HTC One: Convert carrier model to unlocked manufacturer model?

Ninjatogo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I've got a few questions regarding updates on Android. Before that though, I must say, I've seen threads and tutorials online on how to convert a developer model to a Google Play edition. What I want to do is convert my regular consumer model (UK EE) into a stock/unlocked factory model. Is this possible? If so, how hard is it to do, and where can I find a guide? I really want to unlock the phone, but I'm a little scared to try anything. I've never rooted/unlocked an Android device before, nor have I installed any custom ROMs.
Any help would be appreciated. :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I've got a few questions regarding updates on Android. Before that though, I must say, I've seen threads and tutorials online on how to convert a developer model to a Google Play edition. What I want to do is convert my regular consumer model (UK EE) into a stock/unlocked factory model. Is this possible? If so, how hard is it to do, and where can I find a guide? I really want to unlock the phone, but I'm a little scared to try anything. I've never rooted/unlocked an Android device before, nor have I installed any custom ROMs.
Any help would be appreciated. :)
Well, if you have a GSM device and want to unlock it, you'll likely have to contact your carrier and see what they can do to provide the necessary unlock code. That'll at least allow you to take the device onto another carrier (if it was previously locked) and use on other networks.

As to ROMs, you'll need to root and unlock the bootloader. Depending on your model the process may be different. But for the most part, I believe you may refer to HTC's developer bootloader unlock program to achieve that. Installing ROMs can be pretty straight forward, so be sure to read up on your model One and understand the process thoroughly before attempting to flash a custom ROM.

Ninjatogo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. My phone is already unlocked in terms of the carrier usage, I'm just trying to install the original unlocked ROM so I can get my updates straight from HTC rather than the original carrier (EE in this case). Would that work if I installed a ROM?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay