Htc One and iPhoto on Mac?

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Before the 4.3 update i was able to connect my One to my Mac, open up iPhoto an it would ask if i wanted to import the pics or videos, pretty much like with my 4S. Now when i connect an open iPhoto, nothing happens. Is there a setting that was added in 4.3 or did they remove the ability to import pics/vids into iPhoto when plugged in?

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Before the 4.3 update i was able to connect my One to my Mac, open up iPhoto an it would ask if i wanted to import the pics or videos, pretty much like with my 4S. Now when i connect an open iPhoto, nothing happens. Is there a setting that was added in 4.3 or did they remove the ability to import pics/vids into iPhoto when plugged in?
You were? AFAIK you're the only person on the planet that has had that experience. The HTC One uses a file format that OS X doesn't read so iPhoto can't recognize the drive if the OS can't mount the device. Have you done anything special to get OS X to recognize the device?

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
You were? AFAIK you're the only person on the planet that has had that experience. The HTC One uses a file format that OS X doesn't read so iPhoto can't recognize the drive if the OS can't mount the device. Have you done anything special to get OS X to recognize the device?

Yeah when i was on 4.1.2, iPhoto would recognize the One when it was connected through USB. I remember importing purple tinted pictures into iPhoto. But as soon as i updated to 4.3 i lost that function so nothing happens with iPhoto anymore. I dont recall doing anything special to OS X.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah when i was on 4.1.2, iPhoto would recognize the One when it was connected through USB. I remember importing purple tinted pictures into iPhoto. But as soon as i updated to 4.3 i lost that function so nothing happens with iPhoto anymore. I dont recall doing anything special to OS X.
I would love to know how you accomplished this as no one else in the world has gotten this to work. Would the One mount as a USB device? Could you access the storage from the finder?

If I could get this to work I'd be super happy.

He3

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I've never seen it mount, but you can use Sync Manager to import photos, vids, Zoe's etc into iPhoto. In settings under gallery there's a check box asking if you want to open iPhoto when the phone's plugged in, (or something similar). Or just do it manually by pressing the sync button at the bottom.

Posted via Android Central App

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I've never seen it mount, but you can use Sync Manager to import photos, vids, Zoe's etc into iPhoto. In settings under gallery there's a check box asking if you want to open iPhoto when the phone's plugged in, (or something similar). Or just do it manually by pressing the sync button at the bottom.

Ahhh, Ok so you're using the HTC Sync Manager?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Ahhh, Ok so you're using the HTC Sync Manager?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I dont an havent ever used htc sync manager. I just plugged into the usb with the cable an the sync manager showed in the finder so i ejected it. But as far as seeing the storage of the phone in finder,nothing ever showed. It only let me import pictures and videos into iPhoto when iPhoto was already open. Im not sure why or how it worked but it did back on 4.1.2 an dissapeared when i updated to 4.3, its weird!

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I dont an havent ever used htc sync manager. I just plugged into the usb with the cable an the sync manager showed in the finder so i ejected it. But as far as seeing the storage of the phone in finder,nothing ever showed. It only let me import pictures and videos into iPhoto when iPhoto was already open. Im not sure why or how it worked but it did back on 4.1.2 an dissapeared when i updated to 4.3, its weird!
What's strange is that it ever worked. Man I wish I could get that to work, that would eliminate a serious pain point for me with this device.

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the best thing to do is not use Apples very proprietary software and use something that works with everything. Like windows or Ubuntu or chrome OS. There is no reason the HTC One shouldn't work with Apple's software other than Apple doesn't want it to and they decided you don't need it to. Or you could put windows on your Mac so its actually compatible with everything. Since you already spent a ridiculous amount of money for your Mac.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I think the best thing to do is not use Apples very proprietary software and use something that works with everything.
I'd rather use intuitive, awesome software that works how I expect software to work. Apple fits that bill for me.

Like windows or Ubuntu or chrome OS.
I use Ubuntu and Windows almost daily as well. Windows is still a crappy OS comparatively, but Ubuntu is getting nicely polished. I still can't use it as my every day OS, but I'm gonna keep trying.

There is no reason the HTC One shouldn't work with Apple's software
Correct, if HTC had decided to use a more standard file system there wouldn't be any issues at all. Many other android devices mount just fine. Why HTC decided to use this file system is a mystery to me. There must be some advantage, I'm just not sure what it is.

Since you already spent a ridiculous amount of money for your Mac.
Ohhhh, you're just an Apple hater. I get it now.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather use intuitive, awesome software that works how I expect software to work. Apple fits that bill for me.

I use Ubuntu and Windows almost daily as well. Windows is still a crappy OS comparatively, but Ubuntu is getting nicely polished. I still can't use it as my every day OS, but I'm gonna keep trying.

