HTC One or Xperia Z1

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
now this is kind of controversial, because both have great build quality, but even thought people may be more biased towards the HTC One here, I would like to know why should I pick it over the Z1, the things I look in a phone is performance, battery, good camera, display quality, sound quality, I watch videos every now and then. are there any bugs present on the one? theZ1 had one on randomly shutting down, but it doesnt seem to be affecting all the units.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
now this is kind of controversial, because both have great build quality, but even thought people may be more biased towards the HTC One here, I would like to know why should I pick it over the Z1, the things I look in a phone is performance, battery, good camera, display quality, sound quality, I watch videos every now and then. are there any bugs present on the one? theZ1 had one on randomly shutting down, but it doesnt seem to be affecting all the units.

By all counts (based on reading, not hands-on) the Z1 has it beat or tied in the first four things you listed. Plus it has built-in water resistance.

The One will have it beat soundly in the sound quality department.

There's nothing wrong with the One (I still love it), but there's also no denying that there are phones out now that beat or meet it in the areas that it shows it's strengths in (camera, display, performance, battery life).

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

there is no good reason why you should pick the htc one over the z1 unless the sound system is important to you.

the z1 is newer and as a result has a more powerful and faster processor. does it really matter? no, unless you care about benchmarks because they both perform great. display wise i read there is some distortion on the z1 screen when viewing from an angle but who actually gives a crap about colour saturation or what not when not staring at the phone directly? otherwise both phones have some very good screen resolution.

the z1 camara has 21MP or something which is stupidly high. if you want really big images then that is your choice. if you want better image quality in dark environments and something you can actually send over email or post on the web from your phone then perhaps the htc one is for you (personally, i have found the photo quality of the htc one very good, despite the mixed reviews or the whining of some people). keep in mind, that many appear to be having some purple tint problem on their htc one's camera.

battery? meh, its all the same. theoretically, the z1 battery should be better, though.

sound quality - nothing beats the htc one.

imo you really can't go wrong with either choice at this point.

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
there is no good reason why you should pick the htc one over the z1 unless the sound system is important to you.

the z1 is newer and as a result has a more powerful and faster processor. does it really matter? no, unless you care about benchmarks because they both perform great. display wise i read there is some distortion on the z1 screen when viewing from an angle but who actually gives a crap about colour saturation or what not when not staring at the phone directly? otherwise both phones have some very good screen resolution.

the z1 camara has 21MP or something which is stupidly high. if you want really big images then that is your choice. if you want better image quality in dark environments and something you can actually send over email or post on the web from your phone then perhaps the htc one is for you (personally, i have found the photo quality of the htc one very good, despite the mixed reviews or the whining of some people). keep in mind, that many appear to be having some purple tint problem on their htc one's camera.

battery? meh, its all the same. theoretically, the z1 battery should be better, though.

sound quality - nothing beats the htc one.

imo you really can't go wrong with either choice at this point.

well this is still making it a hard decision I really enjoy sound, heck I watch youtube, netflix, CBS Interactive, and crunchyroll at times, display 1080p is a must, performance as long as no apps crash or anything like that I would be ok, now comes the battery my question is on the HTC One how much on screen time you can get before having to recharge, mind you with 5 hours on screen on the 5S I was getting from 100- 16% of browsing only, so I need something that will last me longer if possible, let me know your experience. O yeah also read somewhere the browser supports adobe flash, thats interesting.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
well this is still making it a hard decision I really enjoy sound, heck I watch youtube, netflix, CBS Interactive, and crunchyroll at times, display 1080p is a must, performance as long as no apps crash or anything like that I would be ok, now comes the battery my question is on the HTC One how much on screen time you can get before having to recharge, mind you with 5 hours on screen on the 5S I was getting from 100- 16% of browsing only, so I need something that will last me longer if possible, let me know your experience. O yeah also read somewhere the browser supports adobe flash, thats interesting.

i have found the htc one battery duration to be acceptable, but i am not a power user. i use it daily to send a reasonable amount of mms, browse news pages, listen to music whilst on the move and the occasional phone call. i can't say i am particularly impressed with the battery but, to me, its a non-issue. i charge my phone once a day. i understand, however, that the battery is NOT htc one's strongest suit. i cant comment on the xperia z1 because i havent used it.

and yes, the stock browser app supports flash.

