T-Mobile KitKat Update - Alarm Clock

2plus2equals4

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Just received the KitKat update on Friday.

I like turning my phone off while I sleep to conserve battery power. Prior to the update, the alarm clock would turn my phone back on.

My phone no longer does this. It stays off even though there's an alarm clock set, and I overslept today.

Wtf, and how do I fix this?

anon(8481482)

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Didn't think TMobile had released the update yet.....I've had my alarms go off after turning the phone off also. Never used it but thought it was a nice feature.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just received the KitKat update on Friday.

I like turning my phone off while I sleep to conserve battery power. Prior to the update, the alarm clock would turn my phone back on.

My phone no longer does this. It stays off even though there's an alarm clock set, and I overslept today.

Wtf, and how do I fix this?
I wasn't aware that you could turn off the device and have it turn back on with a set alarm. What you can do is disable mobile data while you are sleeping. This will also conserve battery and should help a lot overnight.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah once the phone has been completely turned off it wont turn on with an app, as the device is OFF.
Maybe the OP means in standby mode..

anon(8481482)

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Just checked...set an alarm for 2 minutes later...turned off phone....phone turned on and the alarm went off. I am still on 4.3 (TMobile). The OP is saying when updated to Kit Kay he lost this ability. It happens when using the sense clock .

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It's not an app the phone its self would turn on if it was off when an alarm was set. I liked this cause I thought I'd always be covered, but never practiced it. That sucks if this is gone in 4.4.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Listen up everybody. I was wrong. LOL
The OP is correct. Im on a stock TMO unit with 4.3 and with stock Clock / alarm app if you set an alarm and turn OFF the phone (press hold power button, turn off phone) the phone will come back on and the alarm does indeed go off.
SORRY Op for my previous post stating when a phone is off, its off. Apparently its Not all the way off as something has to run to tell it to turn back on.
When 4.4 officially comes back to TMO ill test on mine and follow up.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Listen up everybody. I was wrong. LOL
The OP is correct. Im on a stock TMO unit with 4.3 and with stock Clock / alarm app if you set an alarm and turn OFF the phone (press hold power button, turn off phone) the phone will come back on and the alarm does indeed go off.
SORRY Op for my previous post stating when a phone is off, its off. Apparently its Not all the way off as something has to run to tell it to turn back on.
When 4.4 officially comes back to TMO ill test on mine and follow up.

Haha what? That's a very funky feature. If anyone on 4.4 with Verizon/Tmobile/Sprint would like to test this out please post results!

Davethebrewer

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Interesting.

Sprint HTC One, still on 4.3 The phone will indeed power back on at the alarm time and sound the alarm. It powered up in Airplane mode even though it was not in that mode when turned off. After dismissing the alarm and unlocking the screen a message pops up asking if you want to turn off Airplane mode and turn the phone back off. I hit Cancel instead and had to manually turn off Airplane mode.

I will try to remember to test again when I decide to upgrade to 4.4

213strange

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm once I updated my ONE on Sprint to Kitkat 4.4/Sense 5.5 that alarm feature is gone. Sucks because I used it every night.

amitava

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely, this happened to me also. With 4.3 I used to switch off my HTC One and it used to automatically switch on itself with the alarm. But with 4.4 that functionality is gone.

pdg1fr

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've just upgraded my HTC one to Kitkat.
the feature has gone. so sad. It was integrated in the cell phone for so many years. Why did they stop ?

zanga zanga

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Jee, this REALLY sucks. I've been using this feature for ages and I don't like the idea of NOT switching the phone @Night (Battery saving and electronic interference nightly "Pause"). I really hate the idea of beeing forced to keep the phone switched on by night. WTF.
Besides, this happened with no notification so far. I overslept on Monday and got badly chewed out by my boss. "My Alarm did not go off this morning due to an Android Automatic Update" sounded like a really lame excuse :(

Dj Blackeye

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
yeah what absolute wankers...

loved android ..... has apple bought a share in it?...

ridiculous, was perfect before, now is an absolute nightmare...

seriously .. has apple bought Android?

gorby65

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
As I use my phone as an alarm I charge it at night on my bedside table. When I go to bed I put phone in do not disturb mode. The alarm still works.

Kevin Ch

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey, has anyone found a solution yet? I also did use this feature for a long time and it's now gone with kitkat. Overslept twice this week. Really sucks.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You can easily put your phone into airplane mode and set an alarm and leave it on.
Doing this with out being plugged in would only drain a percent or two over night.
I dont know why the feature was removed but on the flip side there are plenty of ways to set an alarm and turn everything else off to save battery life, which is what im assuming you were trying to do in the first place.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey, has anyone found a solution yet? I also did use this feature for a long time and it's now gone with kitkat. Overslept twice this week. Really sucks.

i have used SOUND PROFILE since i switched from blackberry to the htc one last year. the interface is hideous, but i love it. it's the closest thing to the BB experience of quickly switching profiles depending on where i am/what i am doing. i made a 'sleep' mode which sets email and text notifications to silent but leaves the ringer on (i use a very quiet ring tone that rarely wakes me).

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ore/apps/details?id=Orion.Soft&token=dUqtp5wu

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC