HTC One 4.3 battery bug and other annoyances

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
My battery goes from 100% to 93% in literally 3 minutes while I'm doing absolutely nothing, before it would last me a good 7 hours idling like that. This is new to me as my battery was phenomenal in 4.1.2 (missing you) and all of a sudden this crap is coming out of nowhere.

Also, some annoyances I will list:
- Blinkfeed now shows up in my recent apps (double clicking the home button opens up recent apps), does it do this with anyone else when they open an article in blinkfeed?
- Sometimes double clicking the home button will bring up the menu instead, then I have to sit there and smash the home button 400 times before it goes to recent apps (happens in blinkfeed a lot)

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I also cleared the system cache before. Just checked again and it went from 100% to 94% in less than one hour, NO other apps running, just letting the system idle and sleep. The home button is also less capacitive and is sometimes refusing to respond to my double taps and even single taps. Clearly HTC quality control is not great. To think I've been advocating this phone and was hoping for better from this 4.3 update not worse.

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I also cleared the system cache before. Just checked again and it went from 100% to 94% in less than one hour, NO other apps running, just letting the system idle and sleep. The home button is also less capacitive and is sometimes refusing to respond to my double taps and even single taps. Clearly HTC quality control is not great. To think I've been advocating this phone and was hoping for better from this 4.3 update not worse.

Try checking out the many battery saving/battery troubleshooting threads on here and over at xda. Its better to try what they have mentioned before posting a thread about something that's been mentioned a million times. The search function is your friend.

K White1

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Off subject, but I noticed, after updating to 4.3, my cache doesn't clear completely. For example, clearing the cache would show "0" previously, but now clearing an app leaves 12.00 KB remaining in the cache, (and the You Tube app shows an even higher amount of storage taken after clearing). Is anyone else experiencing similar?

Posted via Android Central App, HTC One

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Try checking out the many battery saving/battery troubleshooting threads on here and over at xda. Its better to try what they have mentioned before posting a thread about something that's been mentioned a million times. The search function is your friend.
What's funny is, after threatening to root my phone and put on a custom ROM from xda, a couple of restarts later my phone actually fixed itself from pretty much all those bugs I mentioned before. Also, I always do my research before posting threads, don't be quick to assume.

I'm going to let it cycle a few times before I make a decision of rooting this phone. The battery life could use some improvement and if the Nexus 5 is as good as people say it will be than I will go ahead and sell this phone for that phone. I love my One I just don't/didn't appreciate what 4.3 was doing to it.

Petero1818

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
So I don't know if this is of use to any of you but I had the same problem and none of the above fixes worked. I received a message from another reader on the HTC Canada website, and it did the trick.
Go to wifi settings and choose advanced and go to the "keep wifi on during sleep" and select never. This has fixed my battery problem and I can now get through a day again as I was able before. In fact, my phone has been on from 7:30 Am to 5:00 PM and is still at 74%. Last week it would have been at 40% or lower.

Ruester77

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Dave, many of us have tried just what you're suggesting, BUT that isn't working - there is something going on in Jellybean 4.3 that didn't happen in 4.2 and that's what many of these complaints are about!

Does anyone with knowledge of 4.3 (probably relating to other devices as well, but HTC One in particular) know why there is a drastic increase in Battery Drain caused by or related to the "System Idle" process?

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
My battery goes from 100% to 93% in literally 3 minutes while I'm doing absolutely nothing, before it would last me a good 7 hours idling like that. This is new to me as my battery was phenomenal in 4.1.2 (missing you) and all of a sudden this crap is coming out of nowhere.

Also, some annoyances I will list:
- Blinkfeed now shows up in my recent apps (double clicking the home button opens up recent apps), does it do this with anyone else when they open an article in blinkfeed?
- Sometimes double clicking the home button will bring up the menu instead, then I have to sit there and smash the home button 400 times before it goes to recent apps (happens in blinkfeed a lot)

When I first updated to 4.3 on Monday. My battery did drain fast. So I backed up my phone with HTC backup. Then I did a factory reset. Then I did a restore with HTC back up.
I pulled my phone off the charger about 7:45 this morning. With light use and a 20 minute phone call my battery still looks full at 5pm. Right now.
Wow!
battery life is awesome for me so far. Much better than when I was on android 4.1.2. I would suggest backing up you htc one and doing a factory reset.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382497209301.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382497209301.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 128

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
The 100% to 93% is not a drain issue. It's a calibration issue.
I've seen it happen after 4.3 and my conclusion is that the phone is not really charged to 100% despite the green light and the 100% indicator.
I base this on my experience, as if I leave the phone charging for another hour for example after it supposedly reaches 100% then I don't see it going to 93% in a matter of minutes.
There are some tricks that I haven't tried. People say that you should delete a small file called batterystats or something and then charge to 100% let it go to 0% and it will be OK. I haven't tested it, so I can't comment. If anyone has done it, please do tell.
But I'm almost positive that the issue is because of the change between fast charge that happened and is purely a calibration problem.

