HTC One: Here's the SKINNY on the infamous PURPLE TINT (thermal defect)

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My screen is fine, but there are a couple of nicks in the case. Am I going to have to pay for that, and if so, any idea how much it will cost?

BigBlueEdge

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
My screen is fine, but there are a couple of nicks in the case. Am I going to have to pay for that, and if so, any idea how much it will cost?

Couple of nicks is probably not a worry. If it was dropped and a corner was dented in or there was a noticeable dimple in the back from hitting something while in your pocket then maybe they'd throw a fuss. Mine had a couple small, light scratches on the back and one corner slightly dinged from a drop. Otherwise it was mostly like new.

Warren Imisides

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I had the pink tinge issue but have solved it.

I spent 5 minutes on the phone with HTC and basically gave up due to the inconvenience. If they were not willing to ship me a new phone sans proof or hoop jumping, on good faith, I wasn't going to waste time.

I solved the issue by strapping a small ice pack to the back of my phone and swapping it out every 4 hours or so. It's completely solved the problem.

When I replace my phone it won't be a HTC so I can stop carrying this esky around with me.

BigBlueEdge

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I had the pink tinge issue but have solved it.

I spent 5 minutes on the phone with HTC and basically gave up due to the inconvenience. If they were not willing to ship me a new phone sans proof or hoop jumping, on good faith, I wasn't going to waste time.

I solved the issue by strapping a small ice pack to the back of my phone and swapping it out every 4 hours or so. It's completely solved the problem.

When I replace my phone it won't be a HTC so I can stop carrying this esky around with me.

Yeah, wow, that sounds like an ordeal on the phone. Glad you held your ground when they didn't give you what you wanted. Your solution sounds innovative... post some pics of the ice pack setup.

:p

BigBlueEdge

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
My phone repair by HTC was successful. Sent it off on Friday the 2nd and got it back yesterday (13th). The camera issues have been fixed. The phone takes good pictures in low light situations again now. And when I turn the camera on and set the phone on a table the screen is mostly black. No charges by HTC. I'm a happy customer. :)

sonicdeathmunky

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Here's the SKINNY on the infamous PURPLE TINT (thremal defect)

Same here, I don't believe the issue is caused by ZOE as I have never used the feature, and my One M7 has been GPE for over a year now without access to any ZOE funtionality (purple haze only showed up a month ago).

e11world

May 24, 2014
Visit site

I GOT MINE FIXED!!!

After reading all the comments I thought I'd try my luck to send my HTC One M7 to htc for a repair. I called and emailed, got a ticket number and information describing the tint issue with the camera and they had the repair center in Toronto: FutureTel (HTC Authorized Repair Facility) (905)415-2388 570 ALDEN ROAD, UNIT 14 MARKHAM, ON, L3R-8N5. They said that once we receive the device, we'll analyze it and reply with the cost and then I have to get HTC company to waive the fees so they would either give me a number or contact FutureTel directly to do that part.

Sure enough, I backed my stuff up and formatted the device, sent the phone Friday morning (this was a few weeks ago sorry for the late reply). Used express so it gets there fast (from Vancouver) and it cost $15 only. The thing is they didn't update me on anything so the week after on Thursday I called FutureTel (6 days later or 4 business days later) and they said that we are shipping the device now. It has been fixed already. I didn't even get asked about paying them or anything. This was all taken care of and they shipped it express too so I got my phone on Saturday (even though stupid FedEx always tend to leave parcels outside my door for anyone to steal if no one answers the door).

Tried my camera and now it works just fine. Thank you HTC for the really good support. I guess I had a good experience and hoping to keep getting that in the future. Close to getting Lollipop updates from Rogers too so that is great news. I had this issue for over a year but wasn't always so bad but when it happens (night time usually) it just ruins everything. They really should do a recall or something like that. Hopefully this won't go bad too and not sure if I will use/turn on zoe if that's the cause. Not sure if I'm able to turn zoe off from there too.

Good luck to everyone else.

dr_java

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

e11world: Glad you had success. Was your phone other than stock & non-rooted?

Dragoonjefy

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I know this is an old thread.. but one that I've lurked on for some time.. I TOO have the same purple tint issue with my M7. It's been going on for almost 7 months now.. I actually called HTC a while back, with the support of what I was reading in the forums here, to try and persuade them to fix my phone.. Both online chat AND a phone call proved fruitless, as they claimed it was outside warranty.. Despite me refusing to accept this and arguing it was a KNOWN issue, I got nowhere.

