Day 5 on HTC One, may go back to Windows

cristianocr7

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Love the phone but cannot figure out why I get no Facebook notifications. ESPN, Twitter, weather all work great!

The email is all clustered. Prefer layout on Windows phone.
I Love all the features of this phone, look and feel but seriously - coming from iPhone to Widows, I cannot say Android is any better than Windows at this point.
My contacts pictures keep disappearing. No emoji icons in stock messaging app?
Windows is much easier to drag and drop music files.

I have one more week to decide what to do but for simplicity purposes, Windows phone worked (with the exception of FB notifications). I was bored with the lack of apps in Windows,which is why I am trying this device.

If anyone has any idea to to fix FB notifications on this device, that would be great. I have notifications set for FB Home, in the app too. Called Verizon and they told me to go into the store.

Jeepee418

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
For the contacts pictures it's probably due to the 4.3 update there's many post on this I've got the same problem hope for a fix on next update..

Posted via Android Central App

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
it is difficult to understand what do you mean by "facebook notifications". perhaps you should go to the store and explain to someone there exactly what it is you want.

there are two types of notifications:

1. PUSH

2. IN-APP

Facebook app only does IN-APP notifications - ie: a little number in a red orb will notify you of content update that is relevant to you when you open the app. That little number shows on the top bar of the app.

Push notifications - alerts that pop-up on your phone and/or lock screen when the app is closed are only reserved for the Facebook Messenger app and limited to notifying you about new facebook private messages. This, you don't want.

the stock keyboard has emojis which you can use in your messaging app.

are you using AFT to drag and drop music? i don't see how it can get any easier than litteraly dragging a file to and from a PC...

as for email, and/or messaging, there are other third-party apps in the play store which you can try if you do not like the stock apps. this is your chance to "un-bore" yourself with all the play store has to offer.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't want to turn this into a vs. topic but Android is much better than WP.
1. There are many mail apps if you don't like the stock one.
2. Never heard of that. I don't have any problems with disappearing photos.
3. What do you mean drag and drop? When connected through usb for example? It can't be easier than that.

Facebook app only does IN-APP notifications - ie: a little number in a red orb will notify you of content update that is relevant to you when you open the app. That little number shows on the top bar of the app.

Push notifications - alerts that pop-up on your phone and/or lock screen when the app is closed are only reserved for the Facebook Messenger app and limited to notifying you about new facebook private messages. This, you don't want.

That's not true. You don't need the Messenger for push notifications.
They should work just fine.

For the OP, as I said in the other topic you opened you must be doing something wrong. Check your settings, uninstall, re-install the app, check your FB settings in your computer browser etc.
And as we are talking about notifications, in WP they are attrocious (at least they were until last time I checked, before the latest update).

morami

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I am on Sprint and have unlimited texting and this is what I did to get notifications from Facebook :
In the Facebook app go to
ACCOUNT SETTINGS
TEXT MESSAGING
There you can play with what you want to get notified for.
Hope it helps. Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't Facebook still have the option of persistent notifications in the shade in the form of a grayed out globe? I stopped getting notifications also but just figured it was because I turned that off.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the Facebook Beta community on Google+ and receive Beta updates. Sometimes, push notifications works for ALL notifications like comments, likes and tags. Other times, it just notifies you on SOME of those. It changes from build to build. I don't know about the stable release because I haven't used it since I joined the beta group.

Mail on Windows Phone is great. If you use a Microsoft account, try the Outlook app which is similar. I use the stock mail app for my Microsoft account and it works well and I got used to it. The only thing it doesn't have is a "fit to width" feature, it fits content to width while on landscape only.

Windows Phone is the best on contacts management but I have found the stock app to be better than most Android phones. I hid all accounts and only selected my Microsoft account. Doing this, I can only see contacts on that account but the linking and other account integration (WhatsApp, Skype, Facebook, for example) is shown on their details. There is a setting to allow picture downloads only on Wi-Fi or Cellular.

As to why your contact pictures are disappearing, I don't know. It could be a bug, so try doing a factory reset and see if they don't disappear after that.

cristianocr7

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I do not exactly what I did but....everything is working like a charm. I am guessing that after I disabled and deleted Facebook Home, I get all my notifications. My pictures are all there in my contacts. Yes, Windows is good for some things, but overall......I recant on my previous statement...HTC and Android does rock! I am truely loving this! Thank you for help, comments and suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781