Why is my phone taking forever to charge?

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I never had a problem with the charging time on the phone but today I started to charge it after leaving it on for the night and it only has 2% left and I've been charging it with a micro USB charger connected to my.iPad USB charger block and today it has significantly slowed down the charging. It's like 5 minutes per 1%

Posted via Android Central App

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me with the stock charger. Switched to a new cord from five below and a Samsung wall adapter and all is well again. In short try another charger.

meekrol#AC

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine takes over 6 hours most nights and even then never fully charges. Sprint signal is so bad at my house that the phone is always roaming.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine takes over 6 hours most nights and even then never fully charges. Sprint signal is so bad at my house that the phone is always roaming.

Try charging in power save mode. Also if charging via any
USB port? You One will charge very slow. You have 2 options.
1.charge via wall outlet and get the full amp draw.
2. Buy "charge only" usb cables. These cables will make your one think it is charging via
Wall charger all the time.

Sent from my Coconut Wireless One on T-Mobile

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Verify in the battery section of the settings that it reads "Charging (AC)" and not "Charging (USB)" when you're charging.

If you're in a low signal area and you don't mind having your phone radio off overnight you could automate that with Tasker.

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I found it took a really long time unless I was using the exact charger and cable that came with the One.

velvetelvis

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Any charger that delivers a full 1A should be the same.

sorry to dredge up an old thread, but i just got an htc one and after having it on a charger all night my phone was still not at a full charge. 88% to be exact. there was a message on my screen saying i should use an official htc cable to get a faster charge. what the hell does that mean? well, i know what that means, but i have never seen that on any phone. the cable i was using was the usb cable that came with my galaxy s3 so i know it was a good cable.

velvetelvis

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
not a thing is wrong with that, but all micro usb cables should be equal providing they are not charging only cables. but i did figure out what was causing it. i was plugged into an outlet extender that has usb ports in it. those usb ports apperently are not strong enough. so tonight i will use the wall unit and see how that goes.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
true that.

my phone does take longer to charge when plugged into my computer, instead of the wall outlet.

still, it should have charged fully after leaving it "all night".

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
As adriandb said, any charger that is putting out at least 1.0 A will charge the phone as fast any other that is putting out that much or more. But, if you use a charger that puts out less than that or if you charge via USB connected to your computer, it will take much longer. Also, if you are in a low signal area, your phone is using a significant amount of power staying connected to the cell network which will increase your charge time significantly. There is nothing magic about the cable. If you have a good cable, you are going to be fine. There is nothing magic about the charger. If it outputs at least 1.0 A you are going to be fine. It is pretty simple stuff.

If you phone is on the charger all night and it is not at 100 percent, then you have a below spec charger, a shorted cable, or you have poor signal or apps that are running using lots of power.

I am in a decent signal area. My phone typically takes about 3 to 4 hours to fully charge from a battery that is down in the 30% range.

Trish Mullen

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
My S3 always took forever to charge, it only added a 31% charge in 17 hours!!!!!! I found my old Blackberry charger, used that and within minutes it finished the charge off to 100%. So I think it's the actual charging cable that loses power over time. Try someone's Blackberry one before deciding if it's the same for you

And 2 days later, only had to charge phone once and it went from 24% to 100% in about an hour. Even more proof that it is the charging plug and not the phone��

Last edited by a moderator:

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
The problem with slow charging lies in the cables. Cheap ones will not charge phones fast enough.

In my case, the original cable charges to 100% in about 2 hours no matter if I'm using the original wall charger, another charger or computer (up to date hardware) ports. If I use cheap cables, the phone will charge in about 4.5 hours or more from any of the sources I just mentioned.

Buying good cables is a hassle because even some brands have crappy cables (I tried today a PureGear $10 cable and is crap) and the prices are not cheap. I would suggest buying originals from any phone OEM brand like HTC, Samsung, etc.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Jawbone cable+note ii+ 2amp samsung oem charger=17 hours

Kendel fire cable+note ii+ 2amp samsung charger=7 hours with screen off and no wifi teather, otherwise dosent keep pace with usage but only bairly.

Lg cable+noteii+2amp samsung charger=4.5 hours with the above usage or 3 without to full charge.

All from 20% ro full

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

lee cook1

May 24, 2015
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy light that charges slowly when the wall charger is used...I purchased a nyko gamepad pro, and with the cable attached my phone to the charger...sped up significantly. Now I can watch movies or play games on my phone and it still charges fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz