HTC One: Loudspeaker turns on automatically when placing a call

johnabenna

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have a HTC One (bought in Thailand). When I dial a number and press 'call', the loudspeaker sometimes turns on automatically by itself.

At first I thought maybe my ear/cheek was pressing against the screen but sometimes even if I dial a number with the phone flat on a table, it will do this.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

In addition, I was an Apply guy before my HTC (which I would never go back to Apple now...), so I am not au fait with the tech lingo. When I read websites and it talks about Play Edition... or Google Edition. What does it mean? How do I find out which 'type' of HTC One I have?

Thanks, JB.

Last edited by a moderator:

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have heard more than a few people complain about this issue, both on stock 4.4.x, and those running custom Roms. I think it may be a bug in KitKat.

HTC One, Unlocked, S-off, Super CID, ARHD ROM, ElementalX Kernel

Grahams_Boy

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue and I'm still on 4.3. I've had the phone a week and its happened twice, once when I wasn't even holding the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Poodieman

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks, I've got the same problem. I'd love to know what the solution is. I've not installed any software updates. I've had the phone for over a year, never had any problems. It could just be me being daft, but whatever the case, I'd like it to stop happening! ie: I don't want the default to be "Loudspeaker" when I make a call. Not sure how to change that in settings.

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Since hearing about this problem a few weeks ago but taking no notice (since most people seemed to be complaining about it happening on 4.4), I had it happen to me the other day. I'm on 4.3. Maybe it was just me accidentally pressing it with my cheek, but I've never done it before (and I make a lot of calls).

MoshuXXL

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read on another thread here seems that the speakerphone turning itself on by default on call is an issue generated by a Chrome update and not something related to HTC's Sense or KitKat. There are numerous reports from users which have different phones and versions of Android. People that have unistalled Chrome updates or have disabled it don't have the speakerphone problem anymore.

Grahams_Boy

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Did it again yesterday and damn near blew my eardrum! Did a full reset last night so I'll see if that's helped at all.

shider

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Did it again yesterday and damn near blew my eardrum! Did a full reset last night so I'll see if that's helped at all.

Reset will not help you. Uninstall the latest update of Chrome and disable auto updating. Chrome contains a bug that turns on the speakerphone.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've installed Chrome Beta (which is version 34). and it works great. I won't use the regular Chrome that is causing the issue until an update comes out..... ;)

vfp5

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Got the chrome update and still getting the speakerphone issue. Also, battery seems to be negatively impacted...chrome using 44%?? Anyone else see ing this?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

DrGipster

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I read a few threads on here and long story short I posted my findings and am trying to spread them. A little while ago an update for the Facebook app came out and ever since I have been having the same issue with speakerphone turning on automatically. After uninstalling the updates on the Facebook app I no longer am having that issue. Hopefully that helps.