HTC One Mini: messaging problem

rickyjohn

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
So, I've owned a HTC one for a while, all good!

I convinced my wife to move to a HTC one mini from iPhone. We've imported all her iPhone data from the iPhone backup via the HTC transfer manager software. All good so far, all her contacts, messages , photos now on her mini.

Here is the problem. When she received texts from certain people, me included, in the recipients lists at the top of her text message it shows as if it came from a group message/multiple people. So it shows 4 people in the recipient list, me and three others! She can't reply to the text as obviously all 4 recipients would receive it. In fact she has done that by mistake several times! It's not just texts from me though. She had one off a friend and the text shows 9 people in the recipients box!! So When she typed in a reply and sent it, it went to all 9 as she hadn't realised it was listing 9 people. It Is totallly bizarre. I've checked the details of the contacts in question and its not as if there are 9 numbers stored against the contact, just one.

Likewise, i have checked and there are no groups set up in the contacts lists that I thought maybe the phone was mistaking the text as being from. She also has no other group texts conversations from the people in question.

It's as if the phone is mistaking certain incoming texts as from multiple contacts not just the one, but all the contacts look ok, so I'm guessing something is wrong in the text side of things rather than the contacts.

I've tried copying the contacts to the Google account from the phone, then only listing Google contacts on the phone instead of phone contacts, but no change.

Help!!!

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

cowleych

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Rickyjohn, I have a very similar problem so am really hoping somebody helps you out here. I hope you don't mind me adding details of my problem but I think it may help as the issue sounds the same.

I have a HTC One (converted from iphone) running 4.3 and when I receive an SMS from one particular person (Person 1) it shows as it it has been sent from this person and another person I know (Person 2). If I forget about the issue and simply reply to the SMS from Person 1, Person 2 will also get the reply. I need to start a new message back to Person 1 as a work around.

I can't see how Person 1 and Person 2 are related in my contacts... no linking that I can see. I've held Person 1's phone (iphone) and sent myself a test to ensure they aren't initiating a group message and they are not. This problem will happen in the stock messaging app and also Go SMS Pro.

rickyjohn

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi, that is my exact problem, to the letter. As it happens I am person 1 in your scenario and it is my wife who is the one with the problem, so I can send several test messages. Every time I do she sees the text as being from person 1 (me) and person 2, person 3 and person 4. She also forgets and replies and it goes back to all 4, and has to start a new message so it only goes back to the person she wants.

It is not just texts from me though, there is another person she received texts of and that appears with 9 people in the distribution list!

Out of interest, is it only one person who you receive texts off that causes the problem or various people?

rickyjohn

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Cowleych. Have fixed it. Tried deleting and adding the contact again to no avail. What you have to do is delete the entire thread. Then any new messages appear from the correct person

cowleych

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Rickyjon... very frustrating problem.

It only happens when I get a message from Person 1... I deleted the whole message thread as you suggested but this didn't work for me. The next text message from Person 1 came showing it again grouped as Person 1 and Person 2.

Anybody else out there got any ideas? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37