Random Battery Drain?

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys... I've noticed a big difference in battery power recently, yet I haven't really changed anything with my phone. I'm running AT&T 4.3 Sense 5. I just completely charged my phone to 100%, and within 4 min 10 sec, it dropped to 96%!? I downloaded GSAM, and the biggest % power used is Kernel (Android OS) at 59.7%. Android System is 11.6%. The rest are all under 2%. Do these numbers seem normal? As for running apps, I have Settings, GSAM, Hotmail, SmartcardService, HTC Services, Google Services, Facebook, and HTC Sense Input.

Thanks in advance!

Sarm3n

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem. I installed textra 2 days ago and since then my phone is losing battery power dramatically. It's been unplugged from the charger for 3 hours so far today and it dropped from 100% to 60% without really using it. Normally at this time I have about 80-90% left. Not sure what's causing this.

I checked my battery usage and my Android System is using 97%... I doubt that's normal.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
interesting! i'll look into that. in the meantime, i did some more research and found that disabling 'fast boot' could maybe help. so far, it's helped a little?

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
interesting! i'll look into that. in the meantime, i did some more research and found that disabling 'fast boot' could maybe help. so far, it's helped a little?

yes, because if you reboot with "fast boot" active, you're not really rebooting. i also did all that, emptied all cache, disabled all unwanted services and after rebooting the phone went back to normal battery loss. use the wakelock app to see if some services still prevent the phone from deep sleep.

Skyhook1

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing the same type of issues with my htc one now! LOL. 3 days ago I left my phone on overnight. I shut down everything I could, like blutooth, wifi, gps, and even put in airplane mode! I checked phone next morning and it showed having 82% of charge left...ok..not bad. NOW, last night, after performing the same procedures as before, (even disengaging fast boot), after 10hrs on battery, the charge level showed only 52% remaining! I called up the battery usage app and the graph showed a perfect steady decline from 90% to 52%, and the only app it showed as using power was the Android system, nothing else. Am I, too, looking at the Google Play Services causing it? What's your take! Thanks!

Sarm3n

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Mine ended up fixing itself. It might have been the google store issue mentioned above, but after I rebooting my phone, it started working fine again.

Danny Yang

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
You guys were right. I didn't know what was causing it. Thanks!
Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1385051263316.jpg
    1385051263316.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 17

Mcwong

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, first 3 days or so after updating nexus 4 to kitkat, battery drain was very high. It's now intermittent, yesterday was averaging about 2.6% per hour but today went up 10% per hour in the morning. Recharged n rebooted and quite ok in the afternoon, with location reporting turned off as a precaution. No change in setup and apps remain the same. Some apps uninstalled as they were incompatible eg. GSAM battery. Everything is stock 4.4. Phone runs hot randomly or so it seems. Could be some background jobs triggered by something or by google. Kitkat is very smooth and ram usage less by about 15% (still on Dalvik) but battery random drain is a real problem as we don't know when it runs out of juice.

Last edited: