HTC One work wifi question

maidmarcia

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I am having some issues with my phone and my work wifi. I know that people have complained that they are having wifi problems with their phones post 4.3 update, but I don't think is the case for me.

My phone works fine when connected to my home wifi which is why I think it's a network specific issue.

So when I'm at work, I connect to my work wifi. It's not secured with WPA or WEP.

Then usually the next step is that I type in Google on my browser and the browser redirects me to the log in site where I enter a user name and password. Everyone uses the same user name and password. After one logs in, the browser works fine.

The issue I'm having is that my browser isn't connecting to that log in site. When I type in Google, it just errors and and says "this web page is not available". It won't redirect me to the log in page.

I know this is a phone specific problem because I just tested my boyfriend's phone and it logged in fine. Because I work 12 hour shifts, I need to be able to access the wifi in order to avoid eating up all my data.

Is there a setting or something I should be checking?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just clicked on Google again and it finally redirected me to the log in page, but when I tried to log in, it says
"We are sorry.
An error has occurred.
Rejected.
Try Again"

WTF.

maidmarcia

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Huh, I think I answered my own question.

If I try to log in using Chrome, it doesn't work.

If I use the Internet app, it DOES work.

That's so strange. Can anyone explain this phenomena?

EDIT: I spoke too soon. It's not working again and won't let me log in through the Internet OR Chrome. Gah.

Last edited:

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah i was just gonna say it's time to try a couple of browsers. Your work uses a captive web portal. Chrome for me actually Stinks. I use the Internet one but UC Browser actually works better for me for such things. Depends on the WiFi though too so no one size fits all...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

maidmarcia

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah i was just gonna say it's time to try a couple of browsers. Your work uses a captive web portal. Chrome for me actually Stinks. I use the Internet one but UC Browser actually works better for me for such things. Depends on the WiFi though too so no one size fits all...

So it's possible that Chrome is booting me out of the connection?

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Depending on how intelligent the captive web portal is, and it's compatibility with mobile devices versus true Web browsers, the error can stem from that. It's also possible it is from the phone as well but usually less likely. The browser normally understands how to perform the redirection but with all the different browsers for Android and so on, it can be problematic. Just like an iPhone... Some sites require safari, like doing custom profile installs for mobile device management. That's why I would try a few browsers and see what happens. Some handle the redirects better. Just ensure you set a different one as the default if necessary so the proper one is used instead of the system using the wrong browser on accident.

maidmarcia

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Depending on how intelligent the captive web portal is, and it's compatibility with mobile devices versus true Web browsers, the error can stem from that. It's also possible it is from the phone as well but usually less likely. The browser normally understands how to perform the redirection but with all the different browsers for Android and so on, it can be problematic. Just like an iPhone... Some sites require safari, like doing custom profile installs for mobile device management. That's why I would try a few browsers and see what happens. Some handle the redirects better. Just ensure you set a different one as the default if necessary so the proper one is used instead of the system using the wrong browser on accident.

Thanks for this info. How do I set a default browser?
Also, I just tried accessing it through the stock Internet app and it didn't work. I don't understand why it's not working on the regular Internet browser either. Or, rather, that it's working on and off.
I know it's not a general wifi problem because it works fine on my home wifi.
Ah, so frustrating.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
You can go in to the new browser settings and state that you want it set as the default. Remember that if you aren't working on a captive web portal at home the experience is different. You have to make sure the authentication completes successfully on the Web portal at your work before other things are going to be successful, like Web browsing and mail, etc.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
For example, UC Browser, preferences, settings...
tupujajy.jpg