Thoughts about faster charging for the One.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello!
I am back from a good month with the S4,it's a very nice phone but the lack of Sense is big!
The one of few things I liked more on S4 than One was the fast battery charging,it was like 45-60mins to charge completely a battery (2600 and 2800mah) while with HTC One you need at least 2 hours!
I have found that the battery charging on S4 is VERY slow though if you charge it with an USB PC cable,like about 4 hours.
So I wonder if we charge the HTC One with the original S4 charger,it will make charging much faster as the capacity of the S4 charger is higher than others?

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about, the reason for faster charging might be Samsung's using of batteries with higher cell voltage limits, so the charging control can use high amperage somewhat longer time
(when the cells are reaching their voltage limit the charging controll has to decrease the amperage).

With a battery monitor app you'd see that the S4 cell voltage is limited to 4.35V, my HTC One X cell voltage is limited to the (standard) 4.2V.

BTW, Battery Monitor Widget would show you cell voltage, charging amperage and % capacity by time in a graph.

Aah .. yes, the reason for the trickle charging charging on a PC's USB:
The phone won't "see" the modified data pins of the HTC or Samsung charger and therefore won't switch to its rapid charging mode.
And I don't think that the S4 charger on the HTC One would gain someting.

Last edited:

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC One - Thoughts about faster charging

The One has a slow charge time on purpose to lengthen the battery's life span as it is sealed in. "It's a feature not a bug!" A different charger won't change the charging speed.

That said, I'll be flashing a kernel that allows for faster charging.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

To also add to what Adamsberg said.
Most PC USB ports output 500mA. The stock charger for HTC is 1A or 1000mA. So you get double the current output with a wall charger.
And as adriandb mentioned the kernel only allows slow charging to lengthen the life span of the battery.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

The One has a slow charge time on purpose to lengthen the battery's life span as it is sealed in. "It's a feature not a bug!" A different charger won't change the charging speed.

That said, I'll be flashing a kernel that allows for faster charging.
I've flashed one of the kernels (I don't remember which one) on my phone, and I'm using ViperOne, but I don't see much (if any at all) difference in charging time. Have you noticed anything? Thanks.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

I've flashed one of the kernels (I don't remember which one) on my phone, and I'm using ViperOne, but I don't see much (if any at all) difference in charging time. Have you noticed anything? Thanks.
I just put the Elemental kernel on here and I've definitely noticed a difference. I can gain battery while charging in my car, streaming audio and using navigation. I could never do that with the stock kernel and slow charging.

I'll do some more extensive testing tomorrow, but with Android Revolution HD GPE ROM and the Elemental kernel I'm getting way better battery life in general.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

OK this isn't exactly scientific testing, but I charged my phone while I took a quick shower this morning and got 10% of my battery back. I'm going to run it down as low as I can and see how long a recharge takes.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Slightly more scientific; I drained it down below 10% and with an hour of charging I gained just over 50% battery.

That's far better than before this kernel.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site

I just put the Elemental kernel on here and I've definitely noticed a difference. I can gain battery while charging in my car, streaming audio and using navigation. I could never do that with the stock kernel and slow charging.

I'll do some more extensive testing tomorrow, but with Android Revolution HD GPE ROM and the Elemental kernel I'm getting way better battery life in general.

That is awesome! I need to look into doing this because it scares me when I am using my phone for GPS and streaming music- but losing battery level while plugged in charging.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

jacquesdupontd

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I just received my M8 2 days ago. As i' was discovering it (rooting, trying roms and so on) i also noticed that the charge was really slow, i also thought about the fact it was a way to expand the Battery Lifetime. Anyway, i still made a google search and saw your thread, read it, and went on something else. I'm actually using ViperOne M8 rom which is really a nice rom full of features, the battery seems to be correct at lasting and the performance are great (33000 approx in Antutu, if someone is getting more, what's your rom and how did you do ? i know this is offtopic). Anyway, while i was charging it later, i came with an very interesting Solution that i didn't read here or anywhere else even if it seems to logic, so here it is, i thought that putting the phone in extreme saving mod (or even the first energy saving mod) would help it charge faster as it consumes less, i tried and it works perfectly, it goes super fast. Less than an hour to charge the phone. Let me know what you think.