in the notification bar so tomorrow morning I am either going to get up earlier so I can complete the update or leave the icon in the notification bar until I am ready, instead of clearing it out. BTW simply restarting the phone did not make the update icon reappear when the phone rebooted.

@Gator352 thanks for the instructions but I would prefer not to have to go through the setups again if I don't have to. If I wake up tomorrow morning and and phone is not prompting me to update the app then I will do what you said.

Question for @CHILLYWILL_95831 - how many TV setups do you have programmed in the app if you don't mind me asking? The reason being is I have 3 and I was curious to know how the update process proceeds if you have multiple setups. For example lets say tomorrow morning I wake up and my phone is prompting me to update the TV app and I choose to update the living room first. Once the update is finished in that room I will still have 2 more to go but I am wondering how that process will continue.

Sorry it took me so long to reply... I have 3 TV's set up, but only 2 cable providers. I have updated both, but I still get update requests from the TV remote app. As the notifications become useless, I believe I am going to disable the remote app's ability to notify me. But, right now, it seems to be adding new channels and programming... I hope I answered your question.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae