I have looked at 3 new htc ones and they all have scrapes on the power button, is this a QC issue or do they all have it?
    Where did they source the buttons from LOL?
    11-18-2013 05:37 PM
    That interesting. I have seen several HTC Ones on display and never noticed that when inspecting the phones. Too bad the power buttons aren't ceramic or metal.
    11-18-2013 05:49 PM
    OMG I just studied my phone's power button very closely under bright light in every possible angle and did in fact spot tiny almost imperceptible scraps in it.

Shame on you HTC using plastic for an infrared port!

Damn reviewers they never mentioned this on their articles. Now I will now have to trash my phone...

Could you tell me which one you have Barso1 so that I may switch to that?

Oh and..

LOL
    11-18-2013 06:16 PM
    What do you expect from a plastic button? I would think there are better things to do then study your phones power button, also remember it's an IR button. Have you studied your dvr remote recently?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    11-18-2013 09:26 PM
    What do you expect from a plastic button? I would think there are better things to do then study your phones power button, also remember it's an IR button. Have you studied your dvr remote recently?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Would it be less functional were it made out of glass?
    11-19-2013 07:04 AM
    Would it be less functional were it made out of glass?
    glass also scratches.
    11-19-2013 12:26 PM
    glass also scratches.
    Yes it does, but it is less likely too. ...especially were it something appropriate like...err...mineral glass.

G Pad 8.3
    11-19-2013 12:39 PM
    Yes it does, but it is less likely too. ...especially were it something appropriate like...err...mineral glass.

G Pad 8.3
    its a tiny power button for gods sake. a dark one at that which does a good job in hiding most of not all evidence of use.

the obsession with some people with their phones is beyond reason.

what is ironic is that the OP is most likely using a cheap plastic samsung right now.
    11-19-2013 02:10 PM
    its a tiny power button for gods sake. a dark one at that which does a good job in hiding most of not all evidence of use.

the obsession with some people with their phones is beyond reason.

what is ironic is that the OP is most likely using a cheap plastic samsung right now.
    So expecting a power button that is also used as an IR transmitter on a $700 phone to be made out of mineral glass or something just as durable is unreasonable, eh? Okay.

G Pad 8.3
    11-19-2013 02:13 PM
    My power button on my One is perfect.
    11-19-2013 02:27 PM
    So expecting a power button that is also used as an IR transmitter on a $700 phone to be made out of mineral glass or something just as durable is unreasonable, eh? Okay.

G Pad 8.3
    first of, its not $700.

second, people pay that amount for phones that are made of plastic throughout, and yes, they scratch. or apple products that scuff along the edges.

third, most people who pay that amount for premium finishes end up covering it all up with a $25 case.

fourth, the button on the htc one is durable. far more durable than the two years you spent "$700" to use it for. after that time you'll most likely be shopping for a new device.

so yes, its rediculous to be getting wined up over a few invisible hairline scratches on a tiny power button on a phone.
    ram1220 likes this.
    11-19-2013 02:36 PM
    My power button on my One is perfect.
    it most likely isnt, ram1220.

but the fact that you haven't noticed anything or went putting it under a microscope to find out speaks volumes of your mental health
    garyft likes this.
    11-19-2013 02:44 PM
    first of, its not $700.

second, people pay that amount for phones that are made of plastic throughout, and yes, they scratch. or apple products that scuff along the edges.

third, most people who pay that amount for premium finishes end up covering it all up with a $25 case.

fourth, the button on the htc one is durable. far more durable than the two years you spent "$700" to use it for. after that time you'll most likely be shopping for a new device.

so yes, its rediculous to be getting wined up over a few invisible hairline scratches on a tiny power button on a phone.
    No one is wound up over it (heck, I'm not even allowed to get "wound up" if I wanted to, might kill my pacemaker (just kidding, that was a joke, okay, not funny)). I just agree that it could be made from more durable materials and to make it so wouldn't bankrupt HTC. I have a $100 watch with a complete crystal made of mineral glass. ...it could have been acrylic but I'm glad its not. This is HTC's "premium" phone. Oh well.

I thought I saw AT&T list it for $699 but I could be way way off on that. I don't even have an HTC One, nor do I need to have one, I was just empathizing with the OP's sentiment.

G Pad 8.3
    11-19-2013 02:50 PM
    I was just empathizing with the OP's sentiment.

G Pad 8.3
    i am still waiting to hear what phone the OP is using...

with such an obsession to detail and finish he couldnt be using anything short of a Vertu Constellation.
    11-19-2013 02:57 PM
    i am still waiting to hear what phone the OP is using...

with such an obsession to detail and finish he couldnt be using anything short of a Vertu Constellation.
    ...or an iPhone. They are consistently built pretty durned well. ...but no, I don't want one again.

G Pad 8.3
    11-19-2013 03:04 PM
    ...or an iPhone. They are consistently built pretty durned well. ...but no, I don't want one again.

G Pad 8.3
    clearly you've never heard of "scuff-gate".

and when i had an iphone (4S) it did develop some hairline scratches on the back and front, despite me being extra careful with my phone since i dont like to cover it up in cases. until sapphire crystal becomes economically viable that is what we will get.

the fact that many people pay premium prices for a samsung suggest that "premium finish" is not their main concern, anyway. apple sells because consumers' ignorance who have been with apple since the first iphone and still think android is unstable and vulnerable, because they are comfortable with the apple ecosystem and because of their customer service which is second to none; imessage and the "cool factor" in some communities. other than that, apple could release a phone made of cardboard and people would line up to buy it.

in any case, the htc one build quality has been compared to the iphone by most if not all the serious reviews out there. none of them mentioned the power button.
    11-19-2013 03:11 PM
    clearly you've never heard of "scuff-gate".

and when i had an iphone (4S) it did develop some hairline scratches on the back and front, despite me being extra careful with my phone since i dont like to cover it up in cases. until sapphire crystal becomes economically viable that is what we will get.

the fact that many people pay premium prices for a samsung suggest that "premium finish" is not their main concern, anyway. apple sells because consumers' ignorance who have been with apple since the first iphone and still think android is unstable and vulnerable, because they are comfortable with the apple ecosystem and because of their customer service which is second to none; imessage and the "cool factor" in some communities. other than that, apple could release a phone made of cardboard and people would line up to buy it.

in any case, the htc one build quality has been compared to the iphone by most if not all the serious reviews out there. none of them mentioned the power button.
    The iPhone 5 doesn't count. Aluminum so soft that it you look at too hard it'll scratch. In my mind it's pre-iPhone 5 quality I speak of. An inexcusable omission on my part.

G Pad 8.3
    11-19-2013 03:24 PM
    The iPhone 5 doesn't count. Aluminum so soft that it you look at too hard it'll scratch. In my mind it's pre-iPhone 5 quality I speak of. An inexcusable omission on my part.

G Pad 8.3
    you said earlier "They are consistently built pretty durned well."

that leaves no room for exceptions.

are we to include the 5S there as well? and the 5C?

in any case, i shall spell it out to you in case its not yet clear : the OP is trolling.
    11-19-2013 03:28 PM
    It's not just HTC's power button. I've been all over the crappy aluminum of the iPhone 5 like stink on shet. I think they used soda-can grade aluminum on the iPhone 5 and I still think that. Why, so they can say they recycled? So some poor sucker (like me) can get even less for their money? Inexcusable.

Anywho, any time I see something where I feel like corners may have been cut it to save .01 cent it awakens this beast in me and I black out...when I come to Buddha only knows what I've said or written.

G Pad 8.3
    11-19-2013 03:30 PM
    it most likely isnt, ram1220.

but the fact that you haven't noticed anything or went putting it under a microscope to find out speaks volumes of your mental health
    Well I obviously didn't use a magnifying glass or a microscope but yes my power button on my One is perfect. Absolutely no scratches at all. Unless you have personally seen it you have no idea :/
    11-20-2013 03:15 PM
    Unless you have personally seen it you have no idea :/

the Force is my ally.
    11-20-2013 04:30 PM