HTC One camera - have you heard that its rubbish in sunlight/generally rubbish? READ ON!

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO POST THAT THE HTC ONE CAMERA IS RUBBISH:

Look, I feel sorry for people who may have faulty HTC One's which don't give excellent picture quality, but MY HTC One takes brilliant pictures in daylight, twilight, lowlight, any light. Most peoples' do, the faulty ones are a very small minority. I have had 2 HTC Ones and both had perfect cameras (I accidentally killed one). I just thought I would say a few words to those who may be thinking about buying an HTC One, but have been put off by talk of the camera being sub-standard.

It ISN'T - it is an excellent camera. (If you don't believe me, ask Brian Klug at Anandtech: AnandTech | The HTC One Review)

Here's WHY:

Ultrapixels?

Some people have some strange ideas about good pictures and the effect megapixels/sensor size/pixel size on sensor have on taking a picture. Adrianb is correct in saying that ultrapixels have no bearing on the amount of light being delivered to the sensor; the light let in is controlled by the lens and the camera's aperture. But, for any given sensor size a certain number of light photons can be picked up by the pixels on the sensor. What HTC did, when they had space for a larger sensor, is, instead of cramming more small pixels on, they made the pixels larger. This means that each given pixel has more photons hitting it than, say, the Galaxy S3. Because of this, in a low-light situation, the light that is available will provide more photons to each pixel than a normal sensor, so it has better sensitivity which can be taken advantage of by the software.

BUT... MORE PIXELS = BETTER PICTURES, EVERYONE KNOWS THAT?

Well, no, not really. To be honest, the only reason why anyone really wants more pixels these days on a smartphone camera is for cropping (so you just take a photo in the rough direction of the subject and then cut the image down after). In other words, the photo you took wasn't well framed, or in some situations where light is good enough, you can use it to act like a digital zoom (this is what the Lumia 1020 does I think). Taking time to frame a good picture and ensuring you have good settings is the best way of getting a picture people want to look at. A crappy image which is three times the size of your laptop screen has loads of megapixels, but it's still just a crappy image.

5 mega pixels are capable of printing good quality images at A4 size, and are more than capable of really good images on an HD phone or computer monitor. I have had my HTC One for 5 months now and I still marvel at how good the images it takes are. I have been a keen amateur photographer since I was 10, when my brother gave me my first SLR film camera (which was totally manual). I have had three iPhones, which take great photos, a Galaxy Note, a Galaxy S3 (which took really nice pictures too) and of course the HTC One. The HTC takes the best pictures of all my smartphones, no doubt. As a typical user, I take pictures every day, for work, and on holiday it is usually my main camera when we go hiking or walking in the woods etc. I do a lot of stuff outdoors, and also visit historical sites/museums and so on where there is often poor light. The HTC One's brilliant ability to take good pictures with low light is great. People who say it takes crap pictures in daylight... well, my one doesn't. It sounds to me like people are just parroting what they read in reviews, where they have slightly misinterpreted comparisons with the S4.

WHY THE HTC ONE IS MORE LIKELY TO DELIVER GOOD PICTURES THAN MOST OTHER SMARTPHONES:

One of the most overlooked and, in my mind, most important features of the HTC's camera is its ability to take great pictures FAST. I use the excellent Dynamic Notifications app and set an upswipe to switch to camera. If I see something I need to take a photo of quickly, I can get into the camera app and take a photo really quickly. The Samsung takes at least 4 times longer to take a photo, and that can literally make ALL the difference. And, because it doesn't use flash much I can bang out multiple shots incredibly quickly. It is a huge advantage. Combine that with OIS (Optical Image Stabilisation), which most other camera lack (except Lumia's and the N5) and you have a truly great camera. Also, if you have an HTC One I really urge you to experiment with the cameras settings - they really can make a huge difference. By adjusting the light settings for indoor/outdoor/night scenarios you really can see a big difference.

I often get people expressing amazement at some of the pictures I have taken on my HTC One - they don't think a smartphone camera can take such good pictures. But it CAN.

TIME TO RE-APPRAISE YOUR THINKING.

Look, megapixel count, flash type, sensor size, aperture are all smartphone camera features which can affect the quality of a photo. But by far the most important thing is learning how to take well-framed, interesting photos. Experiment with your cameras settings - HTC have given you a camera which can give you stunning results, it's up to you to learn how to use it. My first SLR was completely manual, I had to learn how to set aperture and shutter speed manually against taking a light reading. If you are serious about wanting to take good smartphone photos then read up on taking good photos - there are literally hundreds of websites out there about it. Learn your settings. And forget about megapixels. Oh, and accept that all smartphones can only take certain types of photos - if your going birdspotting it's unlikely you're going to be using a smartphone camera!
Once you have mastered the camera, THEN think about filters and effects. Instead of hammering a filter because everybody else is, experiment. And when you get really good, I can recommend the Adobe PS Touch app for knocking out amazing images on-the-go. Of course, using full blown photoshop on an image opens up a whole new world of possibilities...

So, I say to you "forget all the hype, megapixels and what other people tell you - read up on your HTC Ones camera settings, experiment and enjoy. You really DO have one of the best cameras on a smartphone!"

Cheers! :p

Robsa

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
To be honest the camera in my One is the only thing I don't like about the phone. I don't have the purple tint but I just can not take a picture that doesn't look blurry. My old HTC Hero took better pictures and it didn't even have a flash.

