Bought a second-hand One, first time and need help

Wayne Cheah

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys of Android Central, I am jumping off from Symbian OS to Android! Bought myself a second-hand One for 300$ and I love the build quality, Boom Sound and all that!

However, it appears that I have been somewhat cheated by the previous owner, he's told me that it has a remainder of 3 month warranty left with HTC, but it expires next month. :X So I kinda have to look around my phone to see if there are any issues that I can highlight on when I send it (please do tell me if the problems I am about to mention are worth sending to HTC and leave me without a working phone for weeks)

Current issues I am encountering are:

1) It LAGS when playing games, watching Youtube and using the Facebook app, I am unsure if this is normal, but from what I see on the reviews, it should be close to buttery smooth, right? Come on, I didn't think the frame rate would drop to (roughly 20 fps?) on Jetpack Joyride! It just keeps stuttering! D:

2) I have triple checked with the previous owner on the rear camera issue on whether it'd have the tint problems, he had informed me that he had already gotten it fixed, which I believe it is. HOWEVER it did not occur to me to check the front-facing camera.. here's how the front-facing camera looks like (please forgive me if I am violating any image size limit on this forums. :\).
mrl7zo7j2i.jpg

It is WAY worse in lower-light, really, really RED. Tried Googling about, not much complaints on the red tint on the FRONT camera, should I get it fixed with HTC? Tried fiddling with the settings, doesn't change much, red tints are still present, is that normal?

3) Err, don't think there's any more other than the issues highlighted above, could you please suggest me to check on any common issues that I might have left out? So that I may request for a warranty-covered repair.

P/S: The lags and red tints are present no matter the phone's temperature, I've tried it in both coldness and warmth.

I have not attempted on rooting the phone or anything at all, here are the versions:

Android 4.4.2

HTC Sense 5.5

Software Number 4.20.707.6

HTC SDK API level 5.69

Kernel Ver. 3.4.10-g499e571
root@abm010 #1 (uhhh HELP! is this phone rooted? Because I see the word root in the kernel! Just noticed this omgomg)

Baseband version 4A.23.3263.28_10.38r.1157.04L

Browser version Webkit/534.30

Also to note: When I booted this phone for the first time, there was a welcome page to set up and things, and the camera image count was from 0001, but it came with an extra app called Wechat (it's a popular Whatsapp alternative here in Malaysia) I am unsure if the phone has been factory reset before it was handed to me, because if it was, I don't think resetting it again would help much, right?

Thank you so much for reading! Would really appreciate any help I can get!

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Try doing a full reset of the phone - you should not experience ANY lag whatsoever on any version of Android that is available on the M7. I am not sure why you are getting the red tint on the front camera as I have not seen that reported anywhere either, so if it is persistent you may want to use that remaining time on the warranty to arrange a repair.

As for the reference to the root: no it does not mean the phone is rooted.

Wayne Cheah

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Try doing a full reset of the phone - you should not experience ANY lag whatsoever on any version of Android that is available on the M7. I am not sure why you are getting the red tint on the front camera as I have not seen that reported anywhere either, so if it is persistent you may want to use that remaining time on the warranty to arrange a repair.

As for the reference to the root: no it does not mean the phone is rooted.

hi gwappa, I have attempted a full reset, installed Jetpack Joyride as the first app from Play Store, performance issues still persist... :\ The Pi Benchmark was 140, AnTuTu is 28403.. so benchmark-wise it doesn't seem to be showing any issues.. I shall arrange for a repair, then, but any idea of what they would attempt to do on my phone? Thanks

EDIT: by the way, is there an app available for me to observe the framerates while I am playing games? So that I may report them here.

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure what could be causing the lag, you may want to arrange repair. As for the benchmarks - the HTC One has been known to cheat when benchmarking software is used I read somewhere.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey