HTC One: Static noise issues

Sebastian Berg

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi I have searched for an answer but cannot find a good solution.
When I use my original in-ear HTC Beats headphones (same problem with the new originals as the one received with the phone), I hear a static background noise. It has been described in other treads but no one has found a solution nor directly describes my problem.
There is one tread here that describe the problem https://forums.motorola.com/posts/ac722a7dfa?page=1, but they cannot recreate the issue.
I've found that my background noise comes from the headset mic. The static noise comes as soon as I've talked to someone and hang up. This problem never arises when using headphones without a mic. When I pause or stop the music the noise disappears after around 2-3 seconds, but enables again when pushing play.
It is like the phone does not turn off the mic after using it. If I restart the phone the background/mic noise is gone.
I've tried HTC internal player and PowerAMP, same issue. Turning ON and OFF Beats lower the noise but it does not remove it.
Have someone else experienced this issue? I am almost certain that this is a software issue.
Regards Sebastian

Last edited by a moderator:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Static nosie issues

This sounds like the issue another poster has complained about over at the carrier specific thread for the Verizon HTC One. In that post the poster describes how the mic is staying on after a call. Pre-call there is no issue it is only after a call, inbound or outbound, while using the head set. No one has responded to their post either, but the poster did try to recreate the issue with his wife's One and found that it also had this issue. Due to the lack of response to you or him I'm inclined to say that the number of users using headphones for calling is either very low or very rare. Either way It sounds like a bug of some kind and there may not be an answer here at AC forums. My advice would be to contact HTC either directly or check the forum boards over at HTC Forums - HTC Smartphone Community and Discussions .

Here is a link to that thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-one/369371-htc-one-headphone-mic-stays.html

Ninjatogo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Static nosie issues

Do you hear the noise when intentional sounds (music, calls) are playing?
My thinking is the noise is simply from the amplifier. I can hear a very quiet static noise when using high sensitivity ear buds, but using larger headphones (Sony XB-500) the static doesn't have enough energy to move the drivers.

Sebastian Berg

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
It is clearly coming from the mic when I play music or other sounds, doesn't matter which player I use, not a static amp noise, usually the static noise it is coming from the close proximity between amp and the antenna.
But I've also discovered that the mic/noise/static most often appears, mic does not turn off, when not hanging up after a call, just let the other person hangup. It comes and the only thing that help is to restart the phone.
And now after the 4.4 update. When making a call the speaker is automatically turned on and bashing my eardrums back to 1874.

Unfortunately it appears that this is not a common problem.

rkh06

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same exact problem--after a call, my headphone mic remains on & the resulting noise drives me crazy when I try to listen to music after hanging up. I never noticed the problem until after the KitKat update, & the only way to fix it is to restart the phone.

Sebastian Berg

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same exact problem--after a call, my headphone mic remains on & the resulting noise drives me crazy when I try to listen to music after hanging up. I never noticed the problem until after the KitKat update, & the only way to fix it is to restart the phone.

Fast solution which works for me.
If you notice that the mic is on, pull out the aux contact, just call anybody and hang up directly (Also I noticed that the speaker also turned on when calling somebody after disconnecting the aux contact), plug-in the head phones again and the mic should be turned off.
Hope this help somebody.

Still really annoying problem thou.

nate888

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Was looking for a permanent solution to a similar problem i have - I only notice the static hiss when listening to music apps. The mic is always on and picks up noise. The one thing I find that works for me is after i start my music app and hear the hiss in the background, I open Google Now, and click the microphone to turn it off. It stays off until the next time i reopen the app. With the hiss now gone, It is like turning on Dolby NR. At least Google Now is only a swipe away. Hope that works for you.

Gary Bing

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I found another way to stop the mic noise after a call is to swipe up from home button to load google now. Then just press home to close it. That usually stops the mic noise.

Pat Kerby

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have had this problem since I got this dumb phone, not to mention the HDMI problems, and a few others. I am on my 3rd HTC One! All have been doing this as well! I just read a post in HTC News & Updates App, they finally recognize this problem and are supposed to be addressing it with a Mic Bug patch! Don't know when we will see it tho! Still waiting for the Kit Kat update fix!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I just ran into this today, while running. The wind noise through the mic was so loud I could hardly hear the music.
I'll remember all of these tricks next time, and hopefully one will work.

I ended up rebooting the phone. That is the only thing that worked.

mikman11

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm this is fixed with the HTC One M7 update to Sense 6.0. This drove me nuts! Thankfully HTC recognized it and fixed it. so cross your fingers that your carriers roll out the update as quickly as they did in Canada.

mikman11

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Looks like this bug is back with the android lollipop update :-( probably won't ever see it fix now, it's unlikely that the M7 will see any more updates at this point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc