Categorizing emails as "Favorites"

litig8or98

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I had previously posted this question in the "Kitkat" forum, however didn't receive any response. I was later told that the email client is an HTC Sense creature, not Android, so I'm reposting the question here.

I'm carrying an HTC One running Kitkat. I note that the stock email client has a "Favourites" window if I swipe left. Currently, I have only one email in that area, though I don't know how I got it there. More importantly, I don't know how to get others there. There doesn't seem to be an option to mark the email as a "favourite", nor anything else that would be obvious. I've searched around, and noticed that someone asked this very same question on another Android forum, however it doesn't look like they ever got an answer.

I did notice that within Outlook (on my desktop) I can categorize emails as "HTC Favourite"; I tried that with a couple of test emails, but that doesn't seem to have moved the emails over to that "tab". I don't know how the "HTC Favourites" category came into being, but I assume it occurred once I started using the One with my existing Outlook. I also note that Jerry ran an "Android 101" some time back about favouriting contacts. As a coincidence, the one email I have in "Favourites" is from my wife, who I note is also categorized in my Outlook as an "HTC Favourite". How my phone, Android, or Outlook new to categoize my wife as a favourite, I don't know. A bit presumptuous, perhaps, but it works. Could it be that because she is a "favourite" contact, that her emails are automatically "favourited"? Is there another way to move emails over to "favourites", particularly without favouriting the contact?

Edit: I've now figured out that the contacts marked "HTC Favourites" happen to be those contacts for whom I created a speed dial entry...so that mystery is solved.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
your contacts in the native phone app can be assigned to different groups (family, friends, acquaintances, etc.) that will be sorted accordingly in your phone's *group* tab. just edit a contact and you'll see the option to put it into an existing group.

one of these groups is *favourites*. by placing a contact under that group it will be placed on its own *favourites* tab and his/her emails will show in your native mail app's *favourite* tab as well.

whilst you can create and edit many of these groups, some are there by default - such as favourites. it has nothing to do with outlook in fact if you chose to sync with gmail you will see the same groups you create in your htc one will show on there as well, and allow you to edit these groups as well as assign them to different people in your gmail contact list.

hope this clears it up for you.

edit: and no, there is currently no other way to manually move emails into favourites in the native mail app.

litig8or98

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the thorough response.

Too bad I can't simply "favorite" an individual email. Where I thought it would be handy was for stuff like over the last couple of weeks, where I was expecting a few packages. When you receive an email with a tracking number and link, it would be handy to be able to simply get back to that email quickly. I'm certainly not going to add some random shipping department to my address book, much less make them a favorite.

But again, thanks.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
think of it as "emails from favourite people" rather than "favourite emails"..

and ya not as flexible i suppose but that's how it was designed.

what you can do is mark an email as *unread*. it will place it in the unread tab on its own. i have that as my first tab.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That's a good idea. On I should have had on my own. Thanks again.
Thanks for popping back in and posting your finding - it is helpful for anyone else looking for similar help in the future.

think of it as "emails from favourite people" rather than "favourite emails"..

and ya not as flexible i suppose but that's how it was designed.

what you can do is mark an email as *unread*. it will place it in the unread tab on its own. i have that as my first tab.

Is there not away to Star an email as you can with Gmail? I don't have the phone, so just throwing that out there just in case there is. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670