Camera issues quick tip

Ninjatogo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I got an HTC One not too long ago, and I'm in love with almost everything about it. However, like many others, my camera shows purple/red spots when shooting in low light. I thought the best and only way to fix this was to switch the ISO down to 100, but this morning I found something interesting that I have seen only a few times before.

Last night the temperature dropped to about 3 degrees C, and my phone temp dropped to about 16. In the morning I took a quick photo in my very dark room and the photo came out clean, no spots at all and the ISO was set to auto. To test this further I took the phone into the darkest area of my room, under my bed. Once again, clean shots no spots.

I took my phone to a warmer environment where the phone temp sensor was giving readings of 30 C, and the noise started appearing again although very slowly.

I have seen this before but I didn't do enough testing to determine what type of temps will produce noisy images.
From my quick tests phone temps 28 C and above is when the color noise will appear in the images. I would recommend avoiding CPU intensive apps right before photos if you plan on taking low light photos, or give your phone a couple minutes to cool down first, if you can.

I know it's not much, but I thought it was an interesting find that I could share :p