Weather app question

blue00

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first post. A month ago I upgraded from a basic phone to the HTC One. This is my first smartphone and I love it.

My question concerns the pre-installed weather app that comes with the phone. I have noticed that the very nice animations of the various weather patterns stutter at random intervals, particularly with conditions that involve clouds. The stuttering is subtle, not something that would jump in your face, and some users may not even notice it. But it is there, a frame or two skipping at a time, quite random, and I was wondering if this is a result of hardware limitations, or more likely a result of software implementation or too much software bloating. More importantly, is there a way to fix it?

Thank you.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first post. A month ago I upgraded from a basic phone to the HTC One. This is my first smartphone and I love it.

My question concerns the pre-installed weather app that comes with the phone. I have noticed that the very nice animations of the various weather patterns stutter at random intervals, particularly with conditions that involve clouds. The stuttering is subtle, not something that would jump in your face, and some users may not even notice it. But it is there, a frame or two skipping at a time, quite random, and I was wondering if this is a result of hardware limitations, or more likely a result of software implementation or too much software bloating. More importantly, is there a way to fix it?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums.
It may also be a bug in the widget that never got noticed, and therefore never got fixed. Is the stutter always in the same spot?

blue00

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome. The stuttering is not in the same spot. It is quite random. I notice that once I get into the app, for the first second of two there is some noticeable stuttering but this is normal as the phone is acquiring the data for my region, etc. But once you have the app open for a while, there are frame drops every couple of seconds, but it is entirely random. It could be after five seconds, or ten, no particular rhythm. As I wrote, it is most noticeable on conditions that involve moving clouds.

It could be just the software, I agree, as I doubt that this is caused by hardware limitations with the specs that this phone has. I also checked other HTC Ones at various stores, even with a different carrier, and this subtle stuttering is there on those phones as well so it is not just mine. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed it.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you are referring to the point where every animation reloads or restarts? Everyone is just a few seconds long.

I've never noticed it outside of the point when the animation starts again. I'm running 4.4 with the latest OTA (18x mb) that was released a couple of weeks back.

blue00

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you are referring to the point where every animation reloads or restarts? Everyone is just a few seconds long.

I've never noticed it outside of the point when the animation starts again. I'm running 4.4 with the latest OTA (18x mb) that was released a couple of weeks back.

Nice point. Also a possibility.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
It takes a lot of computing and data to download an image in motion. I use WeatherBug, a great weather app. If I select the radar in motion, I'll see the stuttering of images for several seconds (on WiFi or LTE) before a smooth motion is shown. Try looking at radar in motion with a slower network, like the 1X speed we got with VZW roaming in western MD, and it can take five to ten minutes to get a smooth image.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech