No USB Mass Storage - how else can I recover lost files?

max lewis

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have seen this question posed in the S4 forum but couldn't find any discussion about it amongst my fellow HTC One owners, apologies if it has been discussed, if you would be so kind as to point me in the direction of it then please let me know.

If this point hasn't been raised - is no one else experiencing problems because it is no longer possible to mount the phone as a mass storage device? I stupidly deleted a photo that I would really like to recover (i swear its not boobs!) and have now tried to use 3 different programs to recover it - Wonderphone, Yodot and Stellar Phoenix but none of them can see my phone because it is loaded as a device not mass storage. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do?

Thanks!

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
There are several apps in the play store that claim to be able to do this. I haven't used any of them, but have you tried that approach?

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
It's the file system of the device that is the issue. Unless any of the recovery programs can read MTP you're going to have problems. I haven't tried any of the apps in the App Store either, but they must attempt to act as a middleware, emulating a usable file system. If this is the case, recovering deleted data may not be possible.

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I was under the impression that at least Jelly Bean and KitKat use the ext file system internally, so as long as the app can read that it should be able to recover files. The fact that Android now uses ext is the reason that it was changed to using MTP to connect to a computer. It used to use FAT for part of the storage which was what allowed it to be seen as a removable drive. By switching to ext for everything that allowed the system to no longer separate app storage from the SD card as was done in gingerbread.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX