What will 4.4 be like on android with sense 5.5?

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So on the nexus, if you swipe to the right you get the google now screen which I really like. However, if you swipe to the right on an HTC it gives you blinkfeed, which I don't like. With 4.4 overwrite this and allow us to have google now as a homescreen?

Also, I have heard 4.4 is supposed to come to U.S HTC One's within 30 days, but I am also hearing 90 days. Which is true?

Thanks!

mysidx

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I read 90 days, but I doubt it will be that easy. I'm thinking more like 180 days before we actually get it to our phones.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

badams1

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you when we do receive 4.4 it will also come with Sense 5.5 which has the ability to make BlinkFeed go away completely if you so choose. Not sure whether the similar feature in stock 4.4 will carry over as an option tho...

Posted via Android Central App

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
So on the nexus, if you swipe to the right you get the google now screen which I really like. However, if you swipe to the right on an HTC it gives you blinkfeed, which I don't like. With 4.4 overwrite this and allow us to have google now as a homescreen?

Also, I have heard 4.4 is supposed to come to U.S HTC One's within 30 days, but I am also hearing 90 days. Which is true?

Thanks!

It's 15 days for the ONE GPE, 30 days for the developer edition and the US unlocked versions and 90 days for all others (carrier devices)

Sent from my Moto X

MoudyFahs

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!

30 days for HTC ONE [Google Edition] 60 days for all unlocked or branded phones.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site

A launcher is just a shell, or an app that responds to the Home button.

Android 4.4 on the Nexus introduces the Google Experience Launcher or whatever they called it in the end, that was the rumored name anyway. This is the launcher app which includes the Google now pane.

With HTC Sense 5 and 5.5, the launcher is written by HTC and called Prism (leading to one or two funny threads about people worried about this "NSA Prism" thing found on their phone). This application is the one that includes Blinkfeed on the leftmost pane.

So, when HTC updates the One to Android 4.4 and Sense 5.5, what will happen with the new KitKat google now pane?

Nothing.

Blinkfeed will still be there, because it's part of the Prism launcher, while the Google Now pane is part of the Google Launcher.

HOWEVER since the Google Launcher has been confirmed as becoming a part of the Google Search application, it may very well be easy to change your launcher app to the Google launcher instead of using HTC's own launcher, enabling you to get something that's closer to the stock Google experience - losing the ability to use blinkfeed and the HTC widgets in the process, though...

In fact you won't have to wait for 4.4, as APKs are already available that you can download and install on your phone to get the new google search and launcher. These will make their way in the Play Store eventually...

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
30 days for HTC ONE [Google Edition] 60 days for all unlocked or branded phones.

News article on this very site said: 15 days for Google Play Edition, 30 days for dev/unlocked phones, 90 days for carrier-branded phones (all that is about the USA versions, no word as far as I know about the international Ones).

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
A launcher is just a shell, or an app that responds to the Home button.

Android 4.4 on the Nexus introduces the Google Experience Launcher or whatever they called it in the end, that was the rumored name anyway. This is the launcher app which includes the Google now pane.

With HTC Sense 5 and 5.5, the launcher is written by HTC and called Prism (leading to one or two funny threads about people worried about this "NSA Prism" thing found on their phone). This application is the one that includes Blinkfeed on the leftmost pane.

So, when HTC updates the One to Android 4.4 and Sense 5.5, what will happen with the new KitKat google now pane?

Nothing.

Blinkfeed will still be there, because it's part of the Prism launcher, while the Google Now pane is part of the Google Launcher.

HOWEVER since the Google Launcher has been confirmed as becoming a part of the Google Search application, it may very well be easy to change your launcher app to the Google launcher instead of using HTC's own launcher, enabling you to get something that's closer to the stock Google experience - losing the ability to use blinkfeed and the HTC widgets in the process, though...

In fact you won't have to wait for 4.4, as APKs are already available that you can download and install on your phone to get the new google search and launcher. These will make their way in the Play Store eventually...

Great info, thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair