Some basic HTC "search"-related questions:

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for reading:

1) When looking to move an email to another folder, after I click "move to" it lists every single sub folder as one long list, as opposed to just listing the folders themselves. As a result, my list is incredibly long as I have hundreds of sub folders. Any way to change this?

2) How come I can only search by name in contacts? When I put in a company name that related to one of the contacts, nothing shows up.

3) Is there any way to search the entire phone for a particular word? When I do the GOOGLE search sometimes it gives me the "search phone" option and other times it doesn't. Is there no way to search the phone directly?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
1. This probably depends on your app. What app are you using? I use MailDroid and it lists folders windows style with sub folders slightly indented from the folder it's in and so on.

2. Open your people app>touch the three dots in the upper right hand corner>Settings>Search contacts by, there all of the categories are listed and can be checked or unchecked.

3. I'm not sure what you want to do with this??? Like what, as in the name of an app, a word in a file or document, just a word??? I don't understand, please give an example. In the meantime I will say this if you use Google search you can go into settings and set all of the different categories you want it to search. Perhaps something in there will give you the search item you're looking for, otherwise I'll just wait for your response.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
1. This probably depends on your app. What app are you using? I use MailDroid and it lists folders windows style with sub folders slightly indented from the folder it's in and so on.

2. Open your people app>touch the three dots in the upper right hand corner>Settings>Search contacts by, there all of the categories are listed and can be checked or unchecked.

3. I'm not sure what you want to do with this??? Like what, as in the name of an app, a word in a file or document, just a word??? I don't understand, please give an example. In the meantime I will say this if you use Google search you can go into settings and set all of the different categories you want it to search. Perhaps something in there will give you the search item you're looking for, otherwise I'll just wait for your response.

Thanks for your reply.

I use all stock HTC apps, no 3rd aprty.
I will look into your answers 1 and 2.

As for the the phone search: on my IPAD (and on old blackberries) you used to be able to do a word search for the ENTIRE phone. So for example, if I wants to search ABC Industries, it will show me anything related to those words (email, contacts, texts, etc). Sometimes I forget the name of a person but I know their company name, so I want to search for the latter, which in turn will show me anything on my phone related to that company.

Finally, how exactly do I do a GOOGLE phone search and change its settings?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It's Google Now formally Google Search. It's the plain blue Google icon in your app drawer. For me holding my home button opens the menu with the option for settings. If you have a menu button that should open it.

Posted via Android Central App

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
It's Google Now formally Google Search. It's the plain blue Google icon in your app drawer. For me holding my home button opens the menu with the option for settings. If you have a menu button that should open it.

Thanks-my question is regarding once the app is opened.
I will type in the name of say, a company, and it just gives me internet results. Its doesnt give me the option nor show results, for searching my actual phone.

At other times (and it appears to be completely random) there will be a "search phone" option, which is an additional step. How do I get it to search my phone?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you add the search field for companies to your people settings? That should help. Then you could also say something like, "show my contact numbers for (insert company name)" and see if you get any different results. I'd try varying what you ask for instead of just saying a company name. I know Google Now is pretty good at a lot of things and not so good at some things that seem intuitive. There may be an official list of things you can ask for on-line somewhere that could help you sorry this out too. I'd vary my searches to try and find something that worked, cause we all know the definition of insanity.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia