HTC ONE gets <<extremely>> hot. Help please!!!

Jagath Prasanna

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I have been using HTC one international unlocked version (purchased in the US and using in India) since April-2013. Also I have been using the samsung's car charger to charge my ONE without any issues. All was well till last week when i removed the phone from my car charger, and the phone was extremely hot (50c+ on gsam); i could hardly hold the phone. Since then, battery life is extremely bad. The battery which used to last for one full day with heavy usage now hardly gets me through 6-8 hrs with minimal usage. Also the battery gets very hot and the battery drain is very rapid when there is some network activity (voice calls or 3G). (Scared to keep it in my pocket or anywhere close to my body :p)

The same on airplane mode or without any network activity leaves the phone cold and the battery drain is negligible. feels like the phone has no issues.

Tried to factory reset (wipe cache), calibrate the battery, battery saver apps, powersaver mode.. nothing works... :'(

Not sure if i have to get the battery replaced or the phone radios replaced.

Contacted the HTC service center in chennai, India, they asked me to change the battery and give it a shot. if that does not work then they asked me to changed the mother board and check :confused: They are not so sure if it can solve the problem. And since my phone is not under international warranty, every time the HTC service opens the phone, they charge 800INR and replacing the parts would incur additional cost.

Let me know what do i have to do?? Has anyone had the same or similar issue? Change the battery or motherboard or network module or ...??

Help plz... This is getting me worried. Such a beautiful phone and trying hard not to use to get me through the day at office. :'(

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Does sound like a battery issue, it could be something else but I'm leaning more towards the battery.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
2 things are really bad for Li-Ion batteries, extreme low voltage and extreme heat.
Its possible your device had an app or something that caused the processor to run at full while you were charging. The longer the unit was super heated the more likely you have caused damage to the battery. Once the battery starts to chemically break down it will have less and less capacity. It will also start to bloat from the gasses that build up from the breakdown. Unfortunately the devices have an aluminum case and its hard for us to know if thats happening or not.
Right now the only way to know for sure is to take it apart or send it in.

One option is to factory reset the unit and then set it up from scratch. You might have an app that is causing battery issues but there are still to many unknowns to determine fully if its a bad battery, unit problem, or software issue.

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site
That is awesome that you could get through a full day with heavy usage! Wowzers! Sometimes my car charger makes my phone hot... It has done this with most smartphones I have owned, especially when talking/using Gps whilst charging. You should get a vent clip so you can have your ac running on it or just stick it near the vent when charging while talking/streaming/etc...

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Jagath Prasanna

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
That is awesome that you could get through a full day with heavy usage! Wowzers! Sometimes my car charger makes my phone hot... It has done this with most smartphones I have owned, especially when talking/using Gps whilst charging. You should get a vent clip so you can have your ac running on it or just stick it near the vent when charging while talking/streaming/etc...

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Sure i will get the vent mount. But the damage has already been done.. :( i think i will change the battery and give it a shot

Jagath Prasanna

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Quick update:

I tested the battery with the HTC's battery diaognastic tool using the code *#*#3424#*#*. HTC tests screen on time with full brightness for one hour from 100% in airplane mode. By the end of the test my battery was at 86% which was excellent. So i guess the battery health is good. There is some other problem due to phone radios..!! any inputs on this folks?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084