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
can you not replace it? If it is unusable, you need a new one. :)

i was very happy to read some more positive opinions on the camera, since i almost chose the G2 over the ONE, but now i think i'll go for the ONE.
i also personally think i really don't need to cramp 13mp photos just because they are sharper. takes way too much precious space, and a good shooter can handle the ONE's camera limitations. i personally like it, and now still use the Iphone 4(!) cam for decent pictures, especially when just needed uploading to the net.

but the problem is that i live in Israel, and costumer service here might be problematic for some devices.
HTC for example. terrible service, takes ages to repair or get a new phone, etc. and from what i read there are literally TONS of QC complaints all over the web.
so that's the main thing i'm afraid of.
what if i get "purple haze"?? i'm done for!
it feels almost a matter of pure luck. unless the problems now somehow have gone under control.. i dunno. maybe it's all exaggerated? hope so.
so THAT was almost the main reason to pick the G2. and i HATE going by that reason. not a real choice. i would enjoy the ONE's cam very much. also the slo-mo ability.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
As is the case with most of these things, people only post up with problems, not to say 'my camera doesn't have a tint problem'. Neither of my HTC Ones had a problem with the camera, and I dont know anyone who has one that has had this problem.

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
As is the case with most of these things, people only post up with problems, not to say 'my camera doesn't have a tint problem'. Neither of my HTC Ones had a problem with the camera, and I dont know anyone who has one that has had this problem.

thanks. hey, where can i see some of your photos? especially low light ones?

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine had the purple tint issues as well and i know its a wide spread problem on alot of ONES out there but some got lucky an never had the purple BS. Best thing to do is go to a device support center (in the U.S.) an tell them the issue an they'll swap yours with another ONE. But before you leave,make sure you give it a stress test an let the camera get warmed up an take lots of pics non stop,cover the lense an make sure its black an not purple,turn it off an then back on etc etc. I know several people who have done this an their camera has been flawless since. I went through 2 replacements with at&t an finally got a working ONE an have been happy with it.

Phil Hendy

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I love this phone but I find it really struggles with bright light sources, for example a subject with a window in background in reasonably good daylight conditions usually blows out badly and even selecting hdr and locking ae/AF has intermittent success, imho it's a real problem.

Posted via Android Central App

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Phil, I am assuming you are talking about taking a picture indoors where it's dim, and have an outside window letting in a lot of light? This is always going to be a hard ask for a camera as it is only able to focus on one area - if it focuses on the window, the interior will be dim; if you focus on the interior, the window will be over-exposed. The best way to compromise with a shot like this (apart form choosing a better place to take a picture) is to try tapping on the screen at a point between the edge of the window and the subject.

This is nothing to do with the HTC One itself, any camera will behave in this way.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
For example, here are three photos of the window in our office. You can see that the top one is focused on the window and is overexposed; the middle one is focused on the inside and is too dark, and the bottom one I chose a point somewhere in between. Playing around with the levels in Photoshop would improve on this even more.

Attachments

• 2013-11-14 10.59.07.jpg
    2013-11-14 10.59.07.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 2013-11-14 10.59.12.jpg
    2013-11-14 10.59.12.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 2013-11-14 10.59.21.jpg
    2013-11-14 10.59.21.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 63

yanikc

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The HTC camera is below average at best. Unfortunately that is the only thing I don't like about the phone. My wife has the S4 and the One photos do not even compare. I'm just thankful I signed up for the T-Mobile Jump program and the 3 months left before I can get a different phone (note 3?) can't come soon enough!

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

laja91

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
To be honest the camera in my One is the only thing I don't like about the phone. I don't have the purple tint but I just can not take a picture that doesn't look blurry. My old HTC Hero took better pictures and it didn't even have a flash.

My exact feelings.... The lamest moment I've had with the One is when my friend thought I had purposely blurred a picture I sent them as an "effect". :(

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Each to their own I suppose, and the galaxy does take nice pictures, but I think the HTC takes better images everywhere except in strong light... Although you can't see what you have taken in strong light due to the oled screen. Did you read what I wrote? Do you disagree with any points?

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My exact feelings.... The lamest moment I've had with the One is when my friend thought I had purposely blurred a picture I sent them as an "effect". :(

All I can say to that is, make sure the glass over your lens is clean.it is very sensitive to finger prints. My HTC one takes wonderful, crisp images.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The HTC camera is below average at best. Unfortunately that is the only thing I don't like about the phone.
Exactly. I'm really hoping for 8mp next time around. I'm not sure about the rest of the optics, but any improvements there would be welcome too.

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. I'm really hoping for 8mp next time around. I'm not sure about the rest of the optics, but any improvements there would be welcome too.

just bought the ONE, didn't have much time to play with it yet, but unless you're someone who prints or need his photos in pretty large size,
i have no problem with the quality (for web, personal use etc), in fact, it has a special magic all the other cams lack, which is a special feel i find more similar to vintage SLR, something i missed for a long time since the digital age.
i personally have no need for those gigantic 13mp over sharp pictures.
obviously it's not perfect with some artifacts, some tweaking needs to be done, but who cares? it's the FEEL man, the FEEL.

Phil Hendy

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
For example, here are three photos of the window in our office. You can see that the top one is focused on the window and is overexposed; the middle one is focused on the inside and is too dark, and the bottom one I chose a point somewhere in between. Playing around with the levels in Photoshop would improve on this even more.

Rob, many thanks for that reply, that is EXACTLY what I meant. Your explanation of why is of course spot on. Can you confirm that this phenomena is something that ALL cameras exhibit, and I mean non phone cameras?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC