11-23-2013 10:11 AM
69 123
tools
    My previous phone was an iPhone 4S and it was comparable or better. My wife's iPhone 5s has a fantastic camera.
    Each to their own I guess, I have had the iPhone 3, 3GS, 4 etc and yes they are really great cameras, but I don't think they are as good as the HTC Ones for all the reasons I have outlined.
    11-18-2013 12:48 PM
    What I am finding out is I have to press a point on the screen to focus my camera more than once. And it usually won't hold that focus for more than a second.
    You can Lock Focus and Exposure by simply holding your finger on the object. Not sure if you know that? (not being sarky, just wondering! )

Also, not sure if it's my imagination, but since the sense 5.5 update my camera seems to be even better!
    11-18-2013 12:54 PM
    You can Lock Focus and Exposure by simply holding your finger on the object. Not sure if you know that? (not being sarky, just wondering! )

Also, not sure if it's my imagination, but since the sense 5.5 update my camera seems to be even better!
    I wasn't aware of that. I'll try that the next time I take pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

try this: go to your camera settings and change the shutter settings to take the picture when tapping on screen instead of the dedicated button.
    this means that you can now either: tap on screen once to make the cam focus and take a picture,
    OR you can put your finger on the screen until you focus and when you take your finger off the picture is taken.

might solve your problem.
    Thanks. I wasn't aware I could do this. I will try it.
    11-18-2013 02:41 PM
    Anyone mind making some guidelines of how to take nice photo with HTC One? Mine was a little of purle tint on dark and quite purple in extreme dark. I see quite a lot nice pictures taken by HTC One however I haven't got any best shot. I guess one major reason is I dont have good sense of photography. It really depends on how you take photos to make a great picture, not only by those big dot of pixel or technology- I suppose
    robsawalker likes this.
    11-19-2013 01:27 AM
    Anyone mind making some guidelines of how to take nice photo with HTC One? Mine was a little of purle tint on dark and quite purple in extreme dark. I see quite a lot nice pictures taken by HTC One however I haven't got any best shot. I guess one major reason is I dont have good sense of photography. It really depends on how you take photos to make a great picture, not only by those big dot of pixel or technology- I suppose
    for your consideration, robsawalker
    11-19-2013 04:30 AM
    for your consideration, robsawalker
    Very kind of you to say, but really I am just a keen amateur. I can offer a few simple pointers though:

There are literally hundreds of website out there telling you how to take good photos; by FAR the two most important things are: 1) opportunity and 2) good composition.

If you don't have a camera on you which you can access quickly, you will lose the opportunity for many great pictures. Luckily the HTC One is one of the fastest cameras to boot and take a photo with. When I go out walking I hold my phone in my hand. (If I go bird/wildlife watching I take an SLR - a proper camera!). If you are out for the night, keep your phone handy to snap of a quick pic. With people, the best photos are almost always best when the subject doesn't know you are taking the picture (I don't mean go around being creepy!) People struggle to act casual when they are aware you are taking a photo.

The next two things are the golden rule and light. Take a look at this: Golden Section and Rule of Thirds (Golden Mean, Golden Ratio, Golden Spiral, Golden Proportion, Golden Triangles). It is tied in to the fibonacci sequence, which appears in nature everywhere.

Light: As I explained earlier, with a camera you only have one lens and it is capable of only focusing on one area at a time. If you have framed a picture and there is a strong light source and heavy shadow (like the window inside example I showed earlier) then you have to decide what you are going to focus on. Try and change the framing if you can. HTCs HDR mode is useful here because it takes two shots, one exposed on the bright area and one on the dark area and combines them (other cameras also use HDR). Another simple rule is, try not to take shots with the sun in front of you. How to Shoot in Direct Sunlight - Digital Photography School

Thats the basics. You can alter the 'sensitivity' of the sensor to light by changing ISO: basically, the higher you go the more light sensitive it will be and the more grainy it will be.

Just look online, there are loads of sites which will help you with the basics. Smartphone cameras are very rudimentary, it wont take you long to play and learn. I would urge you to try changing all the settings and see what happens - at the very bottom of the menu you can reset to stock so play as much as you like!

Cheers,

R
    rozroz, garyft and davidtm like this.
    11-19-2013 01:04 PM
    Amazing 6 months later and many of the same people rubbishing the camera.
    11-19-2013 04:58 PM
    I've come from an iPhone 5 to HTC One and the camera quality far exceeds that both in quality and operation

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    11-19-2013 05:23 PM
    I am new to the one coming from an iPhone 5 and the note2 and I don't understand why so many reviews bash this camera, I am very pleased with the camera and overall operation of this device.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    11-19-2013 08:30 PM
    I have exactly the same situation. Images are blurry, unsharp, even when weather is sunny. Focusing by finger works partially.
    11-20-2013 02:16 AM
    I have exactly the same situation. Images are blurry, unsharp, even when weather is sunny. Focusing by finger works partially.
    I have noticed that the more I practice the more I can take a decent picture. But compared to other phones I have owned /used the camera on the One is just to inconsistent. It seems like there is just too much work involved in trying to take a decent picture. But again it's my fault for not researching the camera on the One before I bought it. I still need to take about 5 or 6 pictures each time just to get 1 picture good enough to keep.
    11-20-2013 02:57 PM
    I had a One X and at upgrade time was torn between the One and the GS4. Honestly, I didn't want to upgrade but my One X was not holding a charge, lagging like crazy, etc. Besides, newer is better right?
    The reason I didn't want to upgrade was that my One X camera was phenomenal! Action shots of my kids in mid air were amazing in detail and focus! Shots in low light were no good but that was fine with me for the incredible daylight quality.
    I ended up going with the GS4 because the reviews said the camera was the best. Interestingly, many reviews said the One X camera was only average. Well, my "average" One X camera destroyed my "great" GS4 camera. To the point that I seriously considered selling my GS4 and finding a One X on eBay.
    I am going to hold out for the One replacement. I still don't know if anything (two years later) can stand up to the daylight quality of my old One X which really frustrates me. There are some of my One X shots. Attachment 92080Attachment 92081Attachment 92082Attachment 92083

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    Totally agree with this. I had the Sprint version of the One X (Evo 4G LTE) and I just got the LG G2. I think my old phone takes much better photos than the G2.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-20-2013 07:27 PM
    I came to the HTC One from a Lumia 920, and while I'm generally pleased with the HTC One in other aspects, I have to say the camera is atrociously bad. I'm pretty sure it's a software/image processing issue. I don't think it has anything to do with the actual sensor, since Zoes look fine (and still shots taken from Zoes look fine) but any still photo taken with the actual camera is a nightmare. Washed out, blurry, noisy, etc. By contrast, my Lumia 920 took unbelievably good photos, especially in low light.
    11-20-2013 09:06 PM
    I came to the HTC One from a Lumia 920, and while I'm generally pleased with the HTC One in other aspects, I have to say the camera is atrociously bad. I'm pretty sure it's a software/image processing issue. I don't think it has anything to do with the actual sensor, since Zoes look fine (and still shots taken from Zoes look fine) but any still photo taken with the actual camera is a nightmare. Washed out, blurry, noisy, etc. By contrast, my Lumia 920 took unbelievably good photos, especially in low light.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...you-got-d.html
    robsawalker likes this.
    11-20-2013 10:12 PM
    I agree to some extent on the good aspects of the One's camera. It can take gorgeous pictures most of the time. The image chip can help you take tons of pictures really quickly without waiting and it's something that I like when I want to just pop the One out of my pocket, unlock and snap a quick photo. The macro mode is awesome and it's perhaps the best, excluding the Lumia 9xx's and 1xxx's. Also, I would have liked that HTC included a focus lamp to aid in low light like Nokia. It really makes a difference.

My main complaint is that the camera hunts too much to focus in low light and you have to wait a long time to take a good low light picture, even when you use the "tap to take a picture" option.

Since I received the update to Android 4.3 (US unlocked/dev edition) low light pictures show a blue/purple hint on very dark areas like the sky. I don't suffer the tinting problem that appeats when you cover the camera lens as my screen goes is pitch black if cover the lens. I hope that the Sense 5.5 updates addresses the excessive focus hunting and the blue tint I started to see after upgrading to 4.3.

All in all, the camera is great but it could be better if HTC addresses some of the present issues with updates (if that's possible). Having many reports on the purple hinting when covering the camera lens is not good, but people with this problem should take their phones to a customer service center and exchange it for a new one.
    11-20-2013 10:41 PM
    I have noticed that the more I practice the more I can take a decent picture. But compared to other phones I have owned /used the camera on the One is just to inconsistent. It seems like there is just too much work involved in trying to take a decent picture. But again it's my fault for not researching the camera on the One before I bought it. I still need to take about 5 or 6 pictures each time just to get 1 picture good enough to keep.
    ram1220: Either your camera is faulty or your technique is at question (no offence intended here). I rarely need to take more than 2 shots to get a good picture, and that isn't because the image didn't focus, was blurry or had purple in it, it was because I was taking a picture for work in an awkward space (inside timber pipe boxing for instance) or I was trying different compositions out.

I would try this: see if you can get a friend with a smartphone to take the same picture at the same time. Make sure your lens is clean, and you have touched to focus on the subject. Both of you take the photos and compare. If theirs looks good and yours is blurry then you need to return your phone for repair.
    11-23-2013 05:15 AM
    GoingDark - have you read any of the discussion in this thread? If you have you should realise that there is no reason a correctly functioning HTC One would produce these results.
    11-23-2013 05:17 AM
    I would also say to those new to the HTC One, one really good thing with the phone is the excellent Help built into it. If you aren't aware of this - it's in Settings - About - Help

There are plenty of videos you can download showing you how to use the cameras functions such as Highlight Reels, Zoe's, images with a duplicated subject and so on. There is also a guide to using the camera with loads of tips and advice.

Regarding the purple tint, I just don't know whether it's a hardware of software problem. I don't get it myself, but I do think some people say updates have improved things a lot.
    11-23-2013 05:22 AM
    No tint here

I have yet to have scrappy pics. Feels better than gs3 cam

Posted via Android Central App
    11-23-2013 10:11 AM
69 123