HTC One 4.3 Lag problems

Borse2008

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
So been using the HTC one for a while now. Love it but things starting to really annoy me. Just want to see what others are doing. I don't have a tonne of apps installed just the normal social apps and some everyday stuff like eBay.
I have SwiftKey and clean master. Have already restored the phone. I'm running the latest revision of the software.

The phone lags when switching between apps, going into and composing messages. Things like that. I do regularly reboot the handset but often comes back. Bar that phone is awesome. Will 4.4 fix this? Anything you guys want me to check.

Carrier is three UK
HTC one standard edition.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I get a lot of lag while typing, using any keyboard including the much loved swiftkey.

I found it was the keyboard sound causing the problem. Turned sound (and vibration) off and typing sped up to how it should be.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
You could also try using the free app "Clean Master" periodically to rid your device of cached files and things running in the background you don't need. You don't need a task killer, as a matter of fact I do NOT recommend using one for Android, but that doesn't mean sometimes apps stay running in the background when they shouldn't be. Also, like any computer operating system, the longer you use the phone the more cache files pile up. Many of these are no longer needed because they become stale and outdated but as long as they are there the OS will look through the cache before performing a GET action for new data. A large, stale cache can really slow down an app or OS response to input.

This is just basic maintenance that any operating system needs once in a while. A cold shutdown/restart of the phone once in a while can also help restore functionality (not just a warm reboot, a power off shutdown).

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
have you found any apps using unusually high amounts of memory? clean master will show you this.

keep in mind that whilst rebooting the phone every once in a while can help (especially if you make lots of changes to your phone settings or delete/add apps constantly) it will also clear all the memory which is used precisely to increase the speed of your commonly used apps.

the cache also exists to improve performance by allowing your SDD quick access to your app's settings and so forth. constantly deleting this won't help.

android 4.3 and above features TRIM which will periodically scan your drive for old / leftover data and delete it to improve performance as well as freeing space in your drive. android 4.4 does require a smaller memory footprint to run so it should help with your problem.

so my advice to you is to monitor your apps to determine which one is taking up a lot of memory. sometimes these ask for permissions to launch upon a phone restart so it would make little difference doing this often; and you should clear caches only as a fix to an app that is not working as intended - this could happen when an app gets upgraded and the old cache doesn't apply anymore yet remains there to be read.

jason_bourne

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Same thing started happening with mine today! When I click home it takes my background picture and apps a couple of seconds to load, never did that before. Gonna try restoring it.

Borse2008

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
So turned on the vibrations. Still no different. It's more when your typing long sentences on through messages and it stutters for a few seconds then catches up. Exiting apps and returning to the app you need to be in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

duncanduncan

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Borse 2008 - I have the exact same problem. I am used to the fast typing with the previous keyboard before the major system update. After the update, I had to slow down my typing and wait for the keyboard to respond to my typing and finish the words before I continue. I'm at 4.4.2 now.

Uldis

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Did anyone find a solution. I was so happy with my phone but now typing sucks big time - I can't type fast as it lags behind creating all sorts of distorted texts :( Before 4.2 it was totally different experience.