Correct, if HTC had decided to use a more standard file system there wouldn't be any issues at all. Many other android devices mount just fine. Why HTC decided to use this file system is a mystery to me. There must be some advantage, I'm just not sure what it is.

Ohhhh, you're just an Apple hater. I get it now.

And you're just a Windows hater. When you say Windows O/S is crappy compared to OSX, is that because it kills the battery life on your Air when you boot into Windows? Lol.

anon(8215685)

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
After reading through this thread I decided to connect my HTC One to my MacBook Pro to see what would happen. (I downloaded and installed HTC Sync Manager on my MacBook last week.) Sync Manager opened. I went to "Transfer & Backup" and did a manual backup (didn't select "Also backup media content on my phone") Then went to "Settings", Under "Sync Settings" I selected people, and then down at the bottom clicked on, what I assume, is a sync button (a circle consisting of 2 arrows). iPhoto opened with the seven (saved) photos from my phone. I haven't messed around with the phone's camera very much and don't remember if any of these are Zoe pics. (I assume none are Zoe as they are all .jpg files.) It doesn't make sense to me that iPhoto opened and/or that the pics were pulled off of the phone since I hadn't opted to backup media and also backed up people. I'm currently running 4.2.2

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
And you're just a Windows hater. When you say Windows O/S is crappy compared to OSX, is that because it kills the battery life on your Air when you boot into Windows? Lol.

I'm not a windows hater, it just isn't a good OS for my uses. Some may love it and that's fine, I don't care what other people use.

I don't have an air, my wife does and we don't have windows partitions on any of our OS X machines. That's what our Dell laptops are for. Those machines run Win 7 just fine.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
After reading through this thread I decided to connect my HTC One to my MacBook Pro to see what would happen. (I downloaded and installed HTC Sync Manager on my MacBook last week.) Sync Manager opened. I went to "Transfer & Backup" and did a manual backup (didn't select "Also backup media content on my phone") Then went to "Settings", Under "Sync Settings" I selected people, and then down at the bottom clicked on, what I assume, is a sync button (a circle consisting of 2 arrows). iPhoto opened with the seven (saved) photos from my phone. I haven't messed around with the phone's camera very much and don't remember if any of these are Zoe pics. (I assume none are Zoe as they are all .jpg files.) It doesn't make sense to me that iPhoto opened and/or that the pics were pulled off of the phone since I hadn't opted to backup media and also backed up people. I'm currently running 4.2.2
I'm going to have to install the HTC sync software again and give this a try. I uninstalled it almost immediately after I first used it because it was such garbage.

Thanks for testing this out.

anon(8215685)

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to have to install the HTC sync software again and give this a try. I uninstalled it almost immediately after I first used it because it was such garbage.

Thanks for testing this out.

You're welcome. This is my first smartphone, and only my second cellphone, so I'm in learning/testing mode. (My last phone was an LG Accolade VX5600: Compact Flip Phone | LG USA, so this is a bit of a transition.) IMO the HTC sync software could use some work, mainly the user interface/ease of use, so it may still be garbage. If there was another option I'd probably ditch HTC sync quickly. Hope it works out for you and proves useful/beneficial.

He3

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, Sync Manager works but, it isn't anywhere near perfect.

I thought this thread was about getting your photos on to iPhoto?

If you're naive enough to think that one OS suits all, you're a ******* moron.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Is there a syncing application for Mac that will allow me to drag an drop files to iPhoto or more then likely i have to drag them onto my desktop then drop them into iPhoto say if i were to use Android File Transfer? Looking for less steps to get the photos into iPhoto.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Is there a syncing application for Mac that will allow me to drag an drop files to iPhoto or more then likely i have to drag them onto my desktop then drop them into iPhoto say if i were to use Android File Transfer? Looking for less steps to get the photos into iPhoto.

Android file transfer > Mac OS file system > iPhoto. That's as easy as it gets at this point.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Android file transfer > Mac OS file system > iPhoto. That's as easy as it gets at this point.

Bummer! Well i guess its my only option unfortunately. Quick question on it, when i go into 'DCIM/100MEDIA' where all the pics are stored at,is there a way to view the pics in the list before dragging to the desktop? Also i looked for my music an ringtones an nothing shows in none of the folders,whys that?

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Bummer! Well i guess its my only option unfortunately. Quick question on it, when i go into 'DCIM/100MEDIA' where all the pics are stored at,is there a way to view the pics in the list before dragging to the desktop?
Nope.

Also i looked for my music an ringtones an nothing shows in none of the folders,whys that?
Not sure where the stock ones are stored. I think you can usually download them from the play store though.