HTC One battery dropped to 0% (and water indicator question)

Mayanism

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
So, I dropped my HTC One in water recently, and I kept it in rice and damprid for around 4 days to dry. Yesterday, I removed my phone from the rice, and plugged it into the charger.

The red led light kept blinking, while it was charging but I thought that must be because it was drained so I left it there for a good 5 hours until I went back and saw it was still blinking. I switched it on (with the charger plugged in), and it turned on fine, but the battery was not charging and just stayed there at 0%. I removed the charger and it turned off. I repeated that like 3 times or more, and it was the same thing all over again.

*Weird thing is, when I plug in the charger, the led light stays on for a good 5 seconds then starts blinking (why?)

Anyway, I left it on the charge all night, after reading some threads on here. This morning, I switched on the phone and it was at 26% and I got so excited. I removed the charger to see if it would stay on, and it did! So I decided it would be best if I just left it OFF and kept it on the charge until I came back from uni. I left and the led light was STABLE and not blinking!

After I came back, which was 6 hours later, I ran to my phone and saw that led light was blinking again...so I switched it on to see if it was charging or if it had charged more since then and found that the battery meter was back at 0% !!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :/

Well, its obviously because water came, but I mean how come it charged and then went back to 0% if it was on the charge! Help!!! :'(

Also, I was wondering about the water patch on the phone...is it only in the Flash area? Because I was wondering if I could give it back to where I bought it so they fix it for free under Warranty if I havent voided it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Getting the motherboard and other components wet can cause a myriad of malfunctions which is why getting the phone internals wet immediately voids the warranty...

I think the blinking red LED means that the phones battery is completely discharged and the phone can't start. I saw it before one of the times the phone died on me and I tried to turn it back on. Charging it for a few minutes allowed it to start. But that could just be a general battery issue, I don't know.

As for the phone charging to 26% then going back to 0%, just a guess but there probably an issue between the charging circuitry and battery or charging circuitry and CPU and the phone can't read the battery properly.

I thought the moisture detection strip was underneath the SIM card in the slot. That's the only place you can see inside the phone without dismantling it.

Mayanism

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I realized after I posted this that when I went into the battery settings, it had "discharging" written on it..but what does that mean?
Plus it turns on as long as the charger is hooked in but as soon as I take it out it goes off. So you might be right about the charging circuitry issue.

I came across a couple of threads that mentioned that the water patch is in the flash area and that it turns red if water goes in there, so I'm not sure :/ I tried searching for more information regarding the water patch and couldn't find anything about it.

I'm going to keep it on the charge all night again and see what happens tomorrow morning, otherwise it's off to get fixed.
I know that the warranty might be voided, but maybe there is a slight chance I can lie and they will be able to fix it without finding out :p I'll play dumb and tell them that I don't know why this is happening. haha

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I realized after I posted this that when I went into the battery settings, it had "discharging" written on it..but what does that mean?
Plus it turns on as long as the charger is hooked in but as soon as I take it out it goes off. So you might be right about the charging circuitry issue.

I came across a couple of threads that mentioned that the water patch is in the flash area and that it turns red if water goes in there, so I'm not sure :/ I tried searching for more information regarding the water patch and couldn't find anything about it.

I'm going to keep it on the charge all night again and see what happens tomorrow morning, otherwise it's off to get fixed.
I know that the warranty might be voided, but maybe there is a slight chance I can lie and they will be able to fix it without finding out :p I'll play dumb and tell them that I don't know why this is happening. haha

"Discharging" just means the phone battery isn't charging. It's either charging or discharging.

Just tell them it's malfunctioning and let them figure out why. You're not obligated to tell them anything you may have done to cause it to malfunctioning.

Often times if the phone is still basically functional, they'll overlook possible negligence. If you can, just make sure it has enough charge for them to poke around in the software. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta