Sprint M7: jumps from usable 3G to no throughput 4G

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can pinpoint when this started happening, so I can't say if it correlates with any update.

But lately I'll be doing some light browsing, no heavy downloads, where I actually have decent 3G speed on Sprint and everything is fine.

Then all of a sudden, it will switch to 4G with one or no bars of reception (-115 to -120 dB according to Network Info app) and then there is zero data flow. Not slow, just nothing will load until the browser times out.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I can go into the settings and switch to CDMA only, but I don't think I should have to do that just to have a working data signal. I imagine Sprint is trying to keep as many people off 3G as possible, but the threshold to connect to 4G is far too low.

I'm eligible for an upgrade for some reason, so I'm wondering if I should just get a new phone and forget about it. But other than this, I have no issues with the M7 so I'm trying to find if maybe there is something wonky in this individual unit. I've had this one since right near launch and this is the first phone I've kept over a year. But this is the first thing that's giving me cause to spend money on an upgrade. It's extremely annoying to be in a store trying to do research on a product only to have it jump over to 4G and leave me dead in the water.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think is your phone, I think is the Sprint signal.
I have a GS5 and that same thing has happened to me a few times in places where 4G signal is marginal.
When I call Sprint about it they'll just say they are upgrading the towers or improving the service in that area.
Yea right!

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It's the Sprint network. I get this all the time. Will probably dump Sprint when my contract is up. This has been gong on way too long.

decypher44

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's Sprint. They are still upgrading their towers. Sprint still sucks, and I'm planning on leaving them soon. I've stuck with them for years, but the speeds and horrible 4G is too painful.

decypher44

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Dame here I have sero P and I'm ready to leave sprint and pay more for better service.

Same here! I've been on a SERO plan for ages (have updated SERO plan now), and I'm not only going to lose a great deal, I'm planning on paying the ETF just to get away from Sprint.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
You pay 50 too? The only thing I'm worried about is the throttled after 1 gig. Also I have tep and it's 76 a month after taxes I figure tmobike is the same with their 60 dollar plan.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it's Sprint. They are still upgrading their towers. Sprint still sucks, and I'm planning on leaving them soon. I've stuck with them for years, but the speeds and horrible 4G is too painful.

That is Sprint's excuse for years. How long does it take to upgrade a tower? 3 years?. In my hometown we were upgraded to 4G last August. It worked great until about 3 months ago. Now all I can get is 3G. And it's not very reliable. According to Sprint they have deactivated the 4G tower by me. So even if you are waiting for 4G from Sprint they might take it away after you get it. As soon as my contract is up I am gone.