The reason I am back today, is that yesterday, HTC hosted a live-stream AMA of sorts to announce their new 'uh-oh' plan for the upcoming HTC M9. I missed the live-stream, and was disappointed, because I was going to bring up (via twitter) the infamous PURPLE TINT issue with the M7.. and guess what?? Someone actually DID! Google for the video (first post here, I can't provide link); 24:18 is where it happens! HTC's "OFFICIAL" response?

"If you're suffering from purple tint, just give us a call at HTC and we'll take care of that for you.. So we'll cover that for you, we've been talking to people about that and taking care of those customers. So give us a call at HTC..."

Guess who's getting another phone call today!!! I'll update if I have any success.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you need to be under warranty for the repair, or do you think HTC will do the repair for free (since they will "take care of us")?

Dragoonjefy

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Do you need to be under warranty for the repair, or do you think HTC will do the repair for free (since they will "take care of us")?

Nope.. I just got off the phone, my M7 is well outside of warranty (I've owned it for 2yrs and 4 months now).. The person who took my call didn't argue at all concerning the tint. In fact, they provided me a UPS shipping label (via e-mail, I probably won't get it until Monday) and said that as long as that was the only issue, it would be covered.. So far so good!

irishflyer97

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
This thread gave me hope, so I contacted HTC support online, told them about the pink/purple tint, and they didn't argue. My M7 was out of warranty, and had a small crack in the side cover by the volume keys. They paid for the shipping, and I just got a phone back today. I didn't get my phone back, instead got a brand new M7....whiiiiich has the pink tint issue..lol. The phone is on 4.1, so will try updating it to 4.4 to see if anything changes, I tried the camera as soon as I turned it on, and it was like that, so wasn't very hot. Will try the freezer trick as well. I will admit other than this setback, their service has been pretty friendly and decent. A company who is trying to get market share can be that way.

Last edited:

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I sent mine in a couple days ago, it's there now "in repair" according to the site. I called the help line and they made it sound like I would have to pay for shipping, so I did to get it off ASAP and then I got a shipping label in my email later. I kind of hope I get a new m7 as the back button on mine stopped working (which I didn't mention as I figured they'd charge me a LOT out of warranty to fix that), but that sounds kinda rare and that most people have their original phones fixed and sent back.

But since they sent one with a purple tint issue as a replacement, maybe they'd be willing to actually repair it for you for free? It didn't exactly solve the issue that you sent it in for so.... shrug.

irishflyer97

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I sent mine in a couple days ago, it's there now "in repair" according to the site. I called the help line and they made it sound like I would have to pay for shipping, so I did to get it off ASAP and then I got a shipping label in my email later. I kind of hope I get a new m7 as the back button on mine stopped working (which I didn't mention as I figured they'd charge me a LOT out of warranty to fix that), but that sounds kinda rare and that most people have their original phones fixed and sent back.

But since they sent one with a purple tint issue as a replacement, maybe they'd be willing to actually repair it for you for free? It didn't exactly solve the issue that you sent it in for so.... shrug.

I hope so. I will talk to HTC chat today and get the story. I also noticed this phone is stuck on 4.1.2, and I cannot get it to update any further (used the regular AT&T UPDATE, software update, even clearing the Google Framework data several times to no avail....:/

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Spent an hour in a chat with them last night about our two phones. She has "escalated" the tickets, which means the repair department will be contacting me early next week. We will see what their response is. Otherwise, S6 here we come.

irishflyer97

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Thats the response I got, was an escalation. On the plus side, I have a brand new phone which I could probably sell, most people seem to accept the pink tinge and dont think they can do anything about it.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm going to see how they handle this. Three scenarios: (1) they fix the camera and we keep our M7's; (2) they fix them poorly; and, (3) they don't fix them at all. In 2 and 3, we will end up with new phones, probably the S6, and keep the M7's as backups.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank goodness I saw this thread! lol

I contacted them via online chat. Same issue as everyone else with the purple pics. Shipping label emailed to me. Going to repair or replace it.

Great service really. The phone was bought on launch day.

UPDATE:

Just received email. Backing up phone now, will mail out later today. woot.