HTC ONE - HUGE MEMORY HOG. Phone itself using 1.6GIGS RAM (of 1.7).

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTC ONE and I've got a problem that has STUMPED WIRELESSWAVE, and BELL.

After 2 HOURS on BELL customer service, we have been unable to determine why my cell phone is using 1.6GIGS (of it's 1.7GIGS MAX) RAM just by itself without other apps running.

I bought this phone brand new in August of 2013 (so around 6 months ago) and recently (approx 2 weeks ago), my browser would just suddenly CLOSE with no warning. Everytime I now go into Facebook (the desktop web page), the moment it is just about to fully load, it CLOSES the window returning back to the HTC HOMEPAGE (as if I clicked the HOME button on the phone). Then when I return to the browser, it's RESET back to "BELL.CA's website".

I figured it was just the internal default browser so I tried CHROME and it too suddenly stops without any messages or warning. It happens on other sites where there are lots of things on the page. If I load the Weather App and go to view the website it loads for details on the weather selected, it too crashes.

Wireless wave told me nothing could be done and to RESET the phone completely. I figured perhaps it was a MEMORY issue and when I looked at what was running, I was SHOCKED because the FACTORY loaded programs was using 1.6GIGS however the amount shown was worth around 700Megs. The bar on my RAM is a hairline before the end of it's capacity.. Makes so sense! I ran a virus check and nothing is being found. BELL support had me install WATCHDOG LITE which made it easier to see what's running and they said they were stumped what's taking up all the RAM.

Android System - 88MB
com.modidia.android.mdm:remote - 34MB
HTC Sense - 60MB
System UI - 54MB
Google Services Framework - 33MB
Android media process - 31MB
Dialer - 43MB
Nfc Service - 31MB
No lock screen - 34MB
Phone - 42MB
Google Play Store - 32MB
HTC Sense Input - 33MB
com.android.nfc.handover - 30MB
com.google.process.location - 38MB
Google Play Services - 33MB
Cyberon Voice Commander - 30MB

WatchDog Lite - 46MB
Antivirus - 36MB

Those two above make NO difference if I close them in the "Force Stop".

I've even SHUTDOWN the phone, waited 30 seconds and turned it back on. Nothing. Deleted Cache, and still nothing..

Help

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Are you having problems that specifically mention memory, or do you just not like the high number?

The OS should free up memory when needed, and may simply be using a lot of memory for cache, etc. I don't know what my memory usage is, but I will check...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I understand the problem. However, I was curious if there has been any indication of other issues... I would actually do as suggested above, but with the symptoms I am curious about anything that could target the culprit . In my mind the main issue isn't how much memory is used, but if it is really a memory issue, what is causing the OS to not free the needed memory.

What version of Android are you running?

To be honest, my gut feel is a bad chip, but you would probably need to do a factory reset to confirm that.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

MrVahn

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
My phone only use less than 1 gb brand new, and after some customization and use it ended up with around 1,2 but with no problem of lagging. So it is good for me.
Try do a factory reset.

Sent from my HTC One dual sim using AC Forums mobile app

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why everyone is saying to just do a factory reset like it's no big deal. ERASING everything and starting over IS a big deal to me. I've got 6 months worth of contacts, pictures, video's, and messages, some VERY important to me.

That's like telling someone to FORMAT their harddrive on their computer and see if that fixes there browser issue.. UGH!!

Google Gmail is set to synch but that doesn't save your SMC, Video's nor pictures. Nor your recording audio..

I'm trying G CLOUD and paid the $29.90 but it isn't saving ANY of the contacts (100), and is BYPASSING some of the SMC messages such as those that were EVER moved to a secure catagory.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
you need to understand that RAM usage (regardless of how high it is) is not a proper indication of the problem you are having.

RAM is supposed to be used and modern operating systems and apps will use the RAM they need and they stay in memory until another app needs the memory they are using.

it is not a problem if your phone is using 80 or even 90% of its memory. in fact, its normal. it is designed this way to improve performance and battery, since recently used apps don't have to load all over again from scratch.