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I own a HTC One and i am currently considering selling to get the Z1. This is a fantastic phone and I found the battery life to be great (better than the s4 I had before) but everyones usage is different. Main let down for me with the One is the camera. Its woeful, and I cant understand why HTC would put so much effort into one of the best android phones ever made then take such a gamble with a camera that is blatantly flawed from the word go. Honestly, in my opinion go for the Z1 if having a good camera is high on your priority list

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
"there is no good reason why you should pick the htc one over the z1 unless the sound system is important to you..."

"display wise i read there is some distortion on the z1 screen when viewing from an angle but who actually gives a crap about colour saturation or what not when not staring at the phone directly? otherwise both phones have some very good screen resolution..."

"imo you really can't go wrong with either choice at this point..."

I agree with your first and last statement, however your second statement, while I don't disagree I would like to add that you can see the screen on the One very well outside and during the day. I would check the reviews on YouTube for more information on the Z1's outdoor visibility, if that's something that is important to you.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have both, the Z1 is the better of the two in most aspects which can be expected from a newer release. The One has better loudspeakers, and a little easier to hold as well. Visibility outdoors is just fine. Frankly the whole angle display thing is blown out of proportion by reviews that tend to parrot what other reviews nitpick when there's nothing else to write about. For whatever it's worth, I find the Z1 more pleasing to use than my One now. You won't really get much feedback about it on USA sites though because it's not sold there

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Z1 all the way, what about the G2?

the Z and the Z1 have to make concessions in order to support their "waterproof" technology.

some people might not be too happy about them, especially if they aren't planning to take the phone anywhere near the bathtub.

i for one hate movable compartment doors. these devices have them.

the sound output is probably the worst in the high-end smartphone line-up, and its one of the heaviest phones for its size (if not the heaviest).

the camera is said to be quite nice, so is the design. if an SD slot is important to you, then this is also a plus.

the rest is just specs that are pretty much irrelevant in the day-to-day operation of a phone. unless you are concerned about how much you score in benchmarks you will not perceive the difference between the Z1 performance over the HTC ONE.

so no, it is not "Z1 all the way".

to each his own, and the ONE does have certain advantages over the Z1.

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Seriously dude you have a real attitude problem, noticeable in many of your posts. My comment was my own opinion as is your comment yours.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Seriously dude you have a real attitude problem, noticeable in many of your posts. My comment was my own opinion as is your comment yours.

your opinions are expressed usually as "matter of fact". it doesn't help that you don't elaborate on it.

at least my post contains information some might find valuable - and i am not taking a position on one over the other.

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
your opinions are expressed usually as "matter of fact". it doesn't help that you don't elaborate on it.

at least my post contains information some might find valuable - and i am not taking a position on one over the other.

Again that's your opinion, anyway back on topic.

iamescee

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
This has been bugging me for days. I need a phone ASAP, but I can't buy since I'm torn between the HTC One or Z1 also the Note 3.. Ugh. Very tough decision to make. The camera is on top of the features most important to me as I constantly take pictures of my kids and food..

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. I suggest that the participants here take the time to review the forum rules. If you don't care for a post or the thread, then just move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, you can report the post to the moderator team. Complaining about another post in the thread is not an appropriate response.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

hegalong

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I like the color processing in htc one compared to my previous L920. If I want a good quality picture, I'll definitely bring my dslr.

I dont like the "feel" of the glass from xperia z...

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
This has been bugging me for days. I need a phone ASAP, but I can't buy since I'm torn between the HTC One or Z1 also the Note 3.. Ugh. Very tough decision to make. The camera is on top of the features most important to me as I constantly take pictures of my kids and food..

I also own the note 3 but still prefer the Z1 just because Samsung's design gingerbread elements in the core apps drive me nuts. The stylus apps on it are very good though

lEssence

May 8, 2013
Visit site
My sister has the z1. I have the HTC one.
HTCs screen seems more brighter and cleaner
I think Scene 5 is better then whatever the Z1 is running .

Also the z1s pictures didn't really look high quality as I expected.
It might be a defected unit but I don't know.

The Z1 does have a good battery thou,
Bigger screen, thats a win or lose for some.
It's a good phone but I prefer the ONE

Posted via Android Central App