Best Way to Get Music from iMac/iTunes to One

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Just got one. I connected it to my iMac and it downloaded an HTC app, which opened and started synching music from iTunes, which I stopped because I don't want iTunes to synch with my phone I just want to transfer what I want to the Phone (BIG iTunes library). Can someone instruct me in the best way to do that? 90% of the songs are unprotected MP3s. Thanks. Also: any way to transfer/play purchases from iTunes, specifically music videos, as well as music?

fleetfoot

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I use Doubletwist. I create a playlist in iTunes with all the songs I want on my phone. I have Doubletwist sync my playlist to my phone. This has worked on every phone I have had, Pre, Thunderbolt, Razr Maxx, HTC One and Moto X

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I use Doubletwist. I create a playlist in iTunes with all the songs I want on my phone. I have Doubletwist sync my playlist to my phone. This has worked on every phone I have had, Pre, Thunderbolt, Razr Maxx, HTC One and Moto X
Thanks! I see these in PlayStore: doubleTwist Music Player (new), doubleTwist Widgets, AirSync:iTunes Sync & Air Play (by doubletwist). I'm guessing it's the last one?

Last edited:

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I use Google Play-Music here....keeps it in the "cloud". I always stream it off WiFi anyways.
No, no clouds, no WiFi. Transfer album or PL from iTunes, store it on the phone. What the doubletwist reviewers complain about is having to pay for album art. I've got album art on all my iTunes music (copy from Amazon). I just want it to go with the songs. My Galaxy Nexus transfer app did most of the art, not all of it. It didn't let me transfer anything purchased in iTunes.

fleetfoot

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I should have been clearer. I use doubleTwist on the Mac with a USB cable plugged into the phone. I have also used AirSync on the phone with doubleTwist on the Mac.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It didn't let me transfer anything purchased in iTunes.
Anything at all purchased in iTunes? IIRC, they have DRM on their TV shows and movies and they had DRM on their songs up until some time in 2009. If the songs are from that time period you'll have to strip the DRM no matter what method you use. My guess is you'll have to find a way to strip the DRM off of TV shows and movies, too. I'm not aware of any syncing app that will do that for you, probably for legal reasons.

I don't have a One, but I've had good luck with iSyncr, myself. One nice thing it does is transfers Amazon MP3's from your phone back into iTunes when you sync.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I should have been clearer. I use doubleTwist on the Mac with a USB cable plugged into the phone. I have also used AirSync on the phone with doubleTwist on the Mac.
Ok thanks. I downloaded iSyncr to the phone, but I couldn't get it to work on the Mac. When I plugged it in USB nothing happened. But the HTC sych thing worked, it just took awhile to load my iTunes library. Once it did that I could transfer, and the album art is there. I'm not sure if I can transfer iTunes music videos with it or not. I have quite a few, and I don't think I could transfer them to my Galaxy Nexus with that program.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks. I downloaded iSyncr to the phone, but I couldn't get it to work on the Mac. When I plugged it in USB nothing happened. But the HTC sych thing worked, it just took awhile to load my iTunes library. Once it did that I could transfer, and the album art is there. I'm not sure if I can transfer iTunes music videos with it or not. I have quite a few, and I don't think I could transfer them to my Galaxy Nexus with that program.

did you download the desktop version of isyncr?

JRT Studio's iSyncr Syncs iTunes Libraries To Android Devices.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
A manual way of doing it is this:

select a playlist
Create a folder on your desktop
Select the playlist songs and drag to the desktop folder; iTunes should copy the actual mp3s into it
Export the playlist using the file menu.
You can now drag the whole playlist over to your HTC one and it should recognize the playlist and put them in order.

I do this, also use double twist but now mainly use Google play, which scans my iTunes folder. Shame you can only store 20gb of your own tunes though.

Posted via Android Central App

jmitr

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Shame you can only store 20gb of your own tunes though.

Posted via Android Central App
Ummm, no

From Google support:

Song storage limits for Google Play Music

You can add up to 20,000 songs (up to 300MB per song) to Google Play Music from your personal music collection using Music Manager. Once you've added your music through Music Manager, you can listen to it through the Google Play Music app and*on your computer.

Music purchased from the Google Play Store doesn't count towards your song limit.

So, technically 20,000 * 300mb = 6000 GB theoretical limit ( I highly doubt Evert track you upload will be 300mb but still, waaaaaaaay more than 20gb.

My original post included a link but I don't have 10 posts yet.

Edit:

If you upload your personal songs, while on Wi-Fi make a playlist and download that playlist to your device. Then, select "downloaded only" on your play music app and voila. If rooted, use play exporter to allow your downloaded music to be visible to HTC music player.