Chis Jewell

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I updated yesterday to 4.3, charged the phone to 100%, unplugged it and slept for 7 hours. My phone was at 94% after 7 hours of stand by with the wifi on the whole time.
Everything seems fine for me................... so far :)

santhon2

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Mine is doing good now, turned Google services and maps back on. I don't know if it just needed to recalibrate or something. 1382911172065.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
So I have had my (red) Sprint HTC One for about 3 days, and it has issues, similar to the above (and maybe other threads) so this is mostly for the "yea I have them too, it's not just your phone" post. It is stock (not rooted) and I upgraded immediately when I got it, to 4.3. Right after that upgrade, I decided to do a factory reset on the phone for the "just in case...start fresh" factor. Hard to tell if I had these issues before as I didn't use it very long before I upgraded to 4.3. They are as follows:

1. Notification that there is available WiFi where I am (when I am not already on WiFi), even though I have all the settings of notification (or checking for that matter) checked OFF.
2. Missing profile pictures for people in the HTC stock text messaging app. This is intermittent, not sure what triggers it, but if I delete the text app from multitasking and then reopen, that often brings the pictures back.
3. WiFi and Mobile Data signal intermittently failing and/or not getting very good throughput. It was better on my Evo4GLTE...that's unacceptable. And no, for the WiFi it's NOT my router or ISP.
4. Keyboard intermittently switching back to the stock HTC keyboard, even though I chose everything to use Swiftkey. I have had to re-choose this often, and sometimes it remembers, other times not so much. And then even more annoying and strange, when the HTC keyboard does come up (even though I had previously chosen Swiftkey as the default keyboard), the HTC keyboard starts in voice mode...not even sure why it would or could do that since I'm not pressing the voice key, and there is no setting to make it do so or not.
5. MASSIVE battery drain. I have checked what is syncing, and it's not much and not often enough for this amount of drain. I know there is the "new user" battery drain, this is not it I can assure you. All the normal things are working as usual, I check and double-check all the apps I have, most of them are only on manual or infrequent syncing (if at all), PLUS I did not have any problems on my old phone (Evo4GLTE) with any apps draining the battery quickly or with any of the settings which are almost identical on my "One". In fact the battery on my old phone (stock, unrooted) would last me 16-20 hours on a moderate/heavy use day. This new "One" should be better, but in fact if I let this phone go without charging and only very little use (few texts, few mins on internet etc) it would probably last 3-4 hours at best. THAT is a very big issue.

Please let us all know if there are any bonafide solutions to any of these. I don't want "turn off all mobile data or any syncing" because you know...we shouldn't have to. That's not a solution, that's a band aid or a crutch, and I won't do it. And I don't need "battery saving ideas" because I've used Android for about 4 years now, and I'm doing all the battery saving I care to (unless there is some brand new and unobtrusive thing that would help that doesn't turn off all services or severely decrease functionality).

Any help will be MUCHLY appreciated. Thanks.

Sinan Qasha

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Having the same problem, tried contacting htc support and they instructed me to do a variety of things including wiping the cash or trying to calibrate the battery by holding both vol up and down with power for 2 min. I also tried a variety of calibration apps that does not require root (mine is not rooted) and finally i did wipe the phone and restored it. After doing all that I still have the same problem and htc support have no clue.

The only way to get a full charge is to turn the phone off and charge it.

Anyone have any suggestions? please share

laja91

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting mine replced because of a similar issue. My One has a weird drainage around 10%. It'll last about 2 minutes until it suddenly drops down to 3%. Once at 3% it gives me about 20 seconds until it dies out...

Posted via Android Central App

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've just installed 4.3 yesterday and today was my first full day using it as normal. It's 1530 and I still have 75% left. Again I'm using it as I would normally through the day with texting, twitter, here one call and a few texts. I'm impressed with the HTC battery all together. Best phone ever for battery life imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze