11-23-2013 10:11 AM
69 123
tools
    I had a One X and at upgrade time was torn between the One and the GS4. Honestly, I didn't want to upgrade but my One X was not holding a charge, lagging like crazy, etc. Besides, newer is better right?
    The reason I didn't want to upgrade was that my One X camera was phenomenal! Action shots of my kids in mid air were amazing in detail and focus! Shots in low light were no good but that was fine with me for the incredible daylight quality.
    I ended up going with the GS4 because the reviews said the camera was the best. Interestingly, many reviews said the One X camera was only average. Well, my "average" One X camera destroyed my "great" GS4 camera. To the point that I seriously considered selling my GS4 and finding a One X on eBay.
    I am going to hold out for the One replacement. I still don't know if anything (two years later) can stand up to the daylight quality of my old One X which really frustrates me. There are some of my One X shots. HTC One camera - have you heard that its rubbish in sunlight/generally rubbish? READ ON!-1384546141289.jpgHTC One camera - have you heard that its rubbish in sunlight/generally rubbish? READ ON!-1384546254921.jpgHTC One camera - have you heard that its rubbish in sunlight/generally rubbish? READ ON!-1384546360962.jpgHTC One camera - have you heard that its rubbish in sunlight/generally rubbish? READ ON!-1384546413043.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    robsawalker and heyyu like this.
    11-15-2013 02:14 PM
    I had one with an awful camera up until about a week ago. The camera seemed to progressively get worse--the purple tint became so bad indoor photos were useless, and it couldn't focus in daylight on anything not directly in front of it.

HTC offered to take it in for repairs, but I couldn't go without a phone, so I fought with Sprint for quite some time, and finally got them to credit the warranty exchange fee ($50) and got a warranty replacement (refurbished) phone. The serial number is from the same batch (34), but the camera is amazing. Seriously. I'm impressed. And I used to have an iPhone 4S that I used all the time for photography.

This thing does well in daylight, indoors, low light, etc., and focuses perfectly.
    robsawalker likes this.
    11-15-2013 03:59 PM
    I never noticed the purple hue on mine until 4.3 update. At least not as bad as it is now. It does take great daylight pictures.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    11-15-2013 04:03 PM
    I'm pretty sure that with my device i could make that look pretty much in focus and not washed out.
    So it's either a faulty cam or lens,
    OR it's something you're missing while adjusting.
    Exactly. That is a badly taken out of focus picture. Any camera is capable of that!
    11-16-2013 03:33 AM
    Exactly. That is a badly taken out of focus picture. Any camera is capable of that!
    True, but the One excels at it. Unless you make sure to focus the shot, 9 times out of 10 the One won't do it correctly and you'll get a shot that isn't worth keeping. This makes for a slow camera experience and many poor photos.
    11-16-2013 06:45 AM
    Hi Adrian, normally I agree with most of what you say, but this time I have to disagree. I can take well focused shots on my HTC one faster than any phone I have ever had.

Now, I'm not saying your making it up, perhaps your phone has a problem? I have had mine for nearly six months now and I'm still as pleased as punch with it, especially the camera!

Cheers, Rob

Posted via Android Central App
    11-16-2013 10:50 AM
    True, but the One excels at it. Unless you make sure to focus the shot, 9 times out of 10 the One won't do it correctly and you'll get a shot that isn't worth keeping. This makes for a slow camera experience and many poor photos.
    Then please please please tell me what I am doing wrong. That stadium picture that I posted was actually the best out of 6 that I took that night. I tried regular, night, and HDR. That crappy picture I posted was the best. I even tried focusing on the stadium as well as other objects around it. Don't tell me I don't know how to take pictures. I've been taking pictures for over 40 years. I love my HTC phone but the camera is horrible. If you have any suggestions then tell me. That's why I posted. But don't act like I intentionally posted a blurry picture. Because I am really trying to find out what is wrong. And even the colors are wrong. Like I said the name on the stadium should be blue not white.

Sorry. Somehow the first time I posted this the wrong person was quoted. Can't find a way to delete post.
    11-16-2013 02:18 PM
    Then please please please tell me what I am doing wrong. That stadium picture that I posted was actually the best out of 6 that I took that night. I tried regular, night, and HDR. That crappy picture I posted was the best. I even tried focusing on the stadium as well as other objects around it. Don't tell me I don't know how to take pictures. I've been taking pictures for over 40 years. I love my HTC phone but the camera is horrible. If you have any suggestions then tell me. That's why I posted. But don't act like I intentionally posted a blurry picture. Because I am really trying to find out what is wrong. And even the colors are wrong. Like I said the name on the stadium should be blue not white.
    11-16-2013 02:20 PM
    if you tried many times and this is the best result, SOMETHING must be wrong in the camera or lens.
    11-16-2013 02:32 PM
    if you tried many times and this is the best result, SOMETHING must be wrong in the camera or lens.
    That's what I am thinking too. I can take a day time pic that looks good. But any low light or night picture come out blurry and all colors appear white. If I am doing something wrong I'll admit it. But this camera is supposed to excel at low light pictures. I am seeing the complete opposite right now. Guess it just ribbed me the wrong way when I have a legit problem and someone in this forum says I intentionally posted a blurry picture.
    11-16-2013 02:37 PM
    That's what I am thinking too. I can take a day time pic that looks good. But any low light or night picture come out blurry and all colors appear white. If I am doing something wrong I'll admit it. But this camera is supposed to excel at low light pictures. I am seeing the complete opposite right now. Guess it just ribbed me the wrong way when I have a legit problem and someone in this forum says I intentionally posted a blurry picture.
    hate it when they do this!! and this is kind of a peaceful forum, or so it seems
    ram1220 likes this.
    11-16-2013 02:51 PM
    Hi. Either your phone is faulty or the glass is really greasy/dirty. The HTC one is very sensitive to the glass cover over the lens - make sure it is clean. If it is, and you are unable to get better photos than the one you posted then it needs to go back!
    ram1220 likes this.
    11-16-2013 04:03 PM
    where the HTC seems to be lacking is in the event shots along with zoe and uploading to youtube... all that said, for all the HTC ONE is(best phone 2013)imho they 100% could have did a better job with the camera. imho. my Dink2 smoked this camera.. imho.... i look for great things in 2014 with the M8.... KEEP MOVING FORWARD.
    ram1220 likes this.
    11-16-2013 04:53 PM
    where the HTC seems to be lacking is in the event shots along with zoe and uploading to youtube... all that said, for all the HTC ONE is(best phone 2013)imho they 100% could have did a better job with the camera. imho. my Dink2 smoked this camera.. imho.... i look for great things in 2014 with the M8.... KEEP MOVING FORWARD.
    that depends on what you need. i don't need extra sharp 13mp cramping all the storage. what i DO need is good low light and good colors.
    wouldn't mind going to 8mp and losing the purple haze though
    11-16-2013 06:04 PM
    all that said, for all the HTC ONE is(best phone 2013)imho they 100% could have did a better job with the camera. imho.
    This is really the point for me. As good as the One is, the fact that it's such a nice device in almost every aspect, and then to have a camera that isn't up to the same standards makes it stand out more than it otherwise would.
    ram1220 likes this.
    11-16-2013 06:44 PM
    What camera do you think is a superior all-round camera on a smartphone, Adrian?
    11-17-2013 11:21 AM
    HTC One camera - have you heard that its rubbish in sunlight/generally rubbish? READ ON!-imag0054.jpg

A photo I took out walking on my HTC One
    11-17-2013 11:25 AM
    11-17-2013 11:31 AM
    HTC One camera - have you heard that its rubbish in sunlight/generally rubbish? READ ON!-imag0184.jpg

The awesome German WW2 88mm field gun...
    11-17-2013 11:37 AM
    i dunno, i find this cam more and more awesome each day.
    wide angle, great low light handling, touch to set brightness, accurate colors, fast action, and 120fps slow-mo!
    yes you'll get a bit of purple in really extreme low light. i can easily live with that. the 4mp limit doesn't bother me at all.
    (btw i hate flash and never use it)
    it's fantastic! i advise everyone who feel different to maybe spend a bit more time with it and have a second opinion before jumping to the 13mp generic monsters.
    again, my cam does have the average purple haze in extreme low light but it's minor imo.
    whether people have a really faulty sensor or not, i can't really tell from my device.
    robsawalker likes this.
    11-17-2013 11:56 AM
    Here's a sunset I took on the Isle of Mull this year, just before 10pm at night. None of the cameras we had with us could take a picture without the flash going off (I didn't have my SLR with me). The Galaxy and iPhone both failed to capture a meaningful image here. So, what other camera could? (Lumia 1020 would, but wasn't out then)

HTC One camera - have you heard that its rubbish in sunlight/generally rubbish? READ ON!-imag0264.jpg
    11-17-2013 02:17 PM
    What I am finding out is I have to press a point on the screen to focus my camera more than once. And it usually won't hold that focus for more than a second. I was able to take a couple good looking photos the following night inside a stadium. But for each photo I have to focus probably 5 or 6 times and then hope I can press the shutter button before it goes out of focus. I did manage to take about 3 really good pictures with proper color. But for each one that comes out good there are 5 or 6 others that are trash. In my opinion HTC skimped on the camera in the One.
    HTC One camera - have you heard that its rubbish in sunlight/generally rubbish? READ ON!-imag0049.jpg
    11-17-2013 04:31 PM
    What camera do you think is a superior all-round camera on a smartphone, Adrian?
    My previous phone was an iPhone 4S and it was comparable or better. My wife's iPhone 5s has a fantastic camera.
    11-17-2013 05:35 PM
    What I am finding out is I have to press a point on the screen to focus my camera more than once. And it usually won't hold that focus for more than a second. I was able to take a couple good looking photos the following night inside a stadium. But for each photo I have to focus probably 5 or 6 times and then hope I can press the shutter button before it goes out of focus. I did manage to take about 3 really good pictures with proper color. But for each one that comes out good there are 5 or 6 others that are trash. In my opinion HTC skimped on the camera in the One.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0049.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	498.2 KB 
ID:	92407
    try this: go to your camera settings and change the shutter settings to take the picture when tapping on screen instead of the dedicated button.
    this means that you can now either: tap on screen once to make the cam focus and take a picture,
    OR you can put your finger on the screen until you focus and when you take your finger off the picture is taken.

might solve your problem.
    11-18-2013 01:37 AM
    Agreed. Changing the shutter settings to "touch to capture" seems to help a lot with the focus of pictures in my experience. I have also had a lot of success with taking a ZOE instead of a single picture and then selecting a single frame.
    11-18-2013 03:11 AM
69 123