Please Help ... !!! My HTC One shows Grey Battery with "!" Icon ... ???

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I know you all must be thinking I should google it ... I obviously first googled it ... First of all the post I got were not my phone (HTC One) specific ... And also I didnt get the proper answer which could work for me ... So, the problem starts here: My phone fell off from my front pocket of shirt in the bucket of water... (I know my mistake) :-\ .... But it was maximum for 3-4 seconds because I just saw the splash in the water and I took the phone out ... Without unlocking it I cleaned with towel and then dried it up with hairdryer ... Then I unlocked it and it was still working ... I had charging left about 12% so i went and connected the charger ... When I came back the charger was removed !!! (This is not the problem, my sister does that all the time) ... And my phone was dead ... When I re-connected the charger it then showed me charging with the red light steady (Which means charging) but after 5-6 seconds, the charging battery icon changed to the battery icon with and an exclamation mark "!" in it, and the red light started blinking :eek: .... When I turned my phone on it was working as it usually does but the battery icon was grey with an exclamation mark "!" in it :( When connected to the charger ... Without the charger it shows the normal Red Battery icon as the battery is 5%... Then I started to google and found many solutions and tried a few which I could easily do without void my warranty (Which I still have, just 4 months over and my warranty is of one year) ... In all of that what changed was "Factory Reset" ... I first backed up my phone data to my PC and then factory reset .. The difference was that when I was in the start up process (Selecting the country, Language and all that) it was showing the normal charging battery icon ... But after that it turned back to "grey with an exclamation mark "!" in it" ... I removed the charger and then re-connected it, it was showing the normal charging battery icon and started to charge but after reaching 6% battery level charging stopped and the battery turned back to "grey with an exclamation mark "!" in it" ... And I tried removing and re-connecting the charger but nothing happens ... Please help ..!!! :'( Screenshot_2013-12-30-21-38-37.jpg Screenshot_2013-12-30-21-38-46.jpg <---- These are the screenshots, the red battery icon is when charger removed and grey battery icon when charger connected ... <<<< And this thread is My First so I`m sorry for any mistakes... :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-30-21-38-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-30-21-38-37.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!!

The heat from the blow dryer plus the fact that you put your phone back on the charger after it fell in water probably damaged something on the inside. Turning the phone off plus putting it in a bowl of rice for 2 days would have been the better route to get it to dry properly. At this point, a new device may be in order.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
so you plugged a wet electronic device to a power outlet and now want to know why your battery doesn't work?

i'd be surprised if your phone doesn't dance tango at this point.

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok... I'm sorry ... And I know it was my mistake connecting the charger just after an hour ... But when I noticed it (the grey icon) ... I searched Google and saw post suggesting the "rice" solution ... So, I even did that for one day ...

Posted via Android Central App

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Any other solution..?? Because I read in many threads to take out and clean up the battery surface which connects to the phone ... I'm now using the Android central app in my phone ... It works but the charging problem ... Until it's connected to the charger it works ... And now the charging level is coming up ... Before it was stuck at 6% but more at 11% ... And when I reconnect my charger, the phone gets charged a couple more % then the same grey battery with "!" Icon appears ....

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
your battery is most likely damaged.

i'd leave it for another day or two in rice to make sure there is no more moist on the inside and try again.

failing that you will need to take it in for repair.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
So, it's better to turn it off and leave it in the rice for 2-3 more days ... Right .. ??

it would be best.

you need to get completely rid of whatever moisture might be inside before using it.

and turn it off if you havent done so already.

there is no guarantee it will work again, though.

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Why do any of this if your phone is still under warranty? Just get it replaced before you do something to void your warranty.

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Why do any of this if your phone is still under warranty? Just get it replaced before you do something to void your warranty.
Point... I`ll contact them asap ... (Actually I live in UAE, so there are no carrier specific phones, I have to search for HTC Outlet near my place) ...

Anyways, this is my first thread and I`m happy to join Android Central .. Thanks everyone for your support and please feel free to suggest anything ... :) (Y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Anyways, this is my first thread and I`m happy to join Android Central .. Thanks everyone for your support and please feel free to suggest anything ... :) (Y)

Welcome to the forums.
Wish it was under much better circumstances. If you have insurance, I would consider filing a claim.

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Out of the rice now ... When I plugged in it first showed the same error of grey battery with "!" Icon ... But after sometime it started charging ... Charging now I'll update the result ... If it's ok or not ... Thanks for the help everyone ...

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Battery damaged and needs attention of Gandolf at this point.

Honestly though I think you need to take it in for service

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
**** ... !! Again the same error came ... Any suggestions ...??

Yeah, there isn't many more suggestions that anyone can really give. Like said before, the battery is probably damaged. Taking it in for repair is probably the best suggestion given. That or if you do have insurance, file a claim.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
**** ... !! Again the same error came ... Any suggestions ...??

Battery damaged and needs attention of Gandolf at this point.

Honestly though I think you need to take it in for service

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah, there isn't many more suggestions that anyone can really give. Like said before, the battery is probably damaged. Taking it in for repair is probably the best suggestion given. That or if you do have insurance, file a claim.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
As these guys said, taking it in for service is your only option at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles