This is my first ever smartphone, and I'm not so smart about it yet. I've had it for about a week.

I would like to use Google Calendar, and I would like to be reminded of events I create in it. Google Calendar does this by sending time-sensitive email notifications, which I can customize (e.g., I can have 3-week, 2-week, and 1-day reminders for one event, unlike the reminder system on my HTC One Calendar, which uses a single default setting across events, e.g., "15 minutes". I would like to use different notification settings for different kinds of events).

Is it true that in order for me to receive these email notifications at the times I want them, my Gmail account has to be set to auto-sync? Which means that it is constantly syncing, whether I am on a wifi or data connection? In Settings, I do not see an option to just have my Gmail auto-synced; my options are "Google" or "Mail" (and I have two other email accounts set up; I do not need all of them to be auto-synced).

I have to use a data connection for ~3 hours a day. What would having auto-sync for either Google or Mail do to my data usage with my carrier?

If I set it to 'Smart-sync during peak periods', does that mean my notifications would only come when it synced, instead of when I have directed them to be sent? It would be useless to me to get an email reminder 2 hours after I needed it, just when the SmartSync is active.

*** The key question is: what is the best way for me to get regular, timely notifications without dipping into my data usage too much? ***

I have set my Google Calendar up as a calendar in the HTC onboard calendar. I have also downloaded the Google Calendar app. (Does this also mean I will get triple notifications?) What would happen if I used my HTC Calendar's notification system (assuming it is using information from Google Calendar)?

Thank you!
    mkhall likes this.
    11-10-2013 03:25 PM
    I'm not aware of any calendar alerts that send emails. It would seem to make more sense to just use the on screen alerts.
    11-10-2013 11:04 PM
    1. you dont need email notifications (and you shouldn't prefer them anyway) when you can just get notified by the app's push notification as adriandb pointed out.

2. if you added your google calendar account to htc stock calendar app you dont need to download google calendar. just chose one of those two apps and stick with it because yes, each app will produce its own alerts and you will get notified multiple times for the same entry.
    11-11-2013 02:35 AM