*however*

this does not mean your apps should crash upon startup. this implies they do not have enough available memory to launch and that there is one app or system that is either in a loop or holding on to its RAM allocation. perhaps you have a poorly written app running.

there are many possible things here:

1. your phone's memory is damanged

2. your system is corrupt

3. an app you've installed is poorly written.

number 3 you can solve by removing the app and running a cleaner on your phone to delete old cache and junk files. perhaps it could even help with point 2. if it doesn't, you'll need to reset to factory settings.

if it is point 1 (unlikely, unless your phone crashes or reboots when in standby), you'll have to take your phone in for repairs.

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

How would I determine what app? I don't have many apps installed other than the ones that are factory put on by BELL and cannot be deleted. What cleaner would you suggest? I'm going to video tape my phone and upload to youtube to show exactly what is happening.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
my htc one only using about 800 megs I do t know what you ha e but I think that it's a rogue app.

Posted via Android Central App

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why everyone is saying to just do a factory reset like it's no big deal. ERASING everything and starting over IS a big deal to me. I've got 6 months worth of contacts, pictures, video's, and messages, some VERY important to me.

That's like telling someone to FORMAT their harddrive on their computer and see if that fixes there browser issue.. UGH!!

Google Gmail is set to synch but that doesn't save your SMC, Video's nor pictures. Nor your recording audio..

I'm trying G CLOUD and paid the $29.90 but it isn't saving ANY of the contacts (100), and is BYPASSING some of the SMC messages such as those that were EVER moved to a secure catagory.

If these things are of value to you, why wouldn't you back them up?

Posted via Android Central App

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how to didn't read what I wrote.

I HAVE been trying to but it won't back up my contacts or any of the SMC messages if there were EVER set to "Secure" in the past.

Buffster5505

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

How would I determine what app? I don't have many apps installed other than the ones that are factory put on by BELL and cannot be deleted. What cleaner would you suggest? I'm going to video tape my phone and upload to youtube to show exactly what is happening.

Paul, you can disable any and all the bloatware you want with 4.4

Go to manage apps and disable anything you want. It will not load those apps when you reboot. Most probably saving your memory.

B

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a bit of a headscratcher. Of the running apps in that list you showed, the only one I can think of disabling would be the NFC Service (assuming you don't use any NFC features).

I agree that a factory data reset is a big pain in the behind, but sometimes it's necessary. If you're concerned about backing up your videos and photos, have you tried copying them over to your computer by connecting the phone up using the USB cable? Contacts should automatically sync to your Google account (as long as they were entered into the Google Account, and not into the Phone Account)--are you saying that these won't even sync to Google? SMS messages are harder to back up--there are 3rd party apps that can do it, but considering the problems you're having with system apps, they might not work that well.

You could see if wiping the system cache partition is possible on your version of the One. Wiping this partition can sometimes clear out bad bits of temporary data in the system cache that could cause glitches. You won't lose any personal data or settings. Keep in mind that this procedure might not be available on your version: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-6526

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Something else to consider is to boot your phone into Safe Mode, which disables all 3rd party apps. This is a broad diagnostic tool which can at least narrow down the problem to some 3rd party app or something with the system (or hardware). If the problems disappear with Safe Mode, then it's likely to be something you installed. If the problems persist, then you probably need to do that factory data reset, or contact HTC for possible warranty replacement.

Safe Mode - HTC One®

longsock123

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Try cleanermaster from the Play store and clean cache, junk files, and clear memory. Make sure to go into protected apps and uncheck some of them so they get cleaned. Sorry you're having trouble! It must suck.

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
GOOD NEWS.

WORKS NOW.. How did I fix it? Actually I don't know.. I Held down the power button to fully shut down the phone and turned it back on. Went to all the trouble to set up a camera on a tripod, set up the camera, focus and proceeded to VIDEO the problem. Immediately noticed when I went into facebook it DIDN'T do it!

So I went into the Weather app site where it would immediately crash before it would display the HOURLY listing.. And it too worked.. So I proceeded to video the 1.6GB of 1.7GB and to my surprize I discovered WHY it was no longer doing it.. Only 678megs being used now..

So far, 3 hours later.. No problems.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's good to hear. I had assumed you had already tried a reboot, but I guess you hadn't! Rebooting is often the first thing to try--if there's some app that's misbehaving, that can